You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jill Dando murder re-trial begins

Guest PaddyBerger15

Guest PaddyBerger15

I must admit, this case passed me by the first time around. I remember the press coverage and the incident, but for whatever reason, the trial evidence and the aftermath didn't register.

Anyway, the re-trial of Barry George opened at the Old Bailey today...so what do we reckon? Guilty as the puppy sitting by the pile of plop, or miscarriage of justice?

Guest PaddyBerger15

Yeah I saw that 'Strung. It was on the BBC as I recall, some black dude doing a freelance Docu/investigation type of a thing...if you take that at face value, then the evidence seemed pretty flimsy and circumstantial.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I think the prosecution 'evidence' revolved around the fact that the guy George was a bit 'odd' and seemed to have a fixation with celebrity in general and Jill Dando in particular and he was in the area at the time concerned.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I need to read up on all of this, but I think you're right, that was the 'conclusive' evidence that showed that he had fired a gun I think.....ergo, he did the shewwwwdin'.

I seem to remember a jacket with a minuscule amount of gun powder/shot residue being the clincher?

That particular piece of evidence have been proven to be a big load of bollocks. is clothes weren't protected before they were examined and could have been contaminated at any time. I believe they were even handled by firearms officers.

Another piece of evidence was that he was celebrity obsessed and had pictures of Jill Dando. That now also appears to be untrue and the presecution today just said he was obsessed by celebrity on not her in particular.

All the prosecution have now is a few ill concieved idea about the sort of person who could have committed the crime, a person who fits the profile they have made up and no evidence apart from what have turned out to be a couple of very dodgy ids of him in the vague area (i.e. were he lives) at the time of the attack.

I seem to remember a jacket with a minuscule amount of gun powder/shot residue being the clincher?

Didn't the police fail to follow proper procedure leading to the real possibility it had been contaminated.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Seems like they just picked up the local village idiot on the off chance.

Aye seemingly so. The views of some people at the time and since seem to indicate that the killing had all the hallmarks of a 'professional hit', but they dragged in the local loon on very little evidence by the look of it.

Guest PaddyBerger15
All I remember is:

(1) The killing had all the hallmarks of the work of a professional hitman

(2) The plod were under huge media preassure to solve the crime quickly

(3) A man with a 'relaxed brain' got sent down.

You should be a Defending QC Soldier.

Seems like they just picked up the local village idiot on the off chance.

Have you seen the footage of the police intertviews with him? The little freak has definitely done something, although it may well not be this. He seriously gives me the creeps, he's a proper oddball. Reminds me of that other famously possibly not guilty gentleman, Colin Stagg.

There's far too many of their kind going around being weird at people. Cage them all I say - parade your normality or face the consequences.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Have you seen the footage of the police intertviews with him? The little freak has definitely done something, although it may well not be this. He seriously gives me the creeps, he's a proper oddball. Reminds me of that other famously possibly not guilty gentleman, Colin Stagg.

There's far too many of their kind going around being weird at people. Cage them all I say - parade your normality or face the consequences.

So its a 'black cap' verdict from RR then.

Funny you should mention him because I always think of Colin Stagg when I think of this case. They were both similar in that they were both convicted purely on circumstantial evidence. In each case I remember being shocked at the guilty verdicts given the lack of evidence.

Whether it's right or wrong, and whether either of them are guilty or not is quite irrelevant. Unless they have proof of guilt, they should be found not guilty.

Guest PaddyBerger15

Colin Stagg....remind me, was he the Wimbledon Common case? Accused of killing that blond girl and one of her kids? Or have I got the wrong one?

Guest PaddyBerger15
Yeah, but it was just the girl he killed. She had her young son with her but he was unharmed.

Ah right, cheers. I think I'm merging my killers here....who was the one who killed a mother and one of her kids and one little 'un survived then? Wasn't one of the surviving kids called Megan?

Ah right, cheers. I think I'm merging my killers here....who was the one who killed a mother and one of her kids and one little 'un survived then? Wasn't one of the surviving kids called Megan?

You're thinking about Michael Stone. The girl who survived was Josie Russel. Never get your phychos mixed up.

Yeah, that was Michael Stone, and the murders were in Kent. I saw the surviving girl a few years ago in Bedgellert with her Dad. She is stunningly beautiful. Very sad case.

I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here.

Yeah, that was Michael Stone, and the murders were in Kent. I saw the surviving girl a few years ago in Bedgellert with her Dad. She is stunningly beautiful. Very sad case.

I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here.

Was going to comment on Josie Russells, ahem blossoming. Not sure it was appropriate :lol:

Guest PaddyBerger15

Michael Stone, thats the jockey. Colin Stagg was accused of killing Rachael Nickel on Wimbledon Common. Got it now.

Whats the crack with Stagg, he was either acquitted after a retrial or the verdict was over turned wasn't it?

Guest PaddyBerger15
Was going to comment on Josie Russells, ahem blossoming. Not sure it was appropriate :lol:

Big norks then?

Michael Stone, thats the jockey. Colin Stagg was accused of killing Rachael Nickel on Wimbledon Common. Got it now.

Whats the crack with Stagg, he was either acquitted after a retrial or the verdict was over turned wasn't it?

Yeah, I think someone else is on remand awaiting trial for it now.