You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The thought of not having a car fills me with terror, not because I especially love driving, but public transport seems to be the domain of the scumbag more and more these days. Besides which it's £1.70 to go four miles into town from where I am anyway, plus I've got to share the back seat with a bunch of happy slapping morons.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always found this quote good for people complaining about the current situation and this was written 1500 years ago.

"It's my belief that history is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like, but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good time pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of time, like the best, are always passing away."

- Boethius, Consolation of Philosophy

I find that quite myopic myself.

I fucking love the tags, not just on this thread.

I've not been on here much for ages and these tags passed me by. I thought a while back "fuck me there's a lot of new posters with the word Quaresma in their username".

"Get to Aldi" and "Grow some tats" on this. Ace. (I don't understand how they work - but still Ace).

I can't comprehend having a full blown recession in this era for some reason. Whether it's because technology rapidly advances now, whether because we're all more connected via the internet or even the standards of living that we now have, I dunno but I can't see it happening to the degree that we had before.

I don't mean being unable to pay for the fuel, I mean not being able to buy one in the first place.

i stole mine.

Ok, maybe it wasn't stealing per se, more like it was his car in his name and i took the keys and never returned them, I wrote off that car by accident (honest) a few months later, put some money to the insurance payout to get another slightly newer one... its now my car though, right? ;)

Aye , he's doing a great job is Gordon, a great PM and no mistake, such an awesome leader never came my way, credit crunch? what credit crunch? only 3% inflation, course it is, only a cynic would suggest otherwise. Gawd bless ya Gord and thanks for everything, 10% tax, it's all a misunderstanding, nothing like them nasty Tories.

I can't comprehend having a full blown recession in this era for some reason. Whether it's because technology rapidly advances now, whether because we're all more connected via the internet or even the standards of living that we now have, I dunno but I can't see it happening to the degree that we had before.

It won't be early 80s or 90s recession ( i bloody hope not anyway). But those who have jobs in vulnerable occupations (housing, construction, property especially at the moment) will be the ones who really get hurt when they are unable to service their unsecured consumer debt and their 95% mortgages. There will be a lot of pain but it is probably a necessary correction as house inflation has been absurd and has to correct itself at least some of the way and consumer debt is equally out of control.

Interesting to see that FirstPlus that awful sub prime lender fronted by Vorderman is on its death bed. That twat "footie" bloke from Picture Loans will be looking for a job with any luck soon. Barclays stops loans at FirstPlus - Telegraph

I couldn't believe the criticism the Labour MP got a few weeks ago when he said that people should stop moaning during this recession because they've never had it so good.

I'm not sure if I agree with the phrasing but I agree with the principles behind what he said.

The poverty people speak of nowadays is fuck all compared to what the likes of my nan and grandad experiences in the post-war generation. Even people living below the poverty line nowadays can afford things like Sky telly, broadband, games consoles and a few tellies in their homes.

This post contains so much irrelevant nonsense it really is impossible to know where to start.

This post contains so much irrelevant nonsense it really is impossible to know where to start.

To qualify this i would make the following observations.

What relevance does the struggles of your Grandparents have with todays problems? You could just as easily dismiss their problems as irrelevant when set against those of say the Victorians or even the Medievals before them. The fact of the matter is that i have quite a few close friends who are struggling very very badly right now, reagardless of whether they can "log on " or watch Sky Television, still, it can't EVER be Labours fault can it?

I couldn't believe the criticism the Labour MP got a few weeks ago when he said that people should stop moaning during this recession because they've never had it so good.

I'm not sure if I agree with the phrasing but I agree with the principles behind what he said.

The poverty people speak of nowadays is fuck all compared to what the likes of my nan and grandad experiences in the post-war generation. Even people living below the poverty line nowadays can afford things like Sky telly, broadband, games consoles and a few tellies in their homes.

we all know our grandparents had it hard in their day. dripping on toast etc!. Now you have terribly well off folk,lottery winners etc out there. You didnt get that years back. This is 2008. Poor people are finding it hard believe me!Fairly dangerous levels of benefit to live on, due to rising bills etc.

How is the air quality up there Dirk ?

What, you mean you think I have my head in the clouds because I have no sympathy for the fact that you are struggling to fill your Mercedes/BMW/Audi/whatever car you drive with petrol? Oh the irony. There'll be millions of old people struggling to heat their homes this winter because of price hikes. Millions dying of starvation around the planet. Millions displaced because of erratic weather. A little perspective wouldn't go amiss. I'm the one with his head in the clouds? Mwhahahahahahahahaha. Get real. No doubt you will be bitching because your cruise controlled, air conditioned, mp3 estate car is costing you too much in petrol. Ungrateful bugger.

Edited by Dirk

Some of the posts in this thread only serve to remind me of todays modern Britain. There's a certain kind of "I'm allright Jack" smugness. It explains why the Labour Party has managed to ride out the storm surrounding the 10p tax cut which in the 70's they just wouldn't have gotten away with, but today -given it only effects the lowest paid -the great majority couldn't give a fuck.

There are a lot of people out there who are hurting financially (not just BMW drivers) and ,as you will see as this develops, the worker is probably less protected now than they ever were. Laugh it off at your peril folks.

Some of the posts in this thread only serve to remind me of todays modern Britain. There's a certain kind of "I'm allright Jack" smugness. It explains why the Labour Party has managed to ride out the storm surrounding the 10p tax cut which in the 70's they just wouldn't have gotten away with, but today -given it only effects the lowest paid -the great majority couldn't give a fuck.

There are a lot of people out there who are hurting financially (not just BMW drivers) and ,as you will see as this develops, the worker is probably less protected now than they ever were. Laugh it off at your peril folks.

Again, the irony. I'm alright Jack is being selfish, crying because you have to choose between a holiday and filling your car with petrol is the epitomy of alright Jack. I actually give a shite about other people and would never sell out on my ideals because it was profitable to do so. This thread wasn't about the Labour party, it was about people bitching about a recession. I earn £60 a week, my mother is severely mentally ill and I'm supposed to be "I'm alright Jack"? Who is worse off, me or you? Who is the one complaining about the economy and the financial strain? It's certainly not me.

I think the point I was trying to make is that people now are stuggling to maintain the standard of living they have at the present time. When in all honesty they were living way beyond thiers means to begin with.

Not everyone but there is a certain group of people who have motgaged and loan themselves way beyond what they can afford and are now bitching about it.

A mate of mine who has a massive house, his and her Mercs did not renew his golf membership this year because he couldn't afford it. I know how much he loves his golf and I suspect his bitch wife has told him to economise and the hobby has gone.

This is typical. Sell a car, you both work in the same place FFS.

I must be the only person around here who's gald house prices are falling, I might one day be able to afford something other than a shoebox.

No your not. I would like to move but fortunately I have a small mortgage and am not prepared to put myself in debt.

I pity those who spend beyond their means just to look good and say "OOOHHH I have a house with 10 bedrooms and 6 en-suites and a Merc in the drive don't you know".

Only spend what you can afford dickheads.

I pity those who spend beyond their means just to look good and say "OOOHHH I have a house with 10 bedrooms and 6 en-suites and a Merc in the drive don't you know".

Only spend what you can afford dickheads.

Agree in part, but young families have got no choice really these days than to go into debt due to the prices of homes.

One house we rented in 2001 had been bought three years earlier for 45k - it was a nice house too and would be easily doable even on my shit wages, but now (or last time I looked) it was 160k!

It's just not affordable, plus the way the housing market has rocketed has been slightly obscene and obviously engineered by some financial prime mover of whom I have no understanding (I take little interest in economics)

But the fact the simple basics (what could be a more basic need than a roof?) are out of reach for most has driven us all into this mess.

Banks also have to take a large share of the responsibility, I don't think everyone out there is taking loans out just to afford an Ipod and BMW, some are doing it to survive and are being actively PUSHED further and further into debt.

A good example, not long after I started this job I was on my arse financially (hadn't been paid for six weeks, the usual shit you get when you start a new job) and I'd gone £100 overdrawn. For being overdrawn the bank fined me £120.

I went in to basically PLEAD with them to ease up on the charges and she said: "oooh have you considered our graduate loan?!" I went "Yeah I've already got one! ( I used it to pay for my post-grad) so she goes, "hmm, how about one of our credit cards woooo!!!!" and I basically told her over my dead body as I'd not long paid the cunt off.

After much soul searching, she gave me £60 of my charges back, but had I been any less sensible - or more desperat - I could quite easily have walked out of that bank with ANOTHER 3-5k debt in my pocket, even though they KNEW I couldn't manage my own finances to begin with (I wouldn't have been there that day if I could)

Banks are cunts, the more of them that do collapse in the coming months the better, I'm quite happy to live off the land!!!

Agree in part, but young families have got no choice really these days than to go into debt due to the prices of homes.

One house we rented in 2001 had been bought three years earlier for 45k - it was a nice house too and would be easily doable even on my shit wages, but now (or last time I looked) it was 160k!

It's just not affordable, plus the way the housing market has rocketed has been slightly obscene and obviously engineered by some financial prime mover of whom I have no understanding (I take little interest in economics)

But the fact the simple basics (what could be a more basic need than a roof?) are out of reach for most has driven us all into this mess.

Banks also have to take a large share of the responsibility, I don't think everyone out there is taking loans out just to afford an Ipod and BMW, some are doing it to survive and are being actively PUSHED further and further into debt.

A good example, not long after I started this job I was on my arse financially (hadn't been paid for six weeks, the usual shit you get when you start a new job) and I'd gone £100 overdrawn. For being overdrawn the bank fined me £120.

I went in to basically PLEAD with them to ease up on the charges and she said: "oooh have you considered our graduate loan?!" I went "Yeah I've already got one! ( I used it to pay for my post-grad) so she goes, "hmm, how about one of our credit cards woooo!!!!" and I basically told her over my dead body as I'd not long paid the cunt off.

After much soul searching, she gave me £60 of my charges back, but had I been any less sensible - or more desperat - I could quite easily have walked out of that bank with ANOTHER 3-5k debt in my pocket, even though they KNEW I couldn't manage my own finances to begin with (I wouldn't have been there that day if I could)

Banks are cunts, the more of them that do collapse in the coming months the better, I'm quite happy to live off the land!!!

Agree with that and everything else you said. The point i was trying to make was that some people see having a massive house (they like to tell anyone who will listen how much it costs) and a big car, all the latest gear etc as a staus symbol that somehow puts them into the higher echelons of society, when in reality most people couldn't give a fuck.

It's when they start crying poverty (sic), that it pisses me off, they are always looking for something or someone else to blame apart from themselves.

The thing about the coming recession is that it's not just going to be spoiled-get-rich-quick types who are going to suffer. It's going to be pretty much anyone who's bought a house or flat in at least the last five years, and anyone who works in jobs even half-connected to construction or retail.

At the moment, I'd agree it seems a bit unreal/overblown on the surface. By the end of the winter, I think it's going to look anything but.

Again, the irony. I'm alright Jack is being selfish, crying because you have to choose between a holiday and filling your car with petrol is the epitomy of alright Jack. I actually give a shite about other people and would never sell out on my ideals because it was profitable to do so. This thread wasn't about the Labour party, it was about people bitching about a recession. I earn £60 a week, my mother is severely mentally ill and I'm supposed to be "I'm alright Jack"? Who is worse off, me or you? Who is the one complaining about the economy and the financial strain? It's certainly not me.

Actually my post wasn't aimed at you read my post again. It was aimed at the posters who think that the only people hit by this recession are people who own 4 bedroom houses with a beemer parked outside- it's effecting a lot of people across the spectrum.Don't get all high and mighty on me because I've had a pop at your beloved Labour party. I grew up under Labour and voted Labour but at the end of the day they are the party in government and the finger has to be pointed at them, it may not have been part of the original thread but so what ? Sometimes discussions can go off at a tangent.

What, you mean you think I have my head in the clouds because I have no sympathy for the fact that you are struggling to fill your Mercedes/BMW/Audi/whatever car you drive with petrol? Oh the irony. There'll be millions of old people struggling to heat their homes this winter because of price hikes. Millions dying of starvation around the planet. Millions displaced because of erratic weather. A little perspective wouldn't go amiss. I'm the one with his head in the clouds? Mwhahahahahahahahaha. Get real. No doubt you will be bitching because your cruise controlled, air conditioned, mp3 estate car is costing you too much in petrol. Ungrateful bugger.

It's a company Merc he's driving, so I don't think he pays for the petrol anyway.....

**slopes off having stirred some shit**

I'm staggered as to how imprudent the banks have been: offering £250K mortgages to couples on £15-18K salaries. Fuckin' madness. But hey! their sales were up and they hit their targets! the banking business has gone tits-up since they started employing glorified check-out boys as branch managers, simply because they could sell more money to needy credit-junkies. It's a sham, and Gordon Brown is now spuffing billions of taxpayers money to keep it going. Grr!