You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

I always feel underwhelmed with nasa announcements because you know they won't do anything interesting about it anyway. 

"Water has been discovered on Mars meaning we could build a base there."

"Are you going to?"

"No."

When you think of the pictures beamed back from the Voyager probes, the deployment of Hubble, the moon landings, it's been a barren couple of decades. 

Say what you want about the USSR, but competition does stir progress.

20 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I always feel underwhelmed with nasa announcements because you know they won't do anything interesting about it anyway. 

"Water has been discovered on Mars meaning we could build a base there."

"Are you going to?"

"No."

When you think of the pictures beamed back from the Voyager probes, the deployment of Hubble, the moon landings, it's been a barren couple of decades. 

Say what you want about the USSR, but competition does stir progress.

Yep. You'd be forgiven hoping that by now, there'd be a lot more and better co operation with space exploration. Obviously the ISS is a major one but it's still divided into 'theirs' and 'ours' depending on who you view as 'yours'!

I'll very likely be in me box or just a vase of dust by the time 'man' lands on Mars. In 1969, I was convinced we'd be talking about landing on Mars by the year 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

Boss 

On October 29, 2020, NASA re-established contact with its Voyager 2 spacecraft, launched from Earth in 1977. The craft is now traveling more than 11.6 billion miles (18.8 billion km) from Earth. It is beyond the heliopause, or boundary region, where the sun’s influence ends and the interstellar medium begins. The 43-year-old space probe was left flying solo for 7 months while repairs were made to the radio antenna that commands it. The only radio antenna that can command the space probe – the Deep Space Station 43 (DSS43) antenna in Canberra, Australia – has been offline since March.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Boss 

On October 29, 2020, NASA re-established contact with its Voyager 2 spacecraft, launched from Earth in 1977. The craft is now traveling more than 11.6 billion miles (18.8 billion km) from Earth. It is beyond the heliopause, or boundary region, where the sun’s influence ends and the interstellar medium begins. The 43-year-old space probe was left flying solo for 7 months while repairs were made to the radio antenna that commands it. The only radio antenna that can command the space probe – the Deep Space Station 43 (DSS43) antenna in Canberra, Australia – has been offline since March.

Incredible more like.

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Boss 

Wow 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 14:38, Section_31 said:

Boss 

Meh. Let me know when it reaches the nearest star. Then I'll be impressed.

On 07/11/2020 at 20:04, Colonel Kurtz said:

There a good article here. Estimates of 200 billion dollars and a 20 year lead time maybe more and this would require nearly all the current NASA programs to be suspended. It’s not likely to happen in my lifetime that’s for sure.  
https://qz.com/1273644/heres-how-nasa-and-spacex-chart-the-price-of-a-trip-to-mars/

Very interesting. I just don't see it happening. It's virtually impossible in current and forseeable circumstances. Bit depressing really. 

The whole planet would have to pull together, working to one aim, everyone supporting the mission. I don't see that ever happening.

Maybe if we were visited by another civilization who could give us a boost in technology - but again, I don't think that will happen the odds are tremendously high of an intelligent species being near enough, and developed enough. 

Anyway, chin up! 

Or maybe they're here already?

The Mystery of the Metal Monolith: Obelisk found in Utah desert has been there for YEARS, according to Google Earth - sparking theories it could be the work of extraterrestrial guests or late minimalist artist John McCracken

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8986163/amp/Mysterious-monolith-Utah-desert-2016-Google-satellite-images-show.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Or maybe they're here already?

The Mystery of the Metal Monolith: Obelisk found in Utah desert has been there for YEARS, according to Google Earth - sparking theories it could be the work of extraterrestrial guests or late minimalist artist John McCracken

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8986163/amp/Mysterious-monolith-Utah-desert-2016-Google-satellite-images-show.html

They could release a video of the artist actually installing it and it won't matter to the alien nuts now it will all be a cover up.