You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

• 2 months later...
Guest San Don
Anyone been watching Stargazing Live on BBC 2 ?

Third and last part on now. One of the few programmes to come out of the BBC that justify the licence fee. Well worth a look on the i player if you've missed this.

I know its a couple of weeks ago now but yeah we watched it. We went to Jodrell Bank the thursday after the last programme and saw Prof Brian Cox. Just said hello as you do a he was giving a lecture to a school who had won a prize on astronomy, the prize being him delivering the lecure!

While we were there the Lovell Dish (the big one) swung around which was quite impressive in its own right.

As someone said, the expanding universe always gets me too. Same with the 'there may be more universe more than 14 billion light years away. We just cannot see it as the light hasnt had time to reach us yet!'

Mind blowing stuff!

[YOUTUBE]PkNTzStmdJk[/YOUTUBE]

That's superb. I find myself feeling incredibly insignificant, not for the first time in this thread. Makes you wonder what's the point of it all. Us, I mean. We're nothing. we're less than microscopic grains of dust, our entire species.

Guest San Don
That's superb. I find myself feeling incredibly insignificant, not for the first time in this thread. Makes you wonder what's the point of it all. Us, I mean. We're nothing. we're less than microscopic grains of dust, our entire species.

We could be 'living' in a simulation and surprisingly, the boffins say there is 'tantilising' evidence this may be the case! :wow:

This could be one reason why there is no evidence of other intelligent life in our galaxy (because it has been designed that way)

Even with our limited technology, we could colonise the entire galaxy in 50 miliion years. An intelligence civilisation that could attain speeds of about 20% of the speed of light could do the job in a little more than 5 million years.

Our solar system is 4.5 billion years old but the galaxy is reckoned to be 10 to 12 BY old, there has been time for the galaxy to have been colonised many times over before we appeared.

Truely mind blowing if you stop and think about it.

Science is fanny central, claims Professor Brian Cox

03-02-11

TOP scientists are nailing a load of fanny, according to dance-pop physicist Brian Cox.

The TV professor believes there is still a preconception that science experts are unlikely to enjoy large amounts of debauched consequence-free sex with saucy girls from every corner of the globe.

Professor Cox said: "The amount of fanny I'm getting is mental.

"And I say that as someone who's used to thinking of things on a quantum scale. Seriously, I'm quite at home with the vastness of the universe, time, space etc. but if I start thinking about the sheer volume of hairy pie I'm tucking into, it properly does my head in.

"The truth is, if you can give a clear and succinct explanation of holographic principle or gravity waves or any of that shit while looking a drunk girl right in the eye and occasionally touching her hair, you're good to go. The punani express has pulled into the station and all you need to do is jump aboard."

Cox also revealed details of a particularly licentious trip to the Large Hadron Collider with Professor Stephen Hawking.

"There was at least 50 science sluts who just jumped out from behind one of the massive quadrupole magnets that are integral to the particle acceleration process, flashing their tits and wearing 'Large Hardon InsideHer' t-shirts, which Stephen in particular thought was very cheeky.

"They were proper filth. Let's just say, we took them back to the Holiday Inn and filled them full of genetic material."

He added: "The next afternoon I woke up and the room was trashed, Steve was on the floor naked except for his glasses, covered in sick and with toothpaste in his hair. His chair, which is really expensive, was floating in the swimming pool all smashed up.

"That night I delivered a paper on stochastic growth of quantum fluctuations to the Royal Institution, and I had to have a bucket by the podium because I kept spewing."

• 1 month later...
Do you still like your mushrooms Meat?

Yes. Yes I do.

Another groovy spacey thing for tonight.

It's a nice clear sky out there tonight, well it is here at least, with a lovely full Moon. Have a gander at the Moon, and see that orangey-looking point of light up and to the right of the Moon? That's Mars, that is.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest San Don
Supposedly the best day to see Venus and Jupiter tonight. Look out at the moon, and the little speck to the left is Jupiter. The big shiny thing above it is Venus.

546393289.jpg?key=573745&Expires=1332709679&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=C05xY4xaJpW5Nlb5n9QpbNeIpqjaWZj1KFkrAYbzoQRu29hVoQ6r5qLA5NI1m7MJNpqAJl6wHnKa5YhlS%7EfG07hTmiVR1S7oYDf6IcgDXJp347%7EEn4YuesypdOqqBoea4VMenWwiptuZ-gzOIhYDJVRuEJiDU9YamGLIu5EX-qs_

Think it was a few days ago when they were a lot closer together from earth's perspective. Just been having a look at this as the night sky is very clear right now. If you look closely at the moon, you can just make out earthshine which is light reflected by the earth onto the moon.

Awesome stuff.