You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you just said he was preferably going to be English? Last time I checked Xabi was Spanish.

I don't know what makes you think we are really backed into a corner, but we're not.

If we hold out for Barry & cannot agree a fee with Villa and the deal ultimately falls through who do we turn to? We have already practically pushed Alonso out the door and other clubs will be advanced in their negotiations for alternatives.

Because that would be weakening one area to strengthen another.

If we sell Alonso we have to buy a replacement.

How do our youth midfielders ever progress if you're not going to give them the opportunity, bar the odd run out? Rafa bought Plessis and Lucas so I'd hope he's some confidence in them. And at 28 I'd imagine in a couple of years time Gerrard 's marauding days will be over and he'll be looking to sit deeper.

We were linked with Michael Johnson a fair bit, speculation on my part but I'd imagine he could be our plan B if the Barry deal falls through.

You may be right, but having pushed Alonso out of the door already and not being flush with cash means that we haven't got a great negotiating position. clubs know that we are desperate and will hike up the fee.

If we hold out for Barry & cannot agree a fee with Villa and the deal ultimately falls through who do we turn to? We have already practically pushed Alonso out the door and other clubs will be advanced in their negotiations for alternatives.

If my auntie had bollocks, she'd be my uncle.

Don't give me if's.

Anyway, even IF we do hold out for a bit, there's ages left yet. Are you seriously trying to tell me that Alonso and Barry are the only two midfielders in the world who are suitable for our midfield? Are you Steve? You're doing yourself a disservice and making yourself look silly.

Have you got a summer holiday booked?

M.O.N. and Villa can just fuck off, ten mill max, your choice Barry 27 years old........tell that little twurp of a manager Your off now or in January, but your off.If not kiss good by to playing at the highest level.

M.O.N. is trying to do a Heskey on us again, Houllier offered 7mill we ended up paying 11 for the one season wonder.

If my auntie had bollocks, she'd be my uncle.

Don't give me if's.

Anyway, even IF we do hold out for a bit, there's ages left yet. Are you seriously trying to tell me that Alonso and Barry are the only two midfielders in the world who are suitable for our midfield? Are you Steve? You're doing yourself a disservice and making yourself look silly.

Have you got a summer holiday booked?

The crux of my argument is that by already negotiating with Juve to sell Alonso we (the club) have assumed that a deal to sign Barry will follow, and that is not necessarily the case. We should have at least tried to agree a fee with Villa for Barry before going so far down the road with negotiating to sell Alonso.

I think we'll get him for £15m or thereabouts. Villa are just delaying the inevitable.

I think that will be the end game myself and we will pay close to that. It was always going to be very close what we get for Xabi and pay for Barry, it is basically a straight swap. Time will tell how it works out but for a lot of us there does not seem much point.

I always hate calling decisions like this because it can be so easily a hit or miss but what makes it so hard is that it involves a player who you really rate and will miss, if he goes.

At times like this I think back to some of my thoughts.

When Harry signed I thought it was a wonder signing and Morientes was a given. Who the fuck was Sami and Carra might never quite make it. So who really fucken knows, not soft arse here that is for sure.

The crux of my argument is that by already negotiating with Juve to sell Alonso we (the club) have assumed that a deal to sign Barry will follow, and that is not necessarily the case. We should have at least tried to agree a fee with Villa for Barry before going so far down the road with negotiating to sell Alonso.

Oh yeah, because we've sold Alonso already haven't we.

How about if we agreed a fee, but then couldn't get rid of Alonso? Then you'd be bitching saying we should have been more proactive in arranging a transfer for Alonso in order to get the Barry transfer done.

I don't like stooping to personal insult, but considering what you wrote when you negged me, I feel comfortable in saying, don't be such a whining fuckwitted twat!

I have looked at some passing stats for Alonso, Gerrard and Barry for the last three seasons, make of it what you will.

Personally I think it would be absolute madness to sell Alonso to fund the inferior player Barry.

05/06:

Alonso vs Gerrard vs Barry

Total passes: 1876 vs 1573 vs 1247

Accurate passes: 1465 vs 1099 vs 704

Pass completion: 78,09% vs 69,86% vs 56,45%

Minutes played: 2569 mins vs 2729 mins vs 3041 mins

Minutes per pass: 1,36 min vs 1,73 min vs 2,43 min

Passes per game: 66,17 vs 52,02 vs 37,03

Successful passes per game: 51,42 vs 36,29 vs 20,83

06/07:

Total passes: 2023 vs 1756 vs 1414

Accurate passes: 1635 vs 1321 vs 978

Pass completion: 80,82% vs 75,22% vs 69,16%

Minutes played: 2571 mins vs 2993 mins vs 3120 mins

Minutes per pass: 1,27 min vs 1,70 min vs 2,20 min

Passes per game: 70,86 vs 52,94 vs 40,90

Successful passes per game: 57,32 vs 39,82 vs 28,21

07/08:

Total passes: 995 vs 1653 vs 1457

Accurate passes: 794 vs 1225 vs 1041

Pass completion: 79,79% vs 74,10% vs 71,74%

Minutes played: 1469 mins vs 2843 mins vs 3318 mins

Minutes per pass: 1,47 min vs 1,71 min vs 2,27 min

Passes per game: 61,22 vs 52,63 vs 39,64

Successful passes per game: 48,94 vs 38,79 vs 28,30

We were linked with Michael Johnson a fair bit, speculation on my part but I'd imagine he could be our plan B if the Barry deal falls through.

If Citeh want in a gaggle of 'star' names and are prepared to release him he'd be a great prospect. But he's in the Gerrard mould rather than a defensive mid.

Oh yeah, because we've sold Alonso already haven't we.

How about if we agreed a fee, but then couldn't get rid of Alonso? Then you'd be bitching saying we should have been more proactive in arranging a transfer for Alonso in order to get the Barry transfer done.

I don't like stooping to personal insult, but considering what you wrote when you negged me, I feel comfortable in saying, don't be such a whining fuckwitted twat!

It is common knowledge that the fee for Alonso is £14-15m, so straight away Villa know that we have that money to play with. It is hardly a great business strategy to be trying to sign an international midfielder for £10m, when we are rumoured to have negotiated the sale of Alonso for £14-15m and have all our cards on the table.

Alonso's agent has already admitted that Liverpool are pushing him out of the club, which again is poor on our part as if a deal falls through as the player will know that he isn't wanted.

Anyway Martin O'Neill has just admitted that it will be hard to keep Barry.

It is common knowledge that the fee for Alonso is £14-15m, so straight away Villa know that we have that money to play with. It is hardly a great business strategy to be trying to sign an international midfielder for £10m, when we are rumoured to have negotiated the sale of Alonso for £14-15m.

Alonso's agent has already admitted that Liverpool are pushing him out of the club, which again is poor on our part as if a deal falls through as the player will know that he isn't wanted.

Anyway Martin O'Neill has just admitted that it will be hard to keep Barry.

coco can add that to his C.V., M.O.N. can fuck off.

O'neill just been asked about it then on the beeb, said our offer was unnacceptable.

Twat

Why is he a twat?

He was very honest and basically said Barry will be a Liverpool player sooner or later.

If your club was losing their best and most influential player you'd want every penny you can get. Our revised bid will be accepted soon.

Right, we may have decided that we would rather have the money than Alonso. Wemay have independently of that decision have decided that Barry is top of our list of players to buy should we sell Alonso.

I don't know what you expect Steve. You seem to think transfers can be completed in this perfect little bubble where everything goes our way.

Now I think we all know that Parry has hardly been the master of transfer activity, but in this case, I so far think we have done about as well as could be expected.

How do our youth midfielders ever progress if you're not going to give them the opportunity, bar the odd run out? Rafa bought Plessis and Lucas so I'd hope he's some confidence in them. And at 28 I'd imagine in a couple of years time Gerrard 's marauding days will be over and he'll be looking to sit deeper.

So when we're struggling to dictate play in midfield because we're relying on kids for large parts of the season when they aren't ready for a full season (as is the case with Plessis) you won't be whinging about the lack of quality in midfield but praising rafa for giving the kids a chance?

The youngsters get their chance by showing they are good enough when given an oppertunity over an increasing number of games. You don't sell an international midfielder and throw him in because they've had one decent game in the premiership.

Why is he a twat?

He was very honest and basically said Barry will be a Liverpool player sooner or later.

If your club was losing their best and most influential player you'd want every penny you can get. Our revised bid will be accepted soon.

I know were your coming from I just don't like o'neill, never have done he's a narky little prick

Right, we may have decided that we would rather have the money than Alonso. Wemay have independently of that decision have decided that Barry is top of our list of players to buy should we sell Alonso.

I don't know what you expect Steve. You seem to think transfers can be completed in this perfect little bubble where everything goes our way.

Now I think we all know that Parry has hardly been the master of transfer activity, but in this case, I so far think we have done about as well as could be expected.

By negotiating to sell Alonso to Juve we have effectively broadcast to Villa that we have £14-15m to play with, thus making it difficult to agree a few for less than £15m. We should have at least attempted to agree a fee with Villa first. I'm confident that Barry will sign, but our bargaining position could have been improved had we dealt with the matter slightly differently. We revealed our hand to Villa too early to negotiate a better deal.