You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watchmen

Anubis

Rogert Ebert sez: "After the revelation of The Dark Knight, here is Watchmen, another bold exercise in the liberation of the superhero movie. It’s a compelling visceral film — sound, images and characters combined into a decidedly odd visual experience that evokes the feel of a graphic novel. It seems charged from within by its power as a fable; we sense it’s not interested in a plot so much as with the dilemma of functioning in a world losing hope."

Four stars out of four.

Watched this today and found it rather interesting but at the same time not entirely convinced and slightly confused. Well over 2 and half hours running time, but did not seem enough in regards to the plot and direction of the storyline. Seemed squeezed and the editing cut was pretty horrendous, which may have been local.

All in all, I did find it compelling and some the of character potrayals superb, espcially Roshak. Would have to watch it again on DVD to really quantify its quality.

Fucking Newsnight Review. Just turned over hoping Kermode would be slating Watchmen as anything Kermode hates I usually love, but the arrogant opinionated little gobshite wasn't on.

Instead, some Helena Bonham-Cateralike, dressed like Gypsy Rose Lee, was busy giving away major plot spoilers. Ok if, like me, you've read the graphic novel, but pretty fucking shit if you haven't but want to go and see it. It's like they can't help themselves, isn't it. Oooooooooo, I've seen it first so now I'll show my critical superiority by fucking over the plebs.

Ted it seems like you didn't want to like it from the start and went in with the wrong mindset to appreciate it.

I didn't think it was to long it didn't seem like 2h40m for me. Admittedly there were a few lulls in between the action sequences but I didn't find them boring they were crucial to building the characters and the back story if you didn't have that no one would know what was going on. If anything I think it could of even been longer, apparently the directors cut is about half an hour longer so I can't wait for the dvd.

Rorschach was the star of the film, the scenes when he was in prison were great and all the flashback bits showing the characters origins like how Doctor Manhattan came about and the comedian in Vietnam were also great.

Even the opening credits I loved, showing all the watchmen playing a part in some of the major events in American history.

Then there was some hot chick action and lots of graphic violence what's not to like?

Saw it last night and I liked it quite a lot. It was visually good and, more importantly, it kept pretty much all of the themes of the novel intact and didn't try to simplify them or dumb them down. There were a few things they took creative license with that weren't true to the novel but nothing of massive significance (although why they changed the scene with the guy who kills the little girl I have no idea; shame that).

Rorschach's mask continually changing shade annoyed me a bit though.

Saw it last night and I liked it quite a lot. It was visually good and, more importantly, it kept pretty much all of the themes of the novel intact and didn't try to simplify them or dumb them down. There were a few things they took creative license with that weren't true to the novel but nothing of massive significance (although why they changed the scene with the guy who kills the little girl I have no idea; shame that).

Rorschach's mask continually changing shade annoyed me a bit though.

What did they change? I liked that scene

Saw it this morning. I thought it was excellent. It isn't the graphic novel, buy it was never going to be. I'd echo pretty much everything Stu said.

I had no idea it was 2hr 40min long. It certainly didn't seem like it. I'm not sure what your average cinemagoer will make of it though, as a lot of people will go expecting a typical superhero film, not realising that they will be getting a character driven story as opposed to an action film. And some of those fights were far more violent than I was expecting.

I watched it last night and thought it was fantastic! I hadn't a clue about the novels before watching it but nontheless i thought the story was compelling.

The editing and mise-en-scene was also quite beautiful at times and the moral questions that were asked during the film really made me think well after the credits had finished....

Anyone going expecting an action packed 3 odd hours shouldn't go though...

Ted it seems like you didn't want to like it from the start and went in with the wrong mindset to appreciate it.

I didn't think it was to long it didn't seem like 2h40m for me. Admittedly there were a few lulls in between the action sequences but I didn't find them boring they were crucial to building the characters and the back story if you didn't have that no one would know what was going on. If anything I think it could of even been longer, apparently the directors cut is about half an hour longer so I can't wait for the dvd.

Rorschach was the star of the film, the scenes when he was in prison were great and all the flashback bits showing the characters origins like how Doctor Manhattan came about and the comedian in Vietnam were also great.

Even the opening credits I loved, showing all the watchmen playing a part in some of the major events in American history.

Then there was some hot chick action and lots of graphic violence what's not to like?

I know it seems like that but I really didn't. I just don't think you could do that book justice on screen. Snyder was very very faithful to the source material but he's more Michael Bay than Christopher Nolan and it's all style over substance.

Far too much slo-mo for me too.

It could have been a hell of a lot worse though.

I watched it last night and thought it was fantastic! I hadn't a clue about the novels before watching it but nontheless i thought the story was compelling.

The editing and mise-en-scene was also quite beautiful at times and the moral questions that were asked during the film really made me think well after the credits had finished....

Anyone going expecting an action packed 3 odd hours shouldn't go though...

I thought it was anything but action packed. Granted there are moments of decent action punctuating the long, long dialouge scenes but there wasn't many.

Also, if Dr. Manhattan is the only true super hero, how the fuck can Rorsharch, Night Owl and Silk Spectre get thrown around a room and get twatted against massive pillars and shit and get up and brush it off?

Also, Night Owl fucking more or less flew at one point!

I thought it was anything but action packed. Granted there are moments of decent action punctuating the long, long dialouge scenes but there wasn't many.

Also, if Dr. Manhattan is the only true super hero, how the fuck can Rorsharch, Night Owl and Silk Spectre get thrown around a room and get twatted against massive pillars and shit and get up and brush it off?

Also, Night Owl fucking more or less flew at one point!

haha i said "any one expecting an action packed 3 hours SHOULDN'T go"...The film has a lot more to it than just action i thought.

haha i said "any one expecting an action packed 3 hours SHOULDN'T go"...The film has a lot more to it than just action i thought.

Yeah I know, I was agreeing with you! I was just expanding etc etc.

What did they change? I liked that scene

In the novel he handcuffs him to the furnace, given him a saw and sets fire to the place. As he's leaving he says something along the lines of "I wouldn't bother trying to cut through the hancuffs you haven't got time"; thus leaving the guy to burn or cut his own hands off.

Bit more fucked up.

I went yesterday.

I've only read half the book (up to where Manhattan went to Mars) and have to confess, up until that part of the film, I was bored shit less.

However, after I got past that part of it, I rather enjoyed it.

I thought the back stories could have been cut down a bit and more focus been given to the ending (even though I understood it).

Rorschach was excellent.

Could have done with a lot less of Manhattan's big blue cock though, I couldn't help but snigger every time it was on.