You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

NASA are publishing the first images from the James Webb telescope. Galactic cluster, humbling or what.

FXa8VR4VUAA8Z-5.jpeg

Its mind blowing- the whole concept of looking back across time makes my brain hurt.

People say that its because the time it takes for the light to travel across the universe means your looking at things from billions of years prior. 

What happens if you travel towards this light thats making its journey toward you? Do you see it pass alongside out of the window?  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Its mind blowing- the whole concept of looking back across time makes my brain hurt.

People say that its because the time it takes for the light to travel across the universe means your looking at things from billions of years prior. 

What happens if you travel towards this light thats making its journey toward you? Do you see it pass alongside out of the window?  

If you go to the Fiveways Roundabout at rush hour, you can wait there long enough that sooner or later - Matthew McConaughey drives past, and he's younger than you. 

• Upvote 4

If love to walk into the telescope HQ and ask them why they are pointing it specifically in that direction.

If you are going to build something thats possibly capable of seeing things such as the big bang or sometime soon thereafter, who and how do you conclude you should point it the the right and not the left?

Just turn it around 180 degrees guys- the answers will all be there 

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

NASA are publishing the first images from the James Webb telescope. Galactic cluster, humbling or what.

FXa8VR4VUAA8Z-5.jpeg

Well, it is but what’s even more remarkable is that the section of that sky covered in the image isn’t very big. And by not very big, it’s around the size of a grain of sand held at arms length.

In short, there’s more where that came from. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dave D said:

If love to walk into the telescope HQ and ask them why they are pointing it specifically in that direction.

If you are going to build something thats possibly capable of seeing things such as the big bang or sometime soon thereafter, who and how do you conclude you should point it the the right and not the left?

They'd be looking into the future then.

On 12/07/2022 at 12:09, Dave D said:

The 'Big Bang' didnt happen in that direction, or that opposite direct or some other direction. It happened everywhere hence why there's no centre of the Universe as such.

It's a hard concept to grasp seeing as we all think of an explosion having one centre. The Universe didnt and I struggle with that sometimes.

What they did was look at a tiny area for a long time and, with the aid of infra red and visible light cameras and filters, can see back further in time.

The Universe is awesome, just imagine if 2 of those very faint distant galaxies in the distant picture were the Milky Way and Andromeda! The Universe would need to be curved for that to happen and apparently, it's supposed to be shaped like a saddle?!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The 'Big Bang' didnt happen in that direction, or that opposite direct or some other direction. It happened everywhere hence why there's no centre of the Universe as such.

It's a hard concept to grasp seeing as we all think of an explosion having one centre. The Universe didnt and I struggle with that sometimes.

What they did was look at a tiny area for a long time and, with the aid of infra red and visible light cameras and filters, can see back further in time.

The Universe is awesome, just imagine if 2 of those very faint distant galaxies in the distant picture were the Milky Way and Andromeda! The Universe would need to be curved for that to happen and apparently, it's supposed to be shaped like a saddle?!

Tell that to the Pen & Wig 

11 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

It’s the looking back in time thing that blows my mind. I get the concept that it’s the light travelling billions of light years to get to us but surely that contradicts the theory it was “everywhere” as they are clearly pointing in a specific direction, we would have been part of the same explosion so perhaps we clearly don’t exist from the position the telescope is pointed at. So the light is travelling in all directions - so what happens when the light gets to all areas of the vastness of Space....

It’s a useful tool for an invading Imperial alien army- they could be on route but we wouldn’t see them as we are only seeing things from a trillion billion years prior.

Finally, if the universe is saddle shaped, that gives it definable edges- work that out?!

You will have to excuse my insane ramblings, I’ve been waiting 3 hours for the RAC this morning so very bored.......maybe they are here, but I just can’t see them as the light hasn’t arrived yet!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

It’s the looking back in time thing that blows my mind. I get the concept that it’s the light travelling billions of light years to get to us but surely that contradicts the theory it was “everywhere” as they are clearly pointing in a specific direction, we would have been part of the same explosion so perhaps we clearly don’t exist from the position the telescope is pointed at. So the light is travelling in all directions - so what happens when the light gets to all areas of the vastness of Space....

It’s a useful tool for an invading Imperial alien army- they could be on route but we wouldn’t see them as we are only seeing things from a trillion billion years prior.

Finally, if the universe is saddle shaped, that gives it definable edges- work that out?!

You will have to excuse my insane ramblings, I’ve been waiting 3 hours for the RAC this morning so very bored.......maybe they are here, but I just can’t see them as the light hasn’t arrived yet!

I agree, it does my head in too. The way I try to imagine it is to disregard what we consider an 'explosion' to be, from a single point expanding. I try and view the big bang as an explosion everywhere yet still expanding outwards. Even then, Im sure Ive misunderstood it all

3 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

We spend trillions on space exploration yet we can't even agree on feeding our fellow Humans or take care of the creatures we share the planet with. 

Fucked up Humans. 

It's not space exploration \ science that's the root cause of hungry. War, despotism, the persuit of individual mega wealth and selfishness, is.

One oil nation is spending billions of pounds on establishing sporting supremacy across a number of fields. Fucked up humans as you say.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

We spend trillions on space exploration yet we can't even agree on feeding our fellow Humans or take care of the creatures we share the planet with. 

Fucked up Humans. 

Funny you should say that.

I am on a job tomorrow that is a grant funded expensive internal refurbishment of a.........

......foodbank

Cant quite get my head around it- its perfectly functional now but the "official line" is to try and make it more comfortable for staff.

There's a few of these, Bootes Void and the Coal Sack etc. Colloquially called 'voids' because earlier astronomers thought they were devoid of anything and just empty, blackness.

Now we know different and this is what I find facinating about science and astronomy. We find new knowledge and information which helps us grasp the overall Universe better.

• Upvote 1