You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

On 26/04/2020 at 16:22, Dougie Do'ins said:

If you didn't get a chance to see this on Friday, get it watched while it's still on iplayer. Some of the images are just mind blowing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hjpw/horizon-2020-hubble-the-wonders-of-space-revealed

After I’d sent them your link my nieces (10 and 12) watched it today as part of their home schooling science studies, and loved it, but were a bit sad at the end because the telescope won’t be getting any more visits or upgrades,

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Anubis said:

After I’d sent them your link my nieces (10 and 12) watched it today as part of their home schooling science studies, and loved it, but were a bit sad at the end because the telescope won’t be getting any more visits or upgrades,

Got to be honest, I felt a little down on hearing that. Wonder how much longer it's got left ?

Doubt space exploration will be high up on the list of things for a while now.

• 2 weeks later...

With Musk planning to send three space tourists to the ISS next year, and Tom Cruise gegging in on the act by making a film on the ISS, I wonder if he might see his way to helping NASA upgrade Hubble?

15 hours ago, Anubis said:

With Musk planning to send three space tourists to the ISS next year, and Tom Cruise gegging in on the act by making a film on the ISS, I wonder if he might see his way to helping NASA upgrade Hubble?

Can Hubble service missions be done from the ISS ? Wouldn't they need to develop a new shuttle type craft to get to the same orbit as Hubble carrying men/women and the required equipment and get them back home again ? 

44 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Can Hubble service missions be done from the ISS ? Wouldn't they need to develop a new shuttle type craft to get to the same orbit as Hubble carrying men/women and the required equipment and get them back home again ? 

Sounds like Mission: Impossible.

46 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Sorry, I was referring to Musk using his resources to send a team to the Hubble, rather than a mission from the ISS. But I wasn’t very clear.

12 hours ago, Stickman said:

Margaret Hamilton NASA software engineering stands nest to the code she wrote by hand for the mission that took man to the moon 

EWpSP3ZXkAIJUq-?format=jpg&name=medium

That's like that picture of that book understanding women in paperback, I sent it to a  girl and she said you need a bigger book

On 08/05/2020 at 00:22, Anubis said:

Sorry, I was referring to Musk using his resources to send a team to the Hubble, rather than a mission from the ISS. But I wasn’t very clear.

Isn’t it ancient now? Why not build a new one?  Sending people to do anything in space is incredibly expensive. 

32 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Would you feel comparatively safe in a privately owned and built space craft as opposed one built by NASA say? 

Bit disappointed I haven't seen any the Meteors that where forecast, but as someone said Venus looks good. 

Ask Bob Ebeling

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

More like Zelda nowadays. But he was the man working for a private company that told NASA that launching Challenger in cold weather was a bad idea.  

Right, NASA get private companies to build various parts anyway? As with the one who made panels or something that failed, maybe that was Colombia?