You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

The car thing is a bit of a gimmick but what actual scientific results are they looking for? Was he trying to orbit Mars?

Oh, this launch you mean? It was the maiden test flight. The car thing was a bit of a gimmick but they needed to test payload and that was the choice.

It’s the start.

Oh, this launch you mean? It was the maiden test flight. The car thing was a bit of a gimmick but they needed to test payload and that was the choice.

It’s the start.

Never mind Mars, he's infiltrated the GF on the Liverpool Way.

All life forms are here

• Upvote 2

Fascinating stuff. Watched this with my 11 year old lad yesterday. We’ve been following Elon Musk and Space X for a while, and the goal to colonize Mars.

Just want to point out Elon Musk became a US citizen in 2002. He moved here from Africa. Juxtapose that with old Trumpy, who yesterday repeatedly said “Let’s have a government shutdown” over immigration, and he recently talked about not accepting immigrants from “ shi*hole places like Haiti and Africa.”

Would have been fitting if old Trumpy was strapped into the Tesla.

• Upvote 1

Fascinating stuff. Watched this with my 11 year old lad yesterday. We’ve been following Elon Musk and Space X for a while, and the goal to colonize Mars.

Just want to point out Elon Musk became a US citizen in 2002. He moved here from Africa. Juxtapose that with old Trumpy, who yesterday repeatedly said “Let’s have a government shutdown” over immigration, and he recently talked about not accepting immigrants from “ shi*hole places like Haiti and Africa.”

I haven’t bothered to look it up but I think he moved to the from Canada?

My youngest is really into it as well.

He's 9 and has made it his personal goal, for a good 3-4 years now, to be the first person on Mars. Very bright and capable, I told him if he put his mind to it there was a chance. Now Musk has gone and spoiled it, it looks like they're trying to get there in the next 5 years which would obviously rule him out. I thought it wouldn't happen until he was 30 or so, putting him in the right age bracket for it.

Still, even if he's not the first, he's still pretty determined to be involved in space exploration in some way. Pretty interesting how something grabs you when you're really little and just won't let go, almost like he's made for it or something.

My youngest is really into it as well.

He's 9 and has made it his personal goal, for a good 3-4 years now, to be the first person on Mars. Very bright and capable, I told him if he put his mind to it there was a chance. Now Musk has gone and spoiled it, it looks like they're trying to get there in the next 5 years which would obviously rule him out. I thought it wouldn't happen until he was 30 or so, putting him in the right age bracket for it.

Still, even if he's not the first, he's still pretty determined to be involved in space exploration in some way. Pretty interesting how something grabs you when you're really little and just won't let go, almost like he's made for it or something.

Trying being the standout word there. As much as I'd like to see it happen, I think five years is just to ambitious.

I haven’t bothered to look it up but I think he moved to the from Canada

You are right, he moved from Canada.

The journey went something like this: Born in South Africa. Grew up there. 

Moved to Canada, with the intent of getting to America. Got a scholarship at Penn State, did well, moved to California, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Christ imagine if that Tesla Roadster was UK registered, he'd be getting fines from the DVLA for not taxing it, not registering it as off road, not registering as scrapped. Probably speeding fines considering how fast it's going. 

It's pretty cool, taking up a large ump of concrete wouldn't have got anywhere near the same publicity. As a child of the 60s who was amazed with space (and would willingly shoot the moon landing deniers) it's good to see space travel back on the agenda in whatever form. 

You could just imagine aliens discovering that car one day and wondering what the fuck was going on. 

voy_the37s012.jpg

Oh and Voyager did it too. 

Christ imagine if that Tesla Roadster was UK registered, he'd be getting fines from the DVLA for not taxing it, not registering it as off road, not registering as scrapped. Probably speeding fines considering how fast it's going.

It's pretty cool, taking up a large ump of concrete wouldn't have got anywhere near the same publicity. As a child of the 60s who was amazed with space (and would willingly shoot the moon landing deniers) it's good to see space travel back on the agenda in whatever form.

You could just imagine aliens discovering that car one day and wondering what the fuck was going on.

voy_the37s012.jpg

With a mannequin sat in it and Space Oddity played on a loop.

voy_the37s012.jpg

I think he’s filled in his Statutory Off World Notification.

• Upvote 1

That whole launching of that rocket was such a life affirming moment. First time in a long time I got goosebumps and actually felt proud and excited to be a human - not that I had anything to do with the launch like. Watching the YouTube videos of ‘starman’ cruising in space is awesome.

Silly question but I seen space x released the last pic of the car before it went into the asteroid belt. Has the camera battery etc... run out of power now? I’m guessing that’s the last we’ll see of it?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NASA's planet hunting spacecraft, TESS (Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite), is set to launch tonight at 6.30pm ET in the US, which is 11.30pm here.

Link to NASA's live page which will have live video of the launch:

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

NASA and SpaceX are targeting the launch of NASA’s Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite, or TESS, on a Falcon 9 rocket from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida for no earlier than 6:51 p.m. EDT Wednesday, April 18.

TESS is the next step in the search for planets outside of our solar system. The mission will find exoplanets that periodically block part of the light from their host stars, events called transits. TESS will survey the nearest and brightest stars for two years to search for transiting exoplanets.