You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Floating around. I also noticed that the two astronauts weren't socially distanced so I'm hoping they've got visors and masks up in the floating thing. 

S'alright though innit, Van Allen belt radiation will kill the covids. No 5G up there either. As usual, one rule for astronauts and another for us plebs.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, A Red said:

I get your point but it is still amazing.

One day they will invent a plane to fly from London to New York in 3 hours

Wait until the Russians spoil everybody's fun by launching a dog into the orbit.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cochyn said:

S'alright though innit, Van Allen belt radiation will kill the covids. No 5G up there either. As usual, one rule for astronauts and another for us plebs.

And that Cat is just casually walking around with the fucking world on his necklace 

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

Its a matter of time until the US retaliate with a chimp

They will fire Trump into space. Eventually. 

Then I can shag Melania whatever her name is. She is a fox. I'd go through that like amyl nitrate up a gay guys nose 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Why is this so important? Don't get it. Don't they go to Space all the time now? 

Must admit that was my feeling too.

The booster landing back and touch screens and ace suits were great of course, but I think I am missing something. Or maybe I've been watching too much sci-fi.

I guess from an historical perspective, its the first time private enterprise has been involved. I think.

3 hours ago, M_B said:

Must admit that was my feeling too.

The booster landing back and touch screens and ace suits were great of course, but I think I am missing something. Or maybe I've been watching too much sci-fi.

I guess from an historical perspective, its the first time private enterprise has been involved. I think.

Private enterprise has always been involved. I just think it's the first time they're assuming liability for the whole shebang. Get investing. 

13 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

They will fire Trump into space. Eventually. 

Then I can shag Melania whatever her name is. She is a fox. I'd go through that like amyl nitrate up a gay guys nose 

Think it’s Trump mate. 

• 1 month later...

This is well worth a watch on I player.

Horizon - 2020: Pluto: Back From the Dead

The incredible story of how Pluto has been propelled from an unremarkable ball of ice on the edge of the solar system to a world of unimaginable complexity - where some form of alien life might exist. 

Featuring first-hand accounts of the incredible discoveries made by New Horizons from many of the scientists involved in the mission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000kqm9/horizon-2020-pluto-back-from-the-dead

32 minutes ago, niallers said:

http://issdetector.com

For anyone interested in seeing it, it gives you a load of times where it passes over your location. 

Good stuff- sheeple, this is when you get bombarded with Covid-19 through 5G rays. Either dodge the beams or get the tin foil out- not Bacofoil, they were infiltrated by the Powers That Be years ago and just magnify the signals.

• Upvote 1

Comet visible to the naked eye.

https://www.thecanary.co/discovery/news-discovery/2020/07/14/stargazers-urged-to-take-in-comet-that-will-not-return-for-68-centuries/?fbclid=IwAR3fe7vs44B24Fri5Nd1NHqkq2zj0BxZZ-vbPYB_mMNTFgiNG_3HhjvEGow

2.54575246-1024x576.jpg

Stargazers have been urged to marvel at a newly discovered comet which is visible to the naked eye this month as it will not be coming back for another 6,800 years.

The mountain-sized Neowise comet made its closest approach to the sun on 3 July and is now shining brightly in the night skies.

Dr Robert Massey, from the Royal Astronomical Society, said Neowise was last in the inner Solar System 4,500 years ago and it was not expected to return for another 6,800 years.

He said: “I would encourage everyone to take a look if they can, if they have clear skies, and get away from light pollution if they can.”

Neowise, named after the telescope used to first spot it, should be visible for the next few weeks in the northern skies, near the bright star Capella.

Dr Massey recommended using binoculars to see more detail of the comet’s tail.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Comet visible to the naked eye.

https://www.thecanary.co/discovery/news-discovery/2020/07/14/stargazers-urged-to-take-in-comet-that-will-not-return-for-68-centuries/?fbclid=IwAR3fe7vs44B24Fri5Nd1NHqkq2zj0BxZZ-vbPYB_mMNTFgiNG_3HhjvEGow

2.54575246-1024x576.jpg

Stargazers have been urged to marvel at a newly discovered comet which is visible to the naked eye this month as it will not be coming back for another 6,800 years.

The mountain-sized Neowise comet made its closest approach to the sun on 3 July and is now shining brightly in the night skies.

Dr Robert Massey, from the Royal Astronomical Society, said Neowise was last in the inner Solar System 4,500 years ago and it was not expected to return for another 6,800 years.

He said: “I would encourage everyone to take a look if they can, if they have clear skies, and get away from light pollution if they can.”

Neowise, named after the telescope used to first spot it, should be visible for the next few weeks in the northern skies, near the bright star Capella.

Dr Massey recommended using binoculars to see more detail of the comet’s tail.

Ill catch it next time. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2020 at 20:42, Dougie Do'ins said:

This is well worth a watch on I player.

Horizon - 2020: Pluto: Back From the Dead

The incredible story of how Pluto has been propelled from an unremarkable ball of ice on the edge of the solar system to a world of unimaginable complexity - where some form of alien life might exist. 

Featuring first-hand accounts of the incredible discoveries made by New Horizons from many of the scientists involved in the mission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000kqm9/horizon-2020-pluto-back-from-the-dead

Hang on, Pluto died? This year can just fuck off