You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

Mars missions from China and the United Arab Emirates arrive in orbit around the Red Planet this week, followed by the landing of NASA's Mars rover Perseverance next week. 

The UAE's Hope orbiter is set to arrive at the Red Planet on Tuesday, with China's Tianwen-1 mission following less than a day later.

https://www.space.com/mars-missions-from-china-uae-arrive-soon

China has made it to Mars.

The nation's first fully homegrown Mars mission, Tianwen-1, arrived in orbit around the Red Planet today (Feb. 10), according to Chinese media reports.

The milestone makes China the sixth entity to get a probe to Mars, joining the United States, the Soviet Union, the European Space Agency, India and the United Arab Emirates, whose Hope orbiter made it to the Red Planet just yesterday (Feb. 9).

And today's achievement sets the stage for something even more epic a few months from now — the touchdown of Tianwen-1's lander-rover pair on a large plain in Mars' northern hemisphere called Utopia Planitia, which is expected to take place this May. (China doesn't typically publicize details of its space missions in advance, so we don't know for sure exactly when that landing will occur.)

• Upvote 1

For those who walk amongst us and say computers couldnt have been used during the Moon landings, this is the video for you!

It's quite long at 80 minutes so you need to have some perseverance!

The guy might seem a bit geeky but he gives one of the best presentations Ive seen about the computers used.

10 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

NASA's  Perseverance rover lands on Mars (hopefully) today after a 7 month journey. 

It's on live on Sky News at 8:45 pm UK time tonight for those interested. 

This is not a dig but the bolded bit really irritates me, in a totally irrational way so I know it is my issue. It is on Sky news tonight, if people are interested or not.

As an aside I am interested and thanks for posting.

@Scooby Dudek indeed. And here's one of my many similar irrational irritations, this particular example written by DaveU in his most recent m@tch rep0rt...

" I’ve been talking for a few weeks about 'rock bottom' and whether I felt we’d reached it or not." There's no need for the "or not". It's everywhere nowadays, it's sloppy and it's deeply annoying.

And I don't care whether or not you agree with me. See? Or not. 

And I too am interested. 

• Upvote 1

No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope
studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds
immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and
surely, they drew their plans against us.