You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've been playing for one of my local pub sides for the past 2 years. It's a pretty poor standard and i do think (without being big headed) i'm a little above the level we play at. My team's pretty shit and i've been offered by another lad i know to go and try at a local semi pro team. I'm not sure i'd make it there but he thinks i'd have a shot.

The only problem is, they train twice a week and play Saturdays which means no Friday nights out and i'm still only a young lad, plus i don't really know anyone there and at my current team we have a fucking great laugh and as one of the by better players in my side i feel like i'd be letting my mates down fucking off, especially as one or two other lads have gone and it was this group of lads who dragged me down to play with them in the first place which i'm really greatful for.

Playing for both isn't an option really so do i stay with my underachieveing sunday league team, have a great laugh and keep scoring hat fulls of goals in a shitty league, or do i try and better myself at a level i may not be good enough to play at with a bunch of lads i don't know?

personally i'd just score shitloads of goals and take the glory in the shit side, football is still supposed to be fun, and its all about playing with your mates in my opinion.

Depends how good you are and how much money is on offer at the Semi Pro club

personally i'd just score shitloads of goals and take the glory in the shit side, football is still supposed to be fun, and its all about playing with your mates in my opinion.

Depends how good you are and how much money is on offer at the Semi Pro club

That's what i was thinking. The money's fuck all really, not part of the decision and it's not like i could end up playing league football or anything. My initial thought was like yours, just stay and have fun but i don't know if if i'd regret not trying at a decent level. Fuck knows!

Sorry Monty. You big language Nazi, you.

You make out you spelt something wrong. You didn't, you got your point completely arse over tit. All the right words were there I suppose, you just pulled them out of the hat in the wrong order.

You mongy fish in a mongy pond.

You make out you spelt something wrong. You didn't, you got your point completely arse over tit. All the right words were there I suppose, you just pulled them out of the hat in the wrong order.

You mongy fish in a mongy pond.

It was a mistake and I apologised. You vertically challenged fish in a vertically challenged pond.

Seriously, you should go for it.

You could ponder it for a season then get a nasty injury which means the descision has been taken out your hands and by the time you get back into it again you're too old, slow and shit to play at that level.

Me? Bitter?

Fucking right I am.

I've been in this position a couple of times. The first time it occured was when I was playing for the second team at Uni and was called up for the first team. I went, played well and ended up doing really well for them but it was never the same as with the second team. I regretted the decision big time even though I was playing at a higher level (semi-pro).

The next time I got the chance was just when playing amateur footy - could have went to play for a better side but turned it down and stayed loyal to the manager. Never regretted it at all, although that could be because i'd already had the experience?

From my experience i'd say stay with your current team, but I suppose there will be loads of other examples to counter mine...

I played for Sunday League for 11 years from age 7 to 18, all with the same club. In the early years we where shite, got walloped week in week out. But then as we got older we got better. There is a core of about 5 of us who stayed right the way through. We ended up a fairly decent side and won the league at under 16s, then finished second twice when we moved up to the youth league. Our team spirit was second to none. We had some lads playing for us who where superb and had trials around various clubs in the area (Liverpool being one for one of the lads). They couldve left but never did. Everyone who joined us loved it, training was a laugh, the manager had taken us right the way through from under 9s and all the lads loved him. We where treated to meals and nights out, all self funded from subs and things like that and paid for by the club. We went on tours to Belgium, Scotland, up in the North East, and then we had a final 10th Anniversary tour over to Dublin which was one of the best weekends of my life. These where the last games we played as a team before we ended. Lads where going off to uni and things like that and after 10years it was the logical way for us to end... on a high.

My advice to you would be to stay where you are. Unless you really think you have what it takes to make something out of the game, then id say your enjoyment and happiness with your current team will outweigh anything else. As others have said, the grass isnt always greener. We had a few lads who came back to us after joining "better" teams, because they just didnt enjoy it and settle in. At this level, its about fun and enjoying yourself. If these lads have got you back in to your footy and they're the reason you enjoy it so much, then i'd think i owed them a degree of loyalty. Some may see what im saying as lacking ambition, but IMO, at this level, its about going out and enjoying your football. Stay where you are mate.

If your commited and want to progess as a footballer go for it, if you want a good laugh with you mates stay where you are. The truth is if you play with better footballers you will become a better player, if it was me id go for it, id want to challange myself to see how good i was.

I had some great laughs playing with my mates, but my proudest moments were when i took the step up. Think of it as a promotion at work.... would you take that?

why not step up on a sat but also sign on with the sunday lads then you can play for them if you get a free week or your sat game is called off. Then if your not enjoying it you can go back to being the hero on a sunday!

At the moment only one option is open to you. If I were in your shoes I would try with the better team. If you make the grade then two options are open to you and you have a choice to make.

Perhaps you will go for a trial, make the grade, but you turn them down. At least then you know with 100% certainty you are good enough, but you choose to have fun with your football and your mates, while not letting it cramp your style too much with Friday night's etc.