You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does the world need another indie band?

cochcaer

It's nothing to do with Indie. Anybody who knows there music knows that The Fratellis, The Kooks, The Wombats, The Pigeon Detectives etc are not indie and never will be. However, people make the lazy assumption that they are indie because they all have long hair and make guitar music. The fact is that they are nothing but utter fucking dross, but get plenty of attention because they appeal, in effect, to people who don't like music. People who don't like to be challenged. People who don't like to think. People who have no attention span whatsoever.

For me, indie (as in independent record label) music was at its best in the 80s with the likes of The Smiths, Half Man Half Biscuit, Orange Juice, The Fall and The Wedding Present. There's still some decent indie music out there at the moment; I'm something of an Edgar Jones fan and it does my head in when people lazily use such a term to categorise the NME's flavour of the month.

Radio stations, record labels, the NME and the British public are all to blame for the drab music scene today. As Paul Weller once said, "what the public wants is what the public gets", and that is ultimately what it boils down to.

They mean the 'sound of indie' as promoted by the music industry. Edgar's not an 'indie -sound' musician, HMHB are, but probably the best at it. The modern day 'indie' are doing it by numbers, completely missing the point and just going for an untrained vocal or guitar sound - the irony being that many of them are extrememly well trained. That's the problem, no big leaps of interest because they know too well what they are doing and they probably don't like Stevie Wonder.

I think the article is right about many young bands rushing out albums when they haven't yet developed their sound or style. Maybe it's the curse of Myspace that some are quickly signed up, their demo's professionally recorded, and a debut album released. When it then comes to a follow-up they've no strong material.

I recall Gallagher saying that he wrote enough for three albums before they were signed; tho Be Here Now was obviously the dregs.

Who would you label as great?

Lullaby for the Working Class, even though they've been defunct for years, they were more folk, but on indie label Saddle Creak, which is my favorite label.

In fact, I enjoy most everything on that label:

Bright Eyes

The Good Life

Cursive

Now it's Overhead

The Faint (at least until this next album)

Deseparecidos (defunct, but I keep hoping they make a second album)

Arts & Crafts, a Canadian Label has some great stuff on it as well.

Stars

The Most Serene Republic

The Stills (although I heard their most recent album isn't that great)

I've just realized that Sony distributes for Saddle Creek, and EMI Canada distributes for Arts & Crafts. I can't find anything about either label being owned in any way by the respective major labels, so whether or not they still class as indie's...I'll leave it to you.

One band I've been digging big time just signed to label Low Altitude Records in March I think....I know they had no management until at least then...Oh right the name of the band is Paper Route out of Nashville, Tenn. I'm not really sure how I'd describe their sound, it's a little weird at times. Anyway, check out their site. Or Don't.

[YOUTUBE]s6wOxoGioiM[/YOUTUBE]

You can listen to their entire new EP here

It's nothing to do with Indie. Anybody who knows there music knows that The Fratellis, The Kooks, The Wombats, The Pigeon Detectives etc are not indie and never will be. However, people make the lazy assumption that they are indie because they all have long hair and make guitar music. The fact is that they are nothing but utter fucking dross, but get plenty of attention because they appeal, in effect, to people who don't like music. People who don't like to be challenged. People who don't like to think. People who have no attention span whatsoever.

For me, indie (as in independent record label) music was at its best in the 80s with the likes of The Smiths, Half Man Half Biscuit, Orange Juice, The Fall and The Wedding Present. There's still some decent indie music out there at the moment; I'm something of an Edgar Jones fan and it does my head in when people lazily use such a term to categorise the NME's flavour of the month.

Radio stations, record labels, the NME and the British public are all to blame for the drab music scene today. As Paul Weller once said, "what the public wants is what the public gets", and that is ultimately what it boils down to.

Yeah, that's perfectly put really. Nice arse mate.

Not literally, obviously.

Bright Eyes

The Good Life

Cursive

Now it's Overhead

The Faint (at least until this next album)

Deseparecidos (defunct, but I keep hoping they make a second album

I think the thrust of the article was the UK scene not gay emo/US college radio.

Ouch- I like the Fratellis and I also like to think on the odd occasion.....

:lol:

Good thread. Stole my thunder a bit. I was going to come here today to whinge about Vampire Weekend. I keep hearing about new "indie" bands up and coming and they generally all turn out to be shite. I've heard people I consider to have a good taste in music rave about Vampire Weekend. Got myself a copy of the album, turned it off after about 7 tracks. What a pile of Wombat-ish shit.

Where is the Indie with Attitude? What's with all the poppy, boppy pseudo-indie shite?

My music collection needs a makeover and I want to add a whole bunch of new indie music to it but decent indie with an edge.

What are we recommending, good musos of the GF? Help out a Uruk Hai captain in need.

Ta.

its just needs top bands that can play their guitars, drums and that, theirs too many people in the music industry who are shouldn't be classed as musicians, theirs a lack of good bands about and too much x factor shite goin on.

I hate the by-products. The idiot presenters (most of which try to copy Simon Amstell from about 5 years ago) asking stupid questions with that cocky knowing look on their face that says "I get the joke".

That dude with teh glasses, wears tight jeans and a cardie and has weird hair and a either yorkshire or lancashire accent is the worst. I hate him with a passion.

Guest TK-421

Arts & Crafts, a Canadian Label has some great stuff on it as well.

They have the mighty Constantines and that's good enough for me.

Hamfatter : dragons den. Good idea, not a mind blowing band.

I think we have too many bands who can play their instruments, loads of Brit School, LIPA etc trainees around. What's needed are shabby amateurs with great ideas who will eventually become great musicians..

Hamfatter : dragons den. Good idea, not a mind blowing band.

I think we have too many bands who can play their instruments, loads of Brit School, LIPA etc trainees around. What's needed are shabby amateurs with great ideas who will eventually become great musicians..

Get on their website now. Everyone's on there blowing smoke up their arses.

Please feel free to add your own comments cos you just know the band is looking.(6)

I went to see the Kaiser Chiefs at the MEN. The Pigeon Detectives were supporting them and they were dross. I have no idea wether they are Indie or not. Or even what Indie truly is. I have no more to add to the debate.

Edit : But not as big a pile of dross as The Good Shoes, who were the first support band. Now they were really really really really really shit.

Edit 2 : Now I really don't have anything more to add to the debate.

Ok, as I have permission. Was just going to say that I'd only given the album a cursory listen before I saw them, but that I really enjoyed them as a live act. I suspect you may be right about their longevity though.