You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You have to love this little fella. I'd take him back today if we could.

GARCIA: TORRES HAS SCOUSE SPIRIT

Paul Hassall 28 June 2008

Luis Garcia believes Fernando Torres and Liverpool are a match made in heaven and has singled out the Spain international's 'scouse spirit' as the reason behind his phenomenal first season on Merseyside.

The Former Reds forward, who swapped Anfield for Atletico last summer, says he did not have to convince El Nino to join the club ahead of his record-breaking move to L4 and can already see that he has established a special bond with Reds supporters.

"I didn't have to sell anything to him because I didn't need to," Garcia told LFC's Magazine's 'The Torres Story.'

"Liverpool is one of the best cities I have ever been to with some of the most passionate people. Fernando already knew about this spirit and soul beforehand and I think that was one of the main reasons why he signed for Liverpool.

"Fernando understands that if you have something in common with the people you are playing for, it can only be to the benefit of the team.

"I have spoken to him quite a lot since the start of last season. Whenever I call him I always start the talk in English.

"I say things like 'How are you,' then he will respond in English. The first time he did it, it surprised me, because he had only just moved.

"But Fernando is a quick learner, so really, I shouldn't be surprised.

"Fernando has the spirit of a scouser, so one day maybe he'll start talking like you lot!"

Despite knowing all about the differences between La Liga and the Premier League, Garcia insists El Nino's 33-goal haul in his debut campaign with the Reds did not surprise him and feels his lightning pace has helped him to take the English League by storm.

"The game is more about the counter-attack and the ball moves from one end of the pitch to the other very quickly," he explained.

"This is perfectly suited for Fernando because he is quick and can speed things up at the attacking end of the field.

"Stevie (Gerrard) and Fernando are working well together because Fernando has the pace to read Stevie's passes. Equally, Stevie knows that if he tries to make a through ball Fernando will have the speed to run on to it and create a chance."

Ah, the good auld revionism of Luis Garcia. One of the most frustrating players I've seen at Liverpool in years. 1 good game, 5 terrible games.

He was a match winner - and would have been brilliant on the right in a 4-3-3 for us. Frustrating yes, matchwinner yes. If some people had their way they would have a team full of effecient yard dogs over the odd unpredictable one.

He was a match winner - and would have been brilliant on the right in a 4-3-3 for us. Frustrating yes, matchwinner yes. If some people had their way they would have a team full of effecient yard dogs over the odd unpredictable one.

Yeah. That's exactly what I said. I want a team of yard dogs because I didn't rate one of our skillfll players as much as others did. You really love the extremes don't you!

Garcia was a match winner in about 6 matches out of 60. That is not acceptable. A player like Garcia as one of our main attacking and creating forces would not help us win the title as he dissapears for far to many games. Unlike other skillfull players who do nothing for 85 minutes and then do something majical, Garcia would do nothing for 5 or 6 games before doing something great.

I love him for his Juve goal, Chelsea goal and Bayer goals, but he was and is, not good enough to win us the league.

Luis Garcia used to frustrate me too the way he gave away possession so easily, but he also used to pop up with some crucial goals and that is something that we have missed. We are crying out for someone who can nick a goal away from home when we aren't playing very well or to score a goal when we are o top and need to kill teams off.

Without Pongolle we would not have won number 5.

Without Mellor we would not have won number 5.

Without Traore we would not have won number 5.

Would any of the three get into the team at the moment. No i didnt think so either.

Luis Garcia falls into the trap of when they leave the club they are instantly remembered for the good things they did for Liverpool and suddenly become world class when the reality was Garcia whilst capable of the sublime would also go missing and was frustrating as fuck when he used to give away possesion when he couldnt pass the ball 5 yards.

Garcia wouldnt necessarily have been brilliant for us on the right side as his best position was just behind the striker.

As regards a team of yard dogs then looking at the first team then i would say players such as Carragher and Mascherano are no nonense players but we have a defender in Agger who loves to pass the ball around, we have more or less signed an attacking left back and already bought an attacking right back.

Babel, Lucas, Gerrard, Yossi, Torres are nowhere near yard dogs and i would imagine Kuyt would no doubt fall into the catergory of yard dog because he runs around a lot but ive just watched him play in a very attacking Holland team and he was passing it around very well but he runs around a lot so hes a yard dog.

I hate this obsession some people have at attacking Rafa because they say he is too defensive or he does not sign players with flair and creativity but as long as they work hard thats alright.

What a load of fucking shite.

Every team and i mean every team needs there players to work hard. Its great doing flicks and step overs but then when you lose the ball you just watch the opposition go up the field and score whilst you stand there waving your hands.

The two finalist in Euro 2008 are showing you what you need to be a success in football today and that is although you need flair and creativity in there you also need a lot of hard work and steel in the team as well.

Is it a surprise that Spain have done well this tournament because they have added the defensive duties of Senna and the fact that players like David Villa are tracking back and defending deep in his own half.

Is it a surprise that Germany have done well because they are playing with Ballack giving them the drive in a midfield role very much like what Gerrard plays for us knowing he has the insurance of the midfield behind him.

Is it a surpise that Arsenal were so successful when Vieria was in midfield giving them the battle in their team and they struggled after that bite was removed but guess what they looked far better last season when Flamini upped his game and gave them the strength back into the midfield.

You have to balance strength, agression and hard work with flair and creativity in your team in modern football which is easier said then done but if you cant see that Rafa is trying to do that then seriously what the fuck are you doing supporting Liverpool Football Club.

Would any of the three get into the team at the moment. No i didnt think so either.

Luis Garcia falls into the trap of when they leave the club they are instantly remembered for the good things they did for Liverpool and suddenly become world class when the reality was Garcia whilst capable of the sublime would also go missing and was frustrating as fuck when he used to give away possesion when he couldnt pass the ball 5 yards.

Garcia wouldnt necessarily have been brilliant for us on the right side as his best position was just behind the striker.

As regards a team of yard dogs then looking at the first team then i would say players such as Carragher and Mascherano are no nonense players but we have a defender in Agger who loves to pass the ball around, we have more or less signed an attacking left back and already bought an attacking right back.

Babel, Lucas, Gerrard, Yossi, Torres are nowhere near yard dogs and i would imagine Kuyt would no doubt fall into the catergory of yard dog because he runs around a lot but ive just watched him play in a very attacking Holland team and he was passing it around very well but he runs around a lot so hes a yard dog.

I hate this obsession some people have at attacking Rafa because they say he is too defensive or he does not sign players with flair and creativity but as long as they work hard thats alright.

Every team and i mean every team needs there players to work hard. Its great doing flicks and step overs but then when you lose the ball you just watch the opposition go up the field and score whilst you stand there waving your hands.

The two finalist in Euro 2008 are showing you what you need to be a success in football today and that is although you need flair and creativity in there you also need a lot of hard work and steel in the team as well.

Is it a surprise that Spain have done well this tournament because they have added the defensive duties of Senna and the fact that players like David Villa are tracking back and defending deep in his own half.

Is it a surprise that Germany have done well because they are playing with Ballack giving them the drive in a midfield role very much like what Gerrard plays for us knowing he has the insurance of the midfield behind him.

Is it a surpise that Arsenal were so successful when Vieria was in midfield giving them the battle in their team and they struggled after that bite was removed but guess what they looked far better last season when Flamini upped his game and gave them the strength back into the midfield.

You have to balance strength, agression and hard work with flair and creativity in your team in modern football which is easier said then done but if you cant see that Rafa is trying to do that then seriously what the fuck are you doing supporting Liverpool Football Club.

Spot on.

I loved lil Luis, as most of us did. He was a very frustrating player though. I bet if you went back over old match threads you would hear a lot of bad things said about him. I used to get bad nerves every time he touched the ball in his own half, as he was very lilely to loose it. But up front he was very dangerous. Problem is he was played at LM or RM and i dont think he was suited there. he had to be up front or just behind the striker.

I only pop in now and don't read every thread on here but I've had the misfortune lately of reading quite a few of your posts. To be blunt, you haven't really got a fucking clue about the game on ground level. Have you ever played, coached or managed at any type of level? I seriously doubt it as you seem to lack the basic understanding of the game yet preach like you know better than everyone, including Rafa.

Guest Lynchyred

Tomkins demonstrated how important Luis was for us statistically. And if you can't rely on statistic, then where are you?

Rafa shouldn't have let him go. I can't believe we have let our club be overun by such a poor manager when there are much better managers within this forum.

Tomkins demonstrated how important Luis was for us statistically. And if you can't rely on statistic, then where are you?

Rafa shouldn't have let him go. I can't believe we have let our club be overun by such a poor manager when there are much better managers within this forum.

Do you think Garcia wanting to return to Spain might have had something to do with it. :idea:

No need for that patronising tone is there, everyone can recognise that working hard defensively is vital for any team to sucessed, the problem some inlcuding myslelf on here is the propotion of workers/grafter to creative, technical players is too high, we even incomperate them into positions they dont belong in the case of Kuyt. Theres creative players are just as important as the grafters so there should be nothing wrong with expecting the club to purchase/target these kind of players.

Rashid, just give it a fucking rest will you. I've hardly read the ff this week, but whenever I have you've been acting the twat repeating yourself on every thread and pissing people off. Stop it, or I'm gonna start issuing temporary bans as you really need to think about what you are posting.

No need for that patronising tone is there, everyone can recognise that working hard defensively is vital for any team to sucessed, the problem some inlcuding myslelf on here is the propotion of workers/grafter to creative, technical players is too high, we even incomperate them into positions they dont belong in the case of Kuyt. Theres creative players are just as important as the grafters so there should be nothing wrong with expecting the club to purchase/target these kind of players.

Creative players tend to cost more & we aren't exactly flush with cash. The fact that Moores loaned the club £10m to purchase Kuyt pre-Hicks & Gillette shows how skint we were even then.

Last i looked we were.