You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

windass

Have to agree with Windass on this one in relation to this Mandela concert. They're always the same these events, some celeb comes out and starts talking about AIDS (crowd goes boo), then they wheel out the obligatory brightly coloured gospel choir (crowd goes woo) and cut to some C-list celebs and the odd MP trying to dance awkwardly in the crowd.

I'll be amazed if Bono isn't involved at some stage and will probably come out and try and hold up Mandela's hand in a show of strength and unity.

I bet Liverpool's number one fan would much rather be at home with a couple of cuban cigars.

The plight of Africa has unfortunately been taken over by the do-gooder parade. It's a shame, and a real turn off, because it's such an interesting, and at the same time, needy continent. Live 8 was one of the worst things ever.

Aye

I really don't need Philip Schofield's African insights to be quite frank. And I don't want to join hands and shout 'we can make a change' because, quite frankly - we can't.

If we could the UK wouldn't have invaded Iraq, let alone not solved Africa's prblems.

They really should just shut the fuck up and play some music.

The plight of Africa has unfortunately been taken over by the do-gooder parade. It's a shame, and a real turn off, because it's such an interesting, and at the same time, needy continent. Live 8 was one of the worst things ever.

Serious question.

Are you saying the plight of Africa has been made worse by the TV attention? Made worse by Live 8? Would they have been better off without the money and public attention both these things brought?

I'm not looking for the usual anti-celeb stuff here about how Bono is a cunt and Geldof is useless, etc, I'm looking for genuine answers as to why the kind of publicity, funding of aid and aid workers for these areas and general cash assisatnce that these events can give to a country on its knees can be seen as a bad thing?

I believe "they" recorded the Mandela thing, so I've still got to endure it, but on the whole it's easy to ignore these things. It's as bad X Factor or the Royal Variety show, no worse. If you live with others you've either got to go out, find another room, ignore it or put up with it.

Whenever you get these types of concert, I'm sure some of the celebs mysteriously have a new album or book to promote, or are expecting favours in return. For others it's a bit of ego polishing. And some are doing it for wholehearted honest reasons. Doesn't matter really, if it is doing some good ultimately.

And it must be doing some good, even if it reminds people of the issues, or persuades them to investigate the issues more. It might click something in the head of someone who actually goes on to make a big difference five or ten years from now, a future leader for example.

It would probably be more helpful if the organisers said news companies could show highlights on condition they showed an equal amount of coverage of the issues. A 60-second clip of the concert might not get the message out to anyone who didn't watch it. 30 seconds of the concert and 30 seconds of what was discussed just might.

did you see queen.? that lead singer DOESNT fit in!

Serious question.

Are you saying the plight of Africa has been made worse by the TV attention? Made worse by Live 8? Would they have been better off without the money and public attention both these things brought?

I'm not looking for the usual anti-celeb stuff here about how Bono is a cunt and Geldof is useless, etc, I'm looking for genuine answers as to why the kind of publicity, funding of aid and aid workers for these areas and general cash assisatnce that these events can give to a country on its knees can be seen as a bad thing?

As with live aid the good the giving does is equaled out by the benefit some of the celebs get for doing it. No such thing as a free lunch. The e.u. pours billions into African counties and has done for decades, is Africa any the better for it?

The only way to fix Africa is to let them do it for them selves, except you end up with the Mugabe's of this world.

Serious question.

As I said, I think it has proved to be a major turn off. The media saturation on this issue (along with Iraq and Global Warming) just means that naturally, we will want to forget about it.

• 11 years later...
3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It was more the early comments on it. 

God bless Africa. I'd never want to live there.  

In any part of an entire continent? 

I could happily live in the limited parts of it I’ve been to.

Just now, Mook said:

Was there a media saturation about Africa in 2008?

Really weird thread this.

I'd also just like to add that Bono can get fucked.

Seems some people didn't want those who needed help to get any because they're african? Proper thread for arkansas this. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Seems some people didn't want those who needed help to get any because they're african? Proper thread for arkansas this. 

If you don't want to watch Live Aid or whatever, just turn the telly off.

It's hardly Africa's fault.

• Upvote 1