You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Penalties?

Remmie

On 12/07/2021 at 08:50, YorkshireRed said:

I once missed a penalty in a schoolboy game so I can empathise with how those guys are feeling. Side footed the fucking thing the wrong side of the bastard post. 

The best part of 35 years later and I still call myself a cunt every morning for my failure. 

It’s important that they don’t let their respective missed penalties define them as a person in the way I have. It’s not a road I’d wish on anyone. 

I once scored direct from a corner late in a game and some goal hanging twat on our team claimed he’d got a touch on it when he blatantly hadn’t. Still pisses me off now and I was 11 years old at the time. 

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

'They' reckon the team that goes first in the penalty shootout wins more than the team that goes second.

I think it is a lottery because the one thing you cant take into account is the nerves that are accruing in some player's mind as they take that long walk to the penalty spot plus keepers try and outpsyche the penalty taker a lot more.

It’s not a lottery though, the stats bear out that it’s something like 70% of all penalty shootouts are won by the team going first. So it’s obviously a huge advantage, you shitbag twat. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I still think it's a lottery as I said. You cant legislate for what's going on in a player's head as he walks up plus, the team going 2nd sometimes does win. Therefore it isnt a slam dunk on who goes first wins all the time.

Pressure is just one of the things a professional footballer has to handle,it's still a skill.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Pressure is just one of the things a professional footballer has to handle,it's still a skill.

I agree pressure is something they have to handle. Im saying some can, some cant. I still think they should just put their bastard laces through it.

It isn't a lottery at all, not in any way shape or form - it is a test of nerve and technique...as well as being a one v one battle between the taker and the keeper.

Best pens in my view are hit firmly and aimed into the side netting - well executed kicks like that are rarely saved even if keeper goes the right way.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, an tha said:

It isn't a lottery at all, not in any way shape or form - it is a test of nerve and technique...as well as being a one v one battle between the taker and the keeper.

Best pens in my view are hit firmly and aimed into the side netting - well executed kicks like that are rarely saved even if keeper goes the right way.

Is correct. 

Gerrard said Reina taught him the spot hardest to save for a keeper. 

On 15/07/2021 at 09:10, an tha said:

Kane's pen in the final: Exhibit A

Watching Milner, it's clear he isn't a "natural goal-scorer".

But it's also clear he's trained himself to become an excellent penalty taker.

Maybe other players don't see the utility: if they're not one of their side's penalty takers, they're not really going to get that much chance to use the skill.

Better to train at something they'll use throughout matches--there's a lot of money out there, and a lot of competition for jobs. 

1 minute ago, polymerpunkah said:

Maybe other players don't see the utility: if they're not one of their side's penalty takers, they're not really going to get that much chance to use the skill.

Better to train at something they'll use throughout matches--there's a lot of money out there, and a lot of competition for jobs. 

Until they are in a penalty shoot out for a major trophy and fuck it up.

3 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Being a natural goalscorer and being able to cleanly strike a ball into a corner from 12 yards isn't really close to the same thing. 

Rashford has scored 15 of 17 penalties

Gerrard 46 of 54,Lampard 60 of 70. Didn't stop any of them missing in penalty shootouts. 

You can't train for taking pressure pens after 120 mins of football. 

I remember the story of the Roma European Cup final. 

In my opinion its always has been and always will be about bottle and technique. 

England have it in their heads they'll lose on pens more often than not. Look at our record 17 wins out of 23. 

The losses

Wimbledon League Cup (1st team)

Northampton(kids)

Beskitas(the team was shite, Rodgers in Europe and didn'tplay Coutinho)

City League cup final

Arsenal Community shield

Arsenal League cup(battered them all game. Only Salah,Virg and Jota actual starters and only Gini finish game)

Good teams win shootouts more often that not, teams that are good technically and stay composed. Out of our 6 losses 2 have been with full teams, one was a shit team missing its best players and the other three reserves and kids.