You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

**Warning, Long reply ahead**

One day someone will make a proper Victorian War of the Worlds movie.

None of this Americanisation of the book we've had recently and in the 1950's

I too yearn for the day when this part of the book makes it to the silver screen...

If there's one scene from a book that I desperately want to see on film before I die, it's that one. Have some rep.

Whilst we've got onto things related to space and martians, any old excuse in fact, to post this:

wotw1.jpg

I will buy the biggest image of that I can find when I get my golden handshake in three times and it will be the centrepiece of one of my walls. Fantastic, fantastic picture. Tunnels on Mars created by these guys, perhaps? :whistle::eek:

How did the Navy get to dig tunnels on Mars? Perhaps if they'd spent more time shooting and less time digging they would have won this battle...:whistle:

**Warning, Long reply ahead**

One day someone will make a proper Victorian War of the Worlds movie.

None of this Americanisation of the book we've had recently and in the 1950's

I too yearn for the day when this part of the book makes it to the silver screen...

One day, it will arrive. It might have to be me who does it, but it will happen! I suspect we'll have to wait for Jeff Wayne's CGI to get finished before we do, mind.

It's such an important part of the book and nobody has done it properly - it is, in fact fundamental to the entire story, that is the moment when humanity was doomed because the Thunder Child was the only thing left to defend us.

Google Image Result for http://www.stpaulsgallery.com/Images/rsz_war-of-the-worlds-signed-jeff-wayne.jpg

I will buy that picture in three years, if it's the last thing I do. It is one of the most powerful images I know of. It's also one of the very, very hard to find images that show the steamer in the background, the steamer which the Thunderchild was sacrificed to save.

I think inner space needs to be cracked before we really look outward at the stars again.

We need new sources of fuel, communications and nano-technology.

Some of the funding spent by NASA is quite baffling - i.e the effects of zero gravity on the growth of cress. I'd rather they spent that money looking into things like Ion propulsion and Tera-Forming.

Not sure if this is true but it's daft enough to be. NASA spent millions of dollars trying to perfect a pen that could write in zero gravity. They eventually did invent one, which I'm sure was advertised on TV too, some bloke in a plane writing while he was flying upside down. Anywho, NASA were so chuffed with themselves at this breakthrough, that was until the Russians asked why they'd wasted all that money and didn't just use pencils instead. . .

Not sure if this is true but it's daft enough to be. NASA spent millions of dollars trying to perfect a pen that could write in zero gravity. They eventually did invent one, which I'm sure was advertised on TV too, some bloke in a plane writing while he was flying upside down. Anywho, NASA were so chuffed with themselves at this breakthrough, that was until the Russians asked why they'd wasted all that money and didn't just use pencils instead. . .

The bit about the pen is true, but the part about the Russians using pencils instead is a myth.

snopes.com: NASA Space Pen

• 3 weeks later...

Jupiter (and moons)

Just wow

jup1tz7.jpg

Jupiter's moon Io floats above the cloudtops of Jupiter in this image captured January 1, 2001. The image is deceiving: there are 350,000 kilometers - roughly 2.5 Jupiters - between Io and Jupiter's clouds. Io is about the size of our own moon (NASA/JPL/University of Arizona)

jup2gm8.jpg

This image of Jupiter's moon Europa rising above Jupiter was captured by the New Horizons spacecraft in February just after it passed Jupiter on its way to Pluto and the outer Solar System. (NASA, Johns Hopkins U. APL, SWRI)

jup3od9.jpg

The gibbous phase of Jupiter's moon Europa. The robot spacecraft Galileo captured this image mosaic during its mission orbiting Jupiter from 1995 - 2003. Evidence and images from the Galileo spacecraft, indicated that liquid oceans might exist below the icy surface. (Galileo Project, JPL, NASA; reprocessed by Ted Stryk)

jup6qt2.jpg

This image, acquired during Galileo's ninth orbit around Jupiter, shows two volcanic plumes on Io. One plume was captured on the bright limb or edge of the moon, erupting over a caldera (volcanic depression) named Pillan Patera. The plume seen by Galileo is 140 kilometers (86 miles) high, and was also detected by the Hubble Space Telescope. The second plume, seen near the terminator, the boundary between day and night, is called Prometheus. The shadow of the airborne plume can be seen extending to the right of the eruption vent. (NASA/JPL/University of Arizona)

jup8oj5.gif

This five-frame sequence of New Horizons images captures the giant plume from Io's Tvashtar volcano. Snapped by the probe's Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) as the spacecraft flew past Jupiter earlier this year, this first-ever "movie" of an Io plume clearly shows motion in the cloud of volcanic debris, which extends 330 kilometers (200 miles) above the moon's surface. Only the upper part of the plume is visible from this vantage point - the plume's source is 130 kilometers (80 miles) below the edge of Io's disk, on the far side of the moon. (NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute)

• 1 month later...
Quality, tell you what I'd love to see, Saturn from one of its moons. Imagine that? The whole planet and its rings filling the sky?

Funny you should say that, I've started operating that very tour only this week. Jut follow the links on the website below to order your very own copy of a ticket.*

http://www.I'mboredyourgullible.com

*Please note: ticket only entitles buyer to a number of voyages greater than zero but smaller than one. Rights of purchase still apply in the state of Alabama. Offer open to GB residents only.

• 2 weeks later...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgg2tpUVbXQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgg2tpUVbXQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Both inspiring, and depressing.

• 1 month later...