You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

On 19/09/2020 at 19:31, johnsusername said:

There have been a few Challenger documentaries over the years, but every time the live footage of Christa McAuliffe's mum and dad watching the disaster gets me. Terrible stuff. 

Yes that was really sad, I don't think they know what's happened at first as they're watching, awful. 

The fuck? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/black-holes-universe-big-bang-roger-penrose-nobel-prize-b881031.html

There was an earlier universe before the Big Bang, and evidence for its existence can still be observed in black holes, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist has said.

51 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The fuck? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/black-holes-universe-big-bang-roger-penrose-nobel-prize-b881031.html

There was an earlier universe before the Big Bang, and evidence for its existence can still be observed in black holes, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist has said.

I wonder what number universe we are? 2? 200? 2,000,000,000,000? Is it just one universe at a time or are there multiple universes at once? 

My brain hurts thinking about the vastness of existence. 

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I wonder what number universe we are? 2? 200? 2,000,000,000,000? Is it just one universe at a time or are there multiple universes at once? 

My brain hurts thinking about the vastness of existence. 

If Einstein's theory is correct, when the universe contracts in on itself time will too, then it'll explode and everything starts from scratch. Essentially I'll be typing this backwards, the a few billion years later type the exact same shit again. Absolute scenes.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If Einstein's theory is correct, when the universe contracts in on itself time will too, then it'll explode and everything starts from scratch. Essentially I'll be typing this backwards, the a few billion years later type the exact same shit again. Absolute scenes.

Good. I can't wait to read that Brechin thread again. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Hmmmm, not aware a contracting Universe has any traction. We're headed for the 'big rip' in an every expanding Universe.

Of course this latest hypothesis needs a lot of investigation but the leading theory at the moment is universe 'membranes' crashed together causing the Big Bang that started ours.

By the way, Fred Hoyle coined the phrase 'big bang' as a derogatory term, believing the Universe was in steady state, always existing never changing its size.

'Brane theory has been around a while and it's fascinating. Quantum level membranes interacting to create events in space-time thus forming universes. Almost like tea-towels hanging on a clothes horse being blown into each other in the breeze and boom: an universe is born. But infinitely and in dimensions that only exist as a result of the interaction. Mental. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The fuck? 

The freakiest part of that is how many ads and auto-playing videos the Independent can cram into one page.

• Upvote 1

On 08/10/2020 at 19:07, Section_31 said:

The fuck? 

Yakubu refusing to confirm or deny whether he was in this universe.

• 2 weeks later...

42 year old NASA data confirms the finding of Phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus very recently was not a system malfunction or misread of data recently.

If life does exist on Venus, NASA may have detected it some 42 years ago. In recent weeks interest in life on Venus has renewed after scientists discovered traces of phosphine - a toxic gas long proposed as a possible sign of microbial life - in the upper part of the planet's thick atmosphere, published in the Nature Astronomy journal. It was a landmark moment in the hunt for life elsewhere, a project that has been largely focused on Mars and a select few moons orbiting Jupiter and Saturn.

Hot and poisonous, chances of Venus being a place where alien life could exist had been concluded: zero.

However, with the hook of the new find, biochemist Dr Rakesh Mogul decided to sift through the NASA archives.

It was here that he claimed to have found evidence that suggests researchers in 1978 also detected traces of phosphine on Venus.

He told LiveScience: “When the Nature Astronomy paper came out, I immediately thought of the legacy mass spectra.”

Dr Mogul said he and his team of researchers were broadly familiar with the data from the missions.

He added: "So, for us, it was a natural next step to give the data another look.

As such, after consulting with my co-authors, we identified the original scientific articles, and promptly started looking for phosphorous compounds."

The discovery, published to the arXiv database last month, has not yet been peer-reviewed.

It doesn't tell researchers much beyond what was reported in Nature Astronomy.

The researchers, however, said the data makes the presence of phosphine even more certain. The 1978 figures comes from the Large Probe Neutral Mass Spectrometer (LNMS), one of several instruments that descended into Venus' atmosphere as part of the Pioneer 13 mission.

Suspended from a parachute, Pioneer 13 dropped a large probe into Venus' clouds.

Data was then collected and beamed back to Earth as the probe plummeted to its death. Samples were placed through mass spectrometry - a standard laboratory technique used to identify unknown chemicals.

At the time, researchers focused on other chemicals found in the sample, glossing over phosphorus-based compounds like phosphine. When Dr Mogul's team reexamined the LNMS data they found signals that resemble phosphine and other phosphorus-based compounds.

However, LNMS wasn't built to sniff out phosphine-like compounds.

It would therefore have had a hard time separating the gas from other molecules that have similar masses.

Dr Mogul said: "I believe that evidence for trace chemicals that could be signatures of life in the legacy data were sort of discounted because it was thought that they could not exist in the atmosphere.

I think many people are now revisiting the notion of Venus as a fully oxidising environment." Dr Mogul and his colleagues also found hints of other chemicals that shouldn't arise naturally in Venus' clouds — substances like chlorine, oxygen and hydrogen peroxide.

He wrote: ”We believe this to be an indication of chemistries not yet discovered and/or chemistries potentially favourable for life.”

Science is so interesting right now. It’s such a shame that it’s not higher in the priority of nations who push so much into military, etc. It should be in the news and media more often. There’s a lot of people who don’t know about quantum physics, and it’s a shame because it’s so interesting what’s been going on in the last decade. 

According to the latest dispatch from NASA, the space agency has an "exciting new discovery about the Moon" coming on Monday 26 October.

Curiously, the new results are courtesy of the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA). It's the world's largest airborne observatory, and is actually a Boeing 747SP plane with a hole cut out in it, modified to carry a large reflecting telescope. 

Unlike Earth-bound telescopes, SOFIA soars some 11 kilometres (38,000 ft) above the ground, high in our planet's stratosphere. Here, the observatory can rise above the 99 percent of the atmosphere that blocks infrared wavelengths, allowing it to study the infrared Universe.

It's certainly a busy plane. SOFIA's instruments have previously delivered a landmark detection of oxygen in the Martian atmosphere, the first detection of a molecular bond in space, and countless infrared measurements that have illuminated exoplanet collisions, the hearts of galaxies, and much more - including this stunning infrared view of the centre of our own Milky Way, below.

This time, the observatory has turned its sights much closer to home. The "new discovery contributes to NASA's efforts to learn about the Moon in support of deep space exploration", the agency states.

Participants of the media briefing include Naseem Rangwala from NASA's Ames Research Center who is a project scientist for the SOFIA mission, and Jacob Bleacher, chief exploration scientist for the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate at NASA.

We'll find out more about the discovery on Monday, but NASA makes it clear it will have some bearing on the Artemis program - the ambitious plan to send humans back to the lunar surface in 2024 as a waypoint to start exploration of Mars in the 2030s.

The audio briefing will be streamed live on the agency's website at 12:00 pm EDT on Monday 26 October.

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-will-announce-an-exciting-new-discovery-about-the-moon-on-monday

tumblr_nfz7xn3T7Y1s836y2o1_400.gif&f=1&n

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, magicrat said:

They have probably discovered Trumps brain. 

Be nice to keep that shit out of at least one thread on this forum.

Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy is a plane that can examine molecules in an atmosphere as light passes through it. This means they discovered something in the moon's atmosphere we didn't know was there. Could be water but I'm betting its helium hydride but we shall see. 

https://www.engadget.com/2019-04-17-nasa-sofia-detects-helium-hydride.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEdnU-1H2G6O7WFyiiDBgYH7GkrgsA6fntdgcWB1E7BGt8Fq6heiwAzWg6dRERmttUZ1sliemXOawsWLNmvA1Y7rI73UTCTrppkto7i_TWtsZOlYJt-dwQgAooesJx_ACpt0U3rSA4biye42rKO3LgSRoPoc2ujFx4TRmT8FR-2Y

8 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Tardigrades fascinate me. They're fucking ace. More resilient than dried-on weetabix.

Imagine if theres a suicidal one

"I've jumped into a volcano, didn't work.

I've tried jumping into acid, didn't work.

I've been shot, stabbed, drowned, fell off a cliff, been shot into orbit, starved myself for 30 years and here I still I am, I'm at the end of my fucking tether."

10 hours ago, Elite said:

Imagine if theres a suicidal one

"I've jumped into a volcano, didn't work.

I've tried jumping into acid, didn't work.

I've been shot, stabbed, drowned, fell off a cliff, been shot into orbit, starved myself for 30 years and here I still I am, I'm at the end of my fucking tether."

The price of immortality.