You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've been listening to the new album for about 2 weeks now and think it's ace. There are a few top class tunes on there, Love is Noise, Rather Be, Judas, Noise Epic, Valium Skies and Appalachian Springs are all fantastic.

Hopefully they will tour again soon before the whole thing imploads. I saw then in Manchester last year and they were brilliant, one of the best bands I've ever seen.

• 8 years later...

Urban Hymns is bang average in comparison to A Northern Soul and A Storm in Heaven. 

'bang average' - get a grip TL mate. Some people chat some utter shite on here about music and most of the time I reckon its because they think they look like they have a superior music intellect. A Northern Soul is brilliant, but it's not that albums 20th anniversary. We are talking about Urban Hymns and I don't think there is a single album out there in that genre that could make it look 'bang average'. 

• Upvote 3

I was studying in the USA when Bitter Sweet Symphony was a hit. Because of that video, they really do believe over there that Richard Ashcroft is The Verve. I didn't have the heart to correct anyone.

Heard someone say or read that someone said years back after seeing the video to that was that it looked like he was about to get filled in at the end. You know the bit where the rest of the band just start walking behind him. 

Spot the hipster

A northern Soul and A storm in heaven will go down as decent yet little known indie albums. Urban Hymns was a maaterpiece that got many a kid into picking up an instrument.

20 years on it's still as fresh.

In fairness while I agree that UH is a brilliant album, History from A Northern Soul is probably the best song they ever recorded imo

In fairness while I agree that UH is a brilliant album, History from A Northern Soul is probably the best song they ever recorded imo

Id have On Your Own up to there too. Im not so sure Id have heard of either if it wasn't for UH.

Definitely don't mean to put down those early albums, Im a fan of them and Ashcrofts solo stuff.

Id have On Your Own up to there too. Im not so sure Id have heard of either if it wasn't for UH.

Definitely don't mean to put down those early albums, Im a fan of them and Ashcrofts solo stuff.

Aye me to.

'bang average' - get a grip TL mate. Some people chat some utter shite on here about music and most of the time I reckon its because they think they look like they have a superior music intellect. A Northern Soul is brilliant, but it's not that albums 20th anniversary. We are talking about Urban Hymns and I don't think there is a single album out there in that genre that could make it look 'bang average'. 

Mate, the thread is about The Verve. You might be talking about Urban Hyms 20th anniversary, i'm not. 

I honestly don't think Urban Hymns is as cohesive or well produced as the former albums.  It's also not worn as well. Maybe it's a case of over familiarity, but i don't think the songs are as good either. They went for the commercial big one with UH and they succeeded massively, commercial success doesn't mean that it's better than the first two though.

Also, i'm not trying to show i have a superior musical intellect to anyone, it's all subjective. Jesus, do you think anyone who would freely admit to liking Wham! would be trying to pretend they're suave on a forum? 

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...