You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher to play less next season?

Rashid

With Agger back things will be tough for Carragher at CB, and I'd hate to see him at full back as it will restrict us in attack with a 4-3-3.

Liverpool Boss Benitez On Missing Agger, Hails Skrtel

Angel Fernandes on Thu, 2008-07-03 14:11. Liverpool

Liverpool missed Daniel Agger during his injury problem, according to boss Rafa Benitez, who feels had the defender been fit the Reds would have had a chance of mounting the Premier League title challenge.

The Danish aided the side to have a brilliant start to last season’s campaign which saw them concede just two goals in their first seven matches. However, his season was marred with a broken foot which resulted in an early end to his season.

In the Liverpool Daily Post, Benitez is quoted as saying: “I think it cost us early in the season. We conceded goals at the end of games which finished as draws because Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher were playing too many games in a row.

“We were using Jack Hobbs in some games and Alvaro Arbeloa as a centre-back and clearly we missed Daniel Agger.

“He is a centre-back but good on the ball and a threat for the other team too.

“We missed Agger.”

The Spanish tactician reinforced the defence in January transfer window bringing in Martin Skrtel from Zenit St Petersburg.

Benitez added: “We knew this player (Skrtel) when he was 18. It was funny because some people were going to see Everton against Zenit and were saying this player really has ability.

"But we already had four or five videos of him which we liked. We had already sent our people over there and we knew he was the player for us.

“It can be difficult to settle down in this country but Martin has been really good.

“We know the players we want whenever the window opens and we try to sign the players we want at the right price.”

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carragher like any player in the team should not be certain of a place in the squad and every one of them should need to fight for their place.

For me though after typing that would still have Carragher as my number one choice fro the centre half position with Agger and Skrtel fighting it out for to play along side him.

Skirtel and Carra will start, and Agger will have to find a way back in, I would think.

XabiD proves he knows nothing again, and Rashid can start a thread which will eventually become a "Carra is rubbish because he can't dribble past the anfield road stand before scoring an overhead kick from the half way line like wot Quaresma would"

Carra is central to our team and way of defending. He is a leader and a winner.

If Rafa starts Agger and Skrtel at CB and Carragher plays Right Back it would be totally wrong as it would just be a case of "accomodating" him. Carragher certainly isn't the best right back at the club.

My choice would be to start with Carragher and Agger and have Skrtel fight for his place. IMO Agger is our best defender.

I can actually see merit in the idea that Carra could get less games next season, Skrtel is faster than him, Agger is quicker than him and better with the ball. Skrtel could go on to become an absolutely top class player. Playing Agger and Skrtel together would allow us to play with a far higher defensive line, increasing the compaction of the side, it could make us defend better as a unit but, equally as importantly, it could allow us to attack better because we will be pressing the opposition in their own half. I'm certainly not writing Carragher off, the lad has been class for us over the last 3-4 years but he's got stiff competition now and I can see merit in the idea that he could play less, especially at centre half. Although, most probably he will retain his place because of his experience.

Agger should be the first name down for a lot of the games. Especially the ones where the onus is on us to attack.

My Uncle was saying the same this morning to me, he thinks Carra might be left out in games against teams where the opposition isn't likely to be posing much of an attacking threat, because Skrtel and Agger are quicker than Carra and we can play with a higher line and have less risk of being done on the counter.

Rash, I disagree with your assessment: Carra is easily our best defender. However, Agger is our best footballer at the back and together they are our best combination, in my opinion (despite Skrtel showing real talent last season).

That said, I do expect Carra to play fewer games - but only in so far as every player will ultimately play fewer games under Rafa as he gets more of the quality options he believes in into his squad.

Rash, I disagree with your assessment: Carra is easily our best defender. However, Agger is our best footballer at the back and together they are our best combination, in my opinion (despite Skrtel showing real talent last season).

That said, I do expect Carra to play fewer games - but only in so far as every player will ultimately play fewer games under Rafa as he gets more of the quality options he believes in into his squad.

carra is our best defender but I think agger is a better footballer (if that makes sense) and I think his potential is far greater but definately my number pairing is agger and carra.

Skirtel and Carra will start, and Agger will have to find a way back in, I would think.

XabiD proves he knows nothing again, and Rashid can start a thread which will eventually become a "Carra is rubbish because he can't dribble past the anfield road stand before scoring an overhead kick from the half way line like wot Quaresma would"

Carra is central to our team and way of defending. He is a leader and a winner.

to be fair to xabiD I thought carra suffered from a lose of form at the start of the season.

I can actually see merit in the idea that Carra could get less games next season, Skrtel is faster than him, Agger is quicker than him and better with the ball. Skrtel could go on to become an absolutely top class player. Playing Agger and Skrtel together would allow us to play with a far higher defensive line, increasing the compaction of the side, it could make us defend better as a unit but, equally as importantly, it could allow us to attack better because we will be pressing the opposition in their own half. I'm certainly not writing Carragher off, the lad has been class for us over the last 3-4 years but he's got stiff competition now and I can see merit in the idea that he could play less, especially at centre half. Although, most probably he will retain his place because of his experience.

My Uncle was saying the same this morning to me, he thinks Carra might be left out in games against teams where the opposition isn't likely to be posing much of an attacking threat, because Skrtel and Agger are quicker than Carra and we can play with a higher line and have less risk of being done on the counter.

There's a lot of truth in all of that, Dave. However, in my opinion Carra's leadership, organisation and communication skills (not to mention his experience and - most relevant of all - character) make him the most important defender (and arguably player) at the club. Those qualities will be absolutely crucial if we are going to finally challenge next season.

carra is our best defender but I think agger is a better footballer (if that makes sense) and I think his potential is far greater but definately my number pairing is agger and carra.

Ha, ha. Top marks for saying exactly what I said, but making it sound like you're disagreeing, Neil.