You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
they fucked you off as well?

must have been all that simplistic "world class" footy manager bollocks you were spouting.

Not so much that, more to do with personal circumstances, not that I should have justify myself to an a fucking handjob like yourself.

Aston Villa have confirmed that they have rejected an improved offer from Liverpool for midfielder Gareth Barry.

Liverpool have been chasing the Villa captain for some time and were thought to be close to agreeing a deal for the 27-year-old England international.

"The offer we received was a slight improvement on a previous bid," said an Aston Villa spokesman.

"But our position on the issue remains unchanged and Liverpool have been informed."

Barry's agent Alex Black told BBC Radio 5 Live that the player has told Villa manager Martin O'Neill of his desire to play Champions League football next season.

However, O'Neill has been critical of Liverpool's pursuit of Barry, who captained England for the first time and scored his first international goal during the recent friendly against Trinidad and Tobago.

Liverpool are keen to partner Barry in midfield with his England colleague Steven Gerrard and have declared their interest publicly, much to O'Neill's fury.

o.gif

villaman1986

Last month Barry said he was putting off all talks over his club future as he concentrated on his international duties with England.

The Reds are reported to have had an initial bid of £12m rejected for the player, who has been at the club for more than 10 years.

The latest bid is thought to be £13m, but Villa are said to be holding out for £18m, which could pose a problem for Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez.

The Anfield boss has admitted he is expecting to have a reduced transfer budget as a result of the feud between American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

"If we had a lot of money to spend it would obviously be better," Benitez said on the club website. "But if we don't, it doesn't matter.

"It is not about buying the most expensive players, it is about buying the right players and we can sell some players to get the others we need. We have the spine of the team and we just need others in other positions."

But former Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis says the club should hold out for the £15m they believe Barry is worth.

"If Gareth goes, and I fear he will as Steven Gerrard has been begging him to do so - then right now I wouldn't sell him for less than £15m," said Ellis. "If I was advising Liverpool, I would say 'dig deep' because he is such a good asset.' It will be a big loss to Villa and I would fight like hell to keep him - but of course I am no longer there."

Given it looks like Rafa is on a pretty tight budget an extra £4-5 million could be a huge difference. I think the idea was to replace Alonso with Barry without spending anything now it looks like Villa want an extra £5 million on what we'll get for Alonso.

If they continue to be stubborn and Rafa thinks we can do better than Alonso in that position you also have to start asking yourself what other players could we sign for £15 million that could replace Alonso and may possibly do a better job than Barry.

I could find you a whole list.

is anyone else wondering why we appear to be the only people in the bid for him?

There was talk of Chelsea and Arsenal (ithink) being after him but i think it's been clear for a while that he wants to join us. The other 2 would be wasting their time probably.

I think its getting to the point now where we have to offer them £14 million take it or leave it.

I rate Barry and think he would do a good job by covering the left centre but if its true that Villa want £18-20 million then it obviously is going to affect further transfers.