Quantcast
The Space Thread - Page 53 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Section_31

The Space Thread

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They've found a mass of water.

Ice? Assuming there's nothing sub-surface. Even then I don't think it could be liquid. 

1 minute ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Ice? Assuming there's nothing sub-surface. Even then I don't think it could be liquid. 

Yeah with no gravity space would be drenched 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah with no gravity space would be drenched 

Hahah. Just as I thought my brain couldn't get any more broken you just went and broke it.

• Upvote 1

I always feel underwhelmed with nasa announcements because you know they won't do anything interesting about it anyway. 

"Water has been discovered on Mars meaning we could build a base there."

"Are you going to?"

"No."

When you think of the pictures beamed back from the Voyager probes, the deployment of Hubble, the moon landings, it's been a barren couple of decades. 

Say what you want about the USSR, but competition does stir progress.

20 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I always feel underwhelmed with nasa announcements because you know they won't do anything interesting about it anyway. 

"Water has been discovered on Mars meaning we could build a base there."

"Are you going to?"

"No."

When you think of the pictures beamed back from the Voyager probes, the deployment of Hubble, the moon landings, it's been a barren couple of decades. 

Say what you want about the USSR, but competition does stir progress.

Yep. You'd be forgiven hoping that by now, there'd be a lot more and better co operation with space exploration. Obviously the ISS is a major one but it's still divided into 'theirs' and 'ours' depending on who you view as 'yours'!

I'll very likely be in me box or just a vase of dust by the time 'man' lands on Mars. In 1969, I was convinced we'd be talking about landing on Mars by the year 2000.

Boss 

On October 29, 2020, NASA re-established contact with its Voyager 2 spacecraft, launched from Earth in 1977. The craft is now traveling more than 11.6 billion miles (18.8 billion km) from Earth. It is beyond the heliopause, or boundary region, where the sun’s influence ends and the interstellar medium begins. The 43-year-old space probe was left flying solo for 7 months while repairs were made to the radio antenna that commands it. The only radio antenna that can command the space probe – the Deep Space Station 43 (DSS43) antenna in Canberra, Australia – has been offline since March.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Boss 

On October 29, 2020, NASA re-established contact with its Voyager 2 spacecraft, launched from Earth in 1977. The craft is now traveling more than 11.6 billion miles (18.8 billion km) from Earth. It is beyond the heliopause, or boundary region, where the sun’s influence ends and the interstellar medium begins. The 43-year-old space probe was left flying solo for 7 months while repairs were made to the radio antenna that commands it. The only radio antenna that can command the space probe – the Deep Space Station 43 (DSS43) antenna in Canberra, Australia – has been offline since March.

Incredible more like.

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Boss 

Wow 

There a good article here. Estimates of 200 billion dollars and a 20 year lead time maybe more and this would require nearly all the current NASA programs to be suspended. It’s not likely to happen in my lifetime that’s for sure.  
https://qz.com/1273644/heres-how-nasa-and-spacex-chart-the-price-of-a-trip-to-mars/

On 07/11/2020 at 14:38, Section_31 said:

Boss 

Meh. Let me know when it reaches the nearest star. Then I'll be impressed.

2 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Meh. Let me know when it reaches the nearest star. Then I'll be impressed.

It’s already gone a lot further than the nearest star. 

• Upvote 1