You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Penalties?

Remmie

I'm sure I read some statistic a few years ago that stated the team that takes the first penalty tends to win 55 to 60% of the time. I think all the lottery stuff is a load of rubbish, it's pretty much all down to mental strength, as people have noted on the other threads players who have a forlorn body language when they are approaching often miss the ensuing penalty.

I think it was Darren Purse in 2001 who walked towards the penalty spot (and the booing, whistling Reds fans) with his fingers in his ears.  I remember thinking "Don't even bother kicking it, Son."

Edit: Not Purse, Ranger (?)

I always think players who have a short or long run up stand more chance of cocking up.

One pace from the ball trying to be clever ends up in an underpowered shot, and when they place the ball quickly and stride to outside the area you just know it's a good bet it'll be blooted over the bar.

There's nothing more satisfying though than seeing some twat try a stuttering run up and seeing his shot saved. You even catch the moment it dawns on him that he should've just taken three steps and hit it hard into a corner.

Guest Pistonbroke

I was at my German mates house yesterday playing poker and as always we were chatting about football. He said it's all down to having a German manager that we won the shoot out. 

I pointed out that Can was the only player to miss for us and he said, "yeah, plastic German."....obviously tongue in cheek. 

Daniel Finkelstein crunched the numbers in his Fink Tank column in the Times a few years back and (if memory serves me correct) came to two conclusions:

1) The better team tends to win more often. It isn't a 50:50 thing.

2) Away teams win more often than home teams.

Daniel Finkelstein crunched the numbers in his Fink Tank column in the Times a few years back and (if memory serves me correct) came to two conclusions:

1) The better team tends to win more often. It isn't a 50:50 thing.

2) Away teams win more often than home teams.

Stoke were unlucky on both counts then

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It blows my mind that professional footballers have so much trouble with these. Just stick it in the top corner. Nobody's saving that.

Del Piero done it for 10 years, lash it high into the top corner and no keeper is saving it. Even slabhead could do it.

I do wonder if French, Italian and Spanish players have the same fear of being splashed over the front pages and called turnips or whatever? England and their scummy media bring this on themselves.

• Upvote 1

For all the stuff said about Kane's suitability to being captain, you couldn't really argue with his effort here- takes the first and fucking buries it. 

What happened after that is another matter!

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

I do wonder if French, Italian and Spanish players have the same fear of being splashed over the front pages and called turnips or whatever? England and their scummy media bring this on themselves.

Italy had a pretty dire record in penalty shootouts prior to this tournament, only winning three out of nine. That was exactly the same as England's coming into the tournament, although I'd question whether winning a shootout in the Nations League counts for much. Maybe Italy winning two penalty shootouts in Euro 2020 is a sign they were the best team in the competition. 

• Upvote 1

I once missed a penalty in a schoolboy game so I can empathise with how those guys are feeling. Side footed the fucking thing the wrong side of the bastard post. 

The best part of 35 years later and I still call myself a cunt every morning for my failure. 

It’s important that they don’t let their respective missed penalties define them as a person in the way I have. It’s not a road I’d wish on anyone. 

• Upvote 2

On 28/01/2016 at 13:08, VladimirIlyich said:

A lot more science goes into penalty taking now so its far from a lottery.

The modern theory,and it appears its more prevalent,is to avoid the low corners and hit the high parts of the net. Even hitting the higher parts of the net centrally seem to work better.

Ive always preferred fat head Royles methodology.  Twat down the middle into the roof of the net.

'They' reckon the team that goes first in the penalty shootout wins more than the team that goes second.

I think it is a lottery because the one thing you cant take into account is the nerves that are accruing in some player's mind as they take that long walk to the penalty spot plus keepers try and outpsyche the penalty taker a lot more.