You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does the world need another indie band?

cochcaer

There's a load of great American guitar bands around at the moment; Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver & White Denim to name a few. Most "indie" stuff from this country is utter gash and I'm in a job where I have to listen to a lot of this stuff.

The Arctics are pretty much the only exception to the rule over the last few years. The Courteeners, Wombats, Kooks...what where the others...One Night Only, Kaiser Chiefs, how they ever got big I'll never know. All twattishly poor. The phrase I heard to describe this dross which instantly inspires the appropriate feelings of revulsion is a Soccer Saturday band.

I think the thrust of the article was the UK scene not gay emo/US college radio.

Have you heard Desaparecidos? If you have not you definitely should check them out. Only one album, and everyone should own it.

Here's the reason I don't take that article seriously. There's one of these every couple of years about a different genre. UK Indie might be going through a slow period, but it'll be back with a vengeance.

I think everyone is getting their ass kicked by Canada right now. The amount of excellent and creative artist coming out of Canada is staggering.

The Kaiser Chiefs aren't that poor at all; they're just pretty average guys who knocked together some half-decent and catchy tunes. I'm not a particularly big fan of them but I don't see why you'd have to hate them and say they are shite. If the worst that the mainsteam radio could throw at me was Kaiser Chiefs and The Wombats then things would be okay. But then they'd still be throwing them at me four times an hour and so I'd start to get tired of them; which is where the animosity comes from really isn't it?

I liked Kill the director when I first heard it and it's only hearing it 3000 times since that takes the sheen off.

If the media decided not too write about what they now consider 'landfill' and just wrote up what they thought was great rather than following the media/pr pack, they wouldn't have to disown whole swathes of bands after a year or two.

As if.