You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Captain Kirk goes to space. Looks a bit pensive. Still, Shatner looks good for 90 year old!

Did he just come straight back?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/oct/19/earths-demise-could-rid-galaxy-of-meaning-warns-brian-cox-ahead-of-cop26 

“The more I learn about biology … the more astonished I am we exist at all”, adding that while astronomers said there were about 20bn Earth-like planets in the Milky Way galaxy, “so we might expect life to be everywhere”, “almost every biologist I speak to says, ‘Yes, but all it will be is slime at best.’ We live in a violent universe and the idea you can have planets which are stable enough to have an unbroken chain of life might be quite restrictive.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/oct/19/earths-demise-could-rid-galaxy-of-meaning-warns-brian-cox-ahead-of-cop26 

“The more I learn about biology … the more astonished I am we exist at all”, adding that while astronomers said there were about 20bn Earth-like planets in the Milky Way galaxy, “so we might expect life to be everywhere”, “almost every biologist I speak to says, ‘Yes, but all it will be is slime at best.’ We live in a violent universe and the idea you can have planets which are stable enough to have an unbroken chain of life might be quite restrictive.”

Thanks for this. Coxy's Universe programme, BBC2 27 October.

News that the Breakthrough Listening Project's first alien candidate signal, BLC1, was 'likely' terrestrial interference and not of alien origin.

No doubt there will be numerous reports but everything Ive see so far is pretty inconclusive to support either proposition. However, to prove alien origin, the evidence must be irrefutible and independently verified which, this signal is not.

It therefore assumes similar enegmatic status as the Wow! signal.

https://theconversation.com/a-mysterious-signal-looked-like-a-sign-of-alien-technology-but-it-turned-out-to-be-radio-interference-170548

U-ho. NASA confirms the Hubble telescope has again gone into safe mode for the 2nd time this year. NASA said 'it experienced synchronisation issues with internal spacecraft communications.

Science observations have been temporarily suspended while the team investigates the issue.' And  'The instruments remain in good health.'

Hubble is was already running on the back up systems after the earlier fault couldnt be fixed on the then primary systems. If they cant resolve the current issue then it's looking grim for it.

52 minutes ago, Stickman said:

The famous Pale Blue Dot (Earth) picture taken by Voyager 1 in 1990 when NASA instructed it to look behind one final time at home before it left the solar system forever 

After which it became the first man-made object to reach interstellar space 

Such a great picture. It's also a bit depressing when you realise how insignificant we are, but equally how significant the human race is. 

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

The famous Pale Blue Dot (Earth) picture taken by Voyager 1 in 1990 when NASA instructed it to look behind one final time at home before it left the solar system forever 

After which it became the first man-made object to reach interstellar space 

It must be have been relatively near to be able to view Earth in that image- as in, not about to exit the Solar System imminently 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Such a great picture. It's also a bit depressing when you realise how insignificant we are, but equally how significant the human race is. 

it's mind boggling to think we could be the only planet with intelligent life , it might be unlikely but I guess we might never ever know

47 minutes ago, Dave D said:

It must be have been relatively near to be able to view Earth in that image- as in, not about to exit the Solar System imminently 

I think it entered interstellar ( the space between the stars) space in 2012...So 22 years later which I guess in astronomical terms is not even the blink of an eye

I read that Voyager is now 154 AU from earth which is 23.131 billion km; 14.373 billion miles and moves at 38,000 miles per hour...

6 hours ago, Dave D said:

The lazy bastard! Should have aborted the mission and stuck something up there with a bit of pace