You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Erythromycin has been a very naughty boy.

When I left my first corporate job, I’d recently been switched to said antibiotic. The haul I had were small, white and round with ‘e’ stamped on them.

After I was given a little leaving presentation and some gifts, I tossed a pre-prepared money bag of them on the table and told my now ex-colleagues to dig in as it would liven them all up a bit.

An enjoyable moment of arse-clenching awkwardness to preside over, when consequences for such things were still of negligible concern.

I don’t need the key General, I’ll break in.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Started with a bit of pain in My left big toe on the way to  certain event in North West London yesterday. Having a few refreshments over the course of the day probably didn't help. Woke up in the middle of the night with cramp in the calf and pain in the opposite knee. The toe is painful, swollen and won't bend. Now I'm shuffling around like Stringy's grandad. 

Such a strange thing that just sounds like whinging until you have had it

A bit like cramp

Never had cramp till i was about 24/25 and fuck me it crippled me the first time, played in a 5 side game for a hour or so. Got home had a shower fell asleep for about a hour and woke to cramp

• 1 year later...
On 26/10/2017 at 11:41, JohnnyH said:

I’ve had it twice in the last 6 or so years. Both in the toe. The first time it lasted for about 6 days. I’ve never experienced pain like it. I’ve broken bones and that didn’t compare. Agony. No sleep, so by about day 4 I was a zombie in absolute agony. Horreandous.

The second time was about 2 years ago. I’d just arrived in New York for a few days work. The flare up lasted about 3 days. Someone told me blueberries were good so I ate my body weight in them that night. The next day it had toned right down? I’ve no idea if that was a coincidence or not, but I eat blueberries fairly regularly now. I drink loads of water anyway, so that helps.

I’ve had a few days where I feel a tiny bit of pain in the toe and I’ve panicked that another bout is coming, but it goes a few hours later. I dread the next hit, and as it’s been a few years I’m always nervous I’m due one.

A good friend of mine suffers badly with it. He’s active for a bloke in his late forties in that he plays lots of tennis and golf. He doesn’t drink too much barring the odd binge on a Friday and/or Saturday and barring a wee pot-belly isn’t carrying too much weight. But he gets hit twice a month, and that’s with medication. Terrible for the fella.

And it’s back. First time since 2015. It was sore Thursday and yesterday but properly flared up last night and now the toe is swollen. I’m on ibuprofen and it’s actually toned the pain right down so this attack is nothing like the 1st time I had it which was 6 days of constant agony. I’m terrified the pain is going to get worse tonight and I’ll end up with a major attack. But I know that’s not how it usually works and the intensity of the attack pretty much comes on immediately, so I’m crossing my fingers that this is as bad as it’ll get, which is still bloody sore when the ibuprofen wears off. 

I believe Colchicine is the gear to get but I assume it’s prescription only?

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Check out Allopurinol mate.  I'm on them full time for gout. I think its prescription though.

I’m just not sure I need drugs full time? I’ve only ever had 3 attacks over about 7-8 years including this one. I’m really run down at the moment with baby number 2 still not sleeping the night through yet at 10 months old. I’m eating poorly at the moment too, but not really the trigger foods. Im hoping this isn’t a week long attack. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

I’m just not sure I need drugs full time? I’ve only ever had 3 attacks over about 7-8 years including this one. I’m really run down at the moment with baby number 2 still not sleeping the night through yet at 10 months old. I’m eating poorly at the moment too, but not really the trigger foods. Im hoping this isn’t a week long attack. 

Yeah didn't think of that Johnny.  I would guess ibuprofen would cure it for you if you only get it now and again.  I've been on Allopurinol daily for 2 years now and I've not had an attack in that time. It's a bitch though, really agonisingly painful.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been getting pain in my both my big toes for a while now, feel ok sometimes but feels like they’re burning of a night especially when the blanket touches them. 

Had a blood test and I’ve got raised Urate levels so the GP reckons it’s Gout. It doesn’t sound exactly the same as what most of you are saying it’s like reading back through this thread though in that I’ve constantly had it for months (just in the big toes) and while it’s painful it’s certainly not as excruciating as some of you are saying. 

She wants to put me on Allopurinol but some of the side effects don’t sound great. What’s the verdict on it from those who have to take it? @Carvalho Diablo @KMD7

20 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’ve been getting pain in my both my big toes for a while now, feel ok sometimes but feels like they’re burning of a night especially when the blanket touches them. 

Had a blood test and I’ve got raised Urate levels so the GP reckons it’s Gout. It doesn’t sound exactly the same as what most of you are saying it’s like reading back through this thread though in that I’ve constantly had it for months (just in the big toes) and while it’s painful it’s certainly not as excruciating as some of you are saying. 

She wants to put me on Allopurinol but some of the side effects don’t sound great. What’s the verdict on it from those who have to take it? @Carvalho Diablo @KMD7

I've been taking Allopurinol for about 3 years now mate and have never suffered any side effects, and haven't had one gout attack since. Even after I had my transplant last year I was kept on them as a precaution and have been fine. It's worth a go mate. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Side effects? What side effects?

The only side effects Allopurinol has on me is that I no longer want to cut my toes off with a rusty saw.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Side effects? What side effects?

The only side effects Allopurinol has on me is that I no longer want to cut my toes off with a rusty saw.

Rashes and some mad skin problem I read. NHS site also said it can cause serious issues if you stop taking it but didn’t go into further detail. So long as your skin isn’t sloughing off I’ll probably give it a go. 

42 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Rashes and some mad skin problem I read. NHS site also said it can cause serious issues if you stop taking it but didn’t go into further detail. So long as your skin isn’t sloughing off I’ll probably give it a go. 

Allopurinol is a lifetime prescription, only cease taking it when in the middle of a gout attack because it actually makes it even worse!

Also, you should be able to get extended sickness trigger points from public sector employers because gout is classed as a lifelong disability.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Woke this morning with what felt like someone had dropped a sledgehammer on my big toe.  Had a phone consultation with my Doc and he reckons it's gout, got to have a blood test in two weeks to confirm and has prescribed naproxen in the mean time - taken the first one and it has done absolutely fuck all.  What a load of fucking bollocks.

42 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Woke this morning with what felt like someone had dropped a sledgehammer on my big toe.  Had a phone consultation with my Doc and he reckons it's gout, got to have a blood test in two weeks to confirm and has prescribed naproxen in the mean time - taken the first one and it has done absolutely fuck all.  What a load of fucking bollocks.

I feel your pain mate. Hang in there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Naproxen often takes a few doses before it really kicks in. As Carvalho says, hang on in there, and give it a chance. Also, insist on getting Omeprazole or an equivalent PPI as it can really fuck up your stomach, and always take it after you've eaten.

Edit- should add a disclaimer. I don't have gout, but have been taking Naproxen for several years for the inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis. It's really helped.

• Upvote 1

Gout is fucking horrible. Being male, I avoided the doctor at all costs, self-diagnosed on the internet, took loads of ibuprofen and sucked it up. After a few years of having it on and off, I’ve not had any for a good three or four years now.