Section_31

The Space Thread

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Dick swinging contest. 

Just seen a picture of the Blue Origin. It literally is a dick.

43 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Pretty amazing really. At least they can confirm to the flerfers they're talking utter bullshit and the world is not flat!

Take it away Carl, with the help of the sun and some sticks.. and some really old Greek people..

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Pretty amazing really. At least they can confirm to the flerfers they're talking utter bullshit and the world is not flat!

"I thought the round Earth theory was just a big conspiracy, but these three billionaires have convinced me otherwise. "

• Upvote 1

On 21/07/2021 at 12:19, dockers_strike said:

This always has me in awe. Turn your volume down if listening with earphones!

Even today - 52 years on  - the sheer scale and vision of this achievement is astounding. Getting a 3500 tonne thermos flask into space is one thing. Getting the little capsule atop with three astronauts in it to the moon and back safely is still the pinnacle of humanity's quest to explore what we know, in my mind.  Truly, awesome.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, cochyn said:

Even today - 52 years on  - the sheer scale and vision of this achievement is astounding. Getting a 3500 tonne thermos flask into space is one thing. Getting the little capsule atop with three astronauts in it to the moon and back safely is still the pinnacle of humanity's quest to explore what we know, in my mind.  Truly, awesome.

I cant remember whether it was Jim Lovell or Buzz Aldrin who says he was asked 'What does it feel like to sit atop this rocket moments before lift off knowing that it was built to the lowest priced tender?'

Really puts it into perspective when you think about that!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I cant remember whether it was Jim Lovell or Buzz Aldrin who says he was asked 'What does it feel like to sit atop this rocket moments before lift off knowing that it was built to the lowest priced tender?'

Really puts it into perspective when you think about that!

Alan Shepard said it according to Gene Kranz, but it does sound like something Buzz Aldrin might say.

Massive courage those men.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

That puts me in mind of the pale blue dot photo sent back to earth from Voyager 1.

Taken from a distance of about 4 billion miles, it just makes you think about how miniscule our planet is in the vastness of space, and just how far Voyager 1 has travelled since this photo was taken over 30 years ago.

image.png

• Upvote 1