You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

On 21/05/2020 at 08:44, johnsusername said:

The ISS looked brilliant last night. Really bright and quite slow across the sky. Quite a few fly pasts this week as well -

https://www.meteorwatch.org/iss-international-space-station-times-uk-may-2020/

Was top drawer viewing conditions tonight. If a bit windy. Makes another pass later at 11.42pm coming from W and moving SE.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Was top drawer viewing conditions tonight. If a bit windy. Makes another pass later at 11.42pm coming from W and moving SE.

Yes it was ace. Did you watch the HTV9 cargo ship not long after? That was good. Looking forward to the next pass in a minute. 

I saw a tweet this morning from one of the scientists involved in the Space X launch.  She said she’d received complaints that the crew of the mission were all male.  Turns out the wives of the crew are also astronauts who’d already been in space.  

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I saw a tweet this morning from one of the scientists involved in the Space X launch.  She said she’d received complaints that the crew of the mission were all male.  Turns out the wives of the crew are also astronauts who’d already been in space.  

Their tinder profiles must state 'I'm looking for a fun loving partner that likes watching movies and MUST have been to space at least once. Please don't add me if your IQ is below 200 and you get sick on Rita at Alton Towers'.

• Upvote 1

I've never seen the ISS.  To be fair, I've never looked for it, but when I see people say they say it, or post a picture of a moving spec in the sky I always think I must head outside for a look.  Is there a schedule type thing where you can get a round idea what time it might be visible in your part of the world?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I've never seen the ISS.  To be fair, I've never looked for it, but when I see people say they say it, or post a picture of a moving spec in the sky I always think I must head outside for a look.  Is there a schedule type thing where you can get a round idea what time it might be visible in your part of the world?

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• Upvote 1

How fucking depressing is it that companies are now doing what States used to. I suppose it's been heading that way for years but it's still heartbreaking to see. Watching First Man recently (boring film) really brought that home, they had test flights and special projects out the arse. Would have been a time when all the best people worked at The Pentagon or NASA, now they're sipping coffee in San Francisco on beanbags wearing noise cancelling headphones.  

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Virtual Astronomer on Twitter is good too. 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Weather not looking good.  

Did you watch that Felix Bumgarner one when he jumped out of the balloon ? Delayed for ages because of weather. Eventually gets up to the stratosphere, jumps back to Earth, lands on his feet and they'd not even broken the record.