You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Nick

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romania is a decent side ( both Italy and France failed to beat them ) and they are able to beat even a full Holland side on their day. And if they beat Holland tomorrow everyone would still say that Holland just lied down. So the press will have their field day. Another side to it is that Holland has every right to put out whatever side they want to. Holland has to focus on themselves, they can rest some players, build some players match fitness and dont risk them returning from injuries or carrying knocks. Whatever they do the Italians and the French cant complain as they made their own bed, and both failed to beat Romania, so they can only blame themselves.

Im pretty sure the dutch players picked will do their best to win the match as anything else would be killing the game and pretty much as bad as corruption.

I would rest players who have been booked. I think in the Dutch's case that is only Oijer. Then I would rest crucial players like Sneijder, van Bronckhorst, van Nistelrooy and van der Vaart. Then I would let the likes of Kuyt, van Persie, Robben, Affelay play one half each. Huntelaar in for van Nistelrooy is a no-brainer and then I would tell the players to keep the ball when they got it and then take the opportunities they would get.

This resting of players could be a good idea, but to keep the momentum going I would let them have a little taste just to keep them sharp for the quarter final. Just let them have some fun and don't worry about the others, but still make sure they put in a decent effort respecting the unwritten rules of fair play.

DESPERATE Italy have written an open letter to Holland boss Marco van Basten to beg him to field a strong team against Romania tonight.

World champions Italy are on the brink of disaster — if Romania beat the Dutch both they and France go out regardless of the result in Zurich.

The letter said: “Dear Marco, we are hoping to be able to give you our thanks not only for the beautiful football that your team is showing but also for the great favour you can do your great friend Roberto Donadoni and all your admirers in Italy.”

It was signed by Arrigo Sacchi, the legendary Italy chief who also managed Van Basten at AC Milan.

Van Basten is revered in Italy after eight years at the San Siro, where he was a team-mate of Italy boss Donadoni.

But with Holland already qualified and top of their group after thrashing Italy and France there are fears the Dutch will rest players ahead of their quarter-final.

France boss Raymond Domenech expects the worst. He said: “Our game against Italy will not be decisive. It’s the other match that matters. My opinion is Holland will make wholesale changes and it is already written that Romania will qualify.”

Van Basten said: “We’re under no obligation to win the game but will take it seriously.

“I will make some changes. But we’re going for a win.”

Italian FA president Giancarlo Abete warned: “The credibility of the whole tournament and European football at large are at stake.

“If you look at the way Holland beat both Italy and France then the match with Romania should end similarly.”

Yet UEFA are adamant Holland can play their reserves tonight in Berne.

Spokesman William Gaillard said: “That Holland could field subs or reserve players makes sense.

“You don’t risk yellow cards, you rest your best players, give a chance to others to prove themselves. It’s not against the rules, it’s a fact of life.”

Holland have been the stars of Euro 2008 and know if they lose to Romania both Italy and France will be going home.

But Dutch defender Khalid Boulahrouz has scoffed at suggestions his side will roll over.

Ex-Chelsea defender Boulahrouz, now at Seville, snapped: “Lose a match on purpose? Are you crazy? We would never do anything like that. What do you think this is, a playground?”

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie added: “It’s impossible for a professional sportsman to deliberately lose a match.

“We are going out there to do our best. We want to beat Romania.”

------------------------------------------------------------

You have to love the Italians, if it was the other way round you KNOW they would want to knock out both Holland and France to nullify the competition. You didn't hear the other teams complaining when other teams fielded weakened teams but you just knew the Italians would say something.

Guest TK-421

If I were van Basten

Ya ha deedle deedle bubba bubba deedle deedle dum

All day long I'd biddy biddy bum

If I were a van Basten

Discuss.

Holland have earned the right to field any team they like tonight in order to save players for later games.

If I were Van Basten, then yes I would field a weakened team because you can bet your life if the Italians and the French were in the same position they would as well.

What have Holland to gain? They've already paggered both Italy and France - why would they start to give themselves "bottlers" tags? If they're going to win the thing, they might as well win it as the team who beat all comers, rather than a team who lost to a bunch of Eastern Europeans along the way because they couldn't face the prospect of playing France again.

If they play a full strength team, they'll win handsomely, which will just give them even more confidence. Tiredness doesn't come into it; I can see a case for leaving out players nearing suspension but otherwise there's nothing to be gained - apart from the fringe players who'd get a game.

i would pick the worst players and play the full backs on the wrong side, pick a defensive midfield and one up front and tell the players quite clearly to let the opposition have the ball, i could care less about the rules or corruption, it increases the chance of Holland of lifting the cup if France and Italy are out

What have Holland to gain? They've already paggered both Italy and France - why would they start to give themselves "bottlers" tags? If they're going to win the thing, they might as well win it as the team who beat all comers, rather than a team who lost to a bunch of Eastern Europeans along the way because they couldn't face the prospect of playing France again.

If they play a full strength team, they'll win handsomely, which will just give them even more confidence. Tiredness doesn't come into it; I can see a case for leaving out players nearing suspension but otherwise there's nothing to be gained - apart from the fringe players who'd get a game.

Because why would you risk the chance of injuries in a pointless game? They're already top and have nothing to play for. The last thing you would do is play your star players and then they get crocked in a game Romania have to win. Fuck that, i'd rest the whole team and play 2nd stringers. If we win then great, if not fuck it the french and italians are out and we still top the group. It's the same thing that both Portugal and Croatia have done....it's called commonsense.