You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

That was great. I'm relieved it didn't explode. Shame the camera cut out for the seconds the rocket was landing - I wonder if that was intentional in case it went wrong? 

Id imagine so. Definite delay by about 10 seconds. Rightly so too. 

6 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

That was great. I'm relieved it didn't explode. Shame the camera cut out for the seconds the rocket was landing - I wonder if that was intentional in case it went wrong? 

Suspect it might have been the disruption of the actual landing. Brilliant to be able to watch everything in real time. Also being able to see the comparison of the more simplified controls in Dragon compared to something like the Space Shuttle as well.

It's a shame something like that isn't on terrestrial TV (unless it was and I missed it, I was on YouTube). Even just a half hour show with the launch and a couple of talking heads. The BBC have those springwatch live shows which have black and white grainy footage of gerbils and otters so why can't they show humans flying into space? 

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Why is this so important? Don't get it. Don't they go to Space all the time now? 

First US launched manned flight for about 11 years. Have had to depend on the Ruskies to get to the ISS as they had no certified crewed capable launch system.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

What exactly are they up to in that space station. Aside from fannying about.

Floating around. I also noticed that the two astronauts weren't socially distanced so I'm hoping they've got visors and masks up in the floating thing. 

5 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Decent view of the ISS here in the North West and the very briefest of glimpses of the Space X module.

Never saw the Dragon. Was surprised how good a view of the ISS was seeing as the paper said it would be low in the sky. It was but it cleared the rooftops!

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Never saw the Dragon. Was surprised how good a view of the ISS was seeing as the paper said it would be low in the sky. It was but it cleared the rooftops!

The ISS was a lot higher and brighter in the sky earlier in the week but it's always cool to see it go past.