You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England v South Africa

Spy Bee

Can anyone see Vaughan hitting a match winning knock like Smith did today? He's been great captain and lead from the front in the past, but he no longer deserves to be captain, nor does he deserve a spot in the team. South Africa are an excellent and talented team, but we have gone backwards in a big way since the Ashes win in 2005.

Who would you have then? Freddie would be the obvious choice, were it not for him being in and out of the team due to injury. Cook maybe? Pietersen?

England do need to get sorted, though, as South Africa is the toughest test they will have before the Ashes, especially it being at home. Then again, there are still a few in the Aussie team getting old in the tooth and would be doubtful for the Ashes next year, Hayden being the obvious one. Still, it's a guessing game as to who will be in either team, although England having the only genuine spinner between both teams come next year will be an advantage to England.

Should be interesting though.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my close mates is agent to Surrey's Saqlain Mustaque and Murtaza Hussein - and I got these amazing tickets to sit in the Executive Lounge at the Oval for next Thursday - what a waste that is going to be now - it will be a meaningless test. Fuck me we need to get Bopara and a few others on board, it's just fucking shite. The "dressing room" has become an old boys club.

We?

KP will get it, but I'm not too sure he's got the right mentality. He's not a team player, but I think there's a chance it could be the making of him.

It's an interesting one, as you look at Lara and Tendulkar and the captaincy didn't exactly take their careers to a new level, was more like a burden to them.

Other than the injury issues he's had, does anyone else not think that Flintoff wouldn't be a decent choice? He's a team man, could get help from some deputies regarding tactics, but is very much an inspirational player. Other than that, I'd say Pietersen is worth a go at least, as it could make him a more mature player.

Has Collingwood quit as well? Weird.

He's quit because the ideal is to have one captain for tests and ODI's. Obviously he wants to focus on his form too.

I like Flintoff, but I think his injury record means he is unlikely to be named captain. I think I'd go for Cook, but I'll be very suprised in KP doesn't get it. The more I think about it the more the responsibility may do him good.

He's quit because the ideal is to have one captain for tests and ODI's. Obviously he wants to focus on his form too.

I like Flintoff, but I think his injury record means he is unlikely to be named captain. I think I'd go for Cook, but I'll be very suprised in KP doesn't get it. The more I think about it the more the responsibility may do him good.

I think it'll fill our our best batsman's boots with concrete personally. His weakness is his ego, that'll be amplified if he's made captain.

I think it'll fill our our best batsman's boots with concrete personally. His weakness is his ego, that'll be amplified if he's made captain.

Will it? I don't know. I think he may just be a little more responsible. It might make him put the team first.

Other than the injury issues he's had, does anyone else not think that Flintoff wouldn't be a decent choice? He's a team man, could get help from some deputies regarding tactics, but is very much an inspirational player. Other than that, I'd say Pietersen is worth a go at least, as it could make him a more mature player.

Flintoff disgraced himself getting pissed and was stripped of the vice captaincy, coupled with the fact he still really needs to prove his fitness, I am not sure the selectors will go that way.

I was really sad seeing Vaughan so upset, but it is the right decision and perhaps it should have happened earlier (after the NZ tests). His recent batting average is only slightly better than Monty's.

As for who to make captain, I think it is a poisoned challis and we put too much importance on it. It seems to affect the amount of runs the guy gets. I would rotate the the captaincy for a while. For KP I actually think it would settle him down and take more responsibility but I may be in the minority in my thinking; if you take the ego away from him then you lose something. In my opinion he is best when he plays without too much care and lets his natural ability guide him (even if some do call all of his dismissals a result of his ego). Cook is an obvious pick (and will one day make a great captain) but the guy is still young and it may be too much for him to carry at the moment.

I'm gutted for Vaughan but at least he chose to go and wasn't forced out. He's the best captain England has ever had and will be remembered for the 2005 Ashes in years to come.

As for the next captain, I think it will be Pietersen but only because he's the only player guaranteed a place in both the Test and One Day side. That in itself is a sad state of affairs. Pietersen will be an exciting, interesting choice but I doubt that he'll be anywhere near the level of Vaughan, or Hussain for that matter, and I wouldn't give him the job. His lack of experience goes against him but he is our best player and it could work.

Personally I think a good choice would be Rob Key. He'd be a breath of fresh air in the dressing room and get rid of the 'mates culture' that is going on at the moment. He's got Test experience, successful captaincy experience at Kent and is at a good stage in his career. He's got as much chance of getting the job as I have though, which is a shame.

Of the other contenders Flintoff shouldn't get it (losing 5 nil in the Ashes means he should never captain a team again), Strauss doesn't deserve his place in the team anymore (as Boycott said the other day, he's "shotless" these days), Collingwood should be dropped on form and Cook isn't ready just yet (he'll be a good skipper in time but getting the job too early could ruin his career).

An interesting choice would be Ian Bell. He lacks experience which is why I wouldn't give the captaincy to him but he plays in both teams and having extra responsibility could do him the world of good. I'd rather Bell get it than Flintoff, Strauss or Collingwood but my choice would be Key.

Key? Haha. Sorry but that's just funny. Surely you have to pick a player that is proven at test level?

Aggers is backing KP

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Aggers tips Pietersen for captaincy

Graeme Smith wasn't in the South Africa team before he got the captaincy and look how that turned out. Ideally we would have a ready made replacement for Vaughan (as Vaughan himself was for Hussain) but there isn't. Key is the best candidate (in my opinion) from outside the current camp.

I wouldn't have a problem with a bowler being captain but there are none who could do the job in the current England set up.

I agree that the captaincy could do wonders for Pietersen. If he refuses to think like a team player, put him in a position where he has to think like a team player. His ego is big enough to take the inevitable knocks without them affecting his confidence. Flintoff is permanently injured, Colly wants to focus on his form (and I suspect the knives are out after that fielding incident), Cook is too young and Strauss looks to me like another who's form would be affected by the burden of captaincy.

I would think there's more to it than that...

The captain's primary role on field is marshalling the field. A bowler is too preoccupied with hs own bowling to be able to focus on the bigger picture of field placements and bowling tactics. I guess that's the reason anyway.

Graeme Smith wasn't in the South Africa team before he got the captaincy and look how that turned out. Ideally we would have a ready made replacement for Vaughan (as Vaughan himself was for Hussain) but there isn't. Key is the best candidate (in my opinion) from outside the current camp.

I wouldn't have a problem with a bowler being captain but there are none who could do the job in the current England set up.

Smith was in the South African team before he was captain, not for long, but he was. Anyway, his appointment was exceptional.