You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fuck me I was only saying the other day that they will start saying there are aliens to divert attention away from the fuck ups this and Trumps governments made 

Can you give me tomorrow's winning Euromillions numbers? I dont mind sharing!

It's been theorised for a while now. Apparently at about 40,000 odd feet above Venus, the air pressure and temperature is virtually the same as sea level on Earth so, condusive to potential life.

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Can you give me tomorrow's winning Euromillions numbers? I dont mind sharing!

It's been theorised for a while now. Apparently at about 40,000 odd feet above Venus, the air pressure and temperature is virtually the same as sea level on Earth so, condusive to potential life.

4, 14, 32, 39, 41, - 2 and 9

Yeah there is blatantly life out there but I dont think we should be disturbing it. We've got enough going on, last thing we need is a scrap with aliens 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

4, 14, 32, 39, 41, - 2 and 9

Yeah there is blatantly life out there but I dont think we should be disturbing it. We've got enough going on, last thing we need is a scrap with aliens 

The Venusians sound like right tossers, though. They can't even live on their own plant's surface.

• Upvote 1

Anyone seen Away on Netflix? Sci Fi drama about mankind's first trip to Mars. It's ok. Gets a bit daytime soap in the middle episodes but the last two or three are really good. 

But - and I know it's fiction - it just makes me think we'll never go to another planet. The odds are totally stacked against us. There are so many things that can go wrong. It's a minor miracle we can get off our planet on massive rockets without exploding, never mind flying through space in a tin can millions of miles hoping we don't run out of water or nothing breaks down, and then trying to land. AND THEN trying to survive when we get there.

Anyway, it's worth a watch (at a push). Not as good as Mars which was on National Geographic. 

42 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Anyone seen Away on Netflix? Sci Fi drama about mankind's first trip to Mars. It's ok. Gets a bit daytime soap in the middle episodes but the last two or three are really good. 

But - and I know it's fiction - it just makes me think we'll never go to another planet. The odds are totally stacked against us. There are so many things that can go wrong. It's a minor miracle we can get off our planet on massive rockets without exploding, never mind flying through space in a tin can millions of miles hoping we don't run out of water or nothing breaks down, and then trying to land. AND THEN trying to survive when we get there.

Anyway, it's worth a watch (at a push). Not as good as Mars which was on National Geographic. 

Watched the first episode but couldn't get into it. My bird finished it on Saturday said she loved it. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Watched the first episode but couldn't get into it. My bird finished it on Saturday said she loved it. 

You could easily skip the first 5 episodes and just watch 6-10. That's when it becomes more science than shitty drama. To be fair if you like space stuff the last two episodes were really good and pretty tense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Hmmm, Ive a lot more optimism about that. We went to the Moon several times (please dont go no, we didnt!) and have successfull sent probes to Mars, Venus, Saturn and beyond. Manned missions are far more difficult but not beyond the wit of man.

The way I look at it is, people crossed the oceans when they didnt know what was there. They'd been brought up on the idea you'd fall off the end of the world if you went too far. But they still went to the unknown.

There's lots of obstacles to overcome sending a manned mission to Mars or elsewhere. As I see it, the biggest obstacles are cost and committment not the technological.

If the space super powers put their heads together, co operated more and shared the cost etc, we could have a permanent base on Mars never mind the Moon in 10 years, tops.

Personally, I think it's sad mega wealthy individuals are funding the next steps in space because they're doing it for one reason, to make more money. But, it appears it's the only way as Governments cannot or dont want to fund such exploration.

"We came in peace for all mankind" should be the mantra, not, we came because of the riches and money to be had.

• Upvote 1

On 15/09/2020 at 17:22, dockers_strike said:

Hmmm, Ive a lot more optimism about that. We went to the Moon several times (please dont go no, we didnt!) and have successfull sent probes to Mars, Venus, Saturn and beyond. Manned missions are far more difficult but not beyond the wit of man.

The way I look at it is, people crossed the oceans when they didnt know what was there. They'd been brought up on the idea you'd fall off the end of the world if you went too far. But they still went to the unknown.

There's lots of obstacles to overcome sending a manned mission to Mars or elsewhere. As I see it, the biggest obstacles are cost and committment not the technological.

If the space super powers put their heads together, co operated more and shared the cost etc, we could have a permanent base on Mars never mind the Moon in 10 years, tops.

Personally, I think it's sad mega wealthy individuals are funding the next steps in space because they're doing it for one reason, to make more money. But, it appears it's the only way as Governments cannot or dont want to fund such exploration.

"We came in peace for all mankind" should be the mantra, not, we came because of the riches and money to be had.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm just not as optimistic about space travel as I used to be! 

5 hours ago, johnsusername said:

There have been a few Challenger documentaries over the years, but every time the live footage of Christa McAuliffe's mum and dad watching the disaster gets me. Terrible stuff. 

Nothing short of shocking any news director was shouting 'get me a close up of the families' and that the camera stayed on them for so long. Brings back haunting memories.

8 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Anyone seen the Challenger mini series documentary on Netflix? Four episodes. Really good. Episode three is an emotional gut punch, even though you know what's going to happen. 

Well made series, but I thought it was a bit strange that Roger Boisjoly (who was one of the leading dissenters against the launch at Morton Thiokol) was never mentioned by name.

12 hours ago, johnsusername said:

There have been a few Challenger documentaries over the years, but every time the live footage of Christa McAuliffe's mum and dad watching the disaster gets me. Terrible stuff. 

I saw something on Twitter the other day, people posting about it.  One person said their teacher was down to the last few to get in the crew and at school a while after said to the teacher ‘I bet you are glad you lost out’ the teacher said ‘She had a family and kids, I don’t.  There’s not a day goes by I don’t regret not being chosen’. Another in a similar situation said the day after her teacher couldn’t walk down the corridor for kids hugging her. 

• 3 weeks later...