You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I also point out that Torres was £26m, until he wasn't. If you know what I mean.

May as well not debate any future transfers until the accounts are released then? I don't think anyone is complaining about the price because they know what it is. The key word is 'if'.

May as well not debate any future transfers until the accounts are released then? I don't think anyone is complaining about the price because they know what it is. The key word is 'if'.

Fucking hell you can be touchy at times. I was just making comment that everyone thought we'd paid more for Torres than we had. I wasn't saying that nobody should discuss it until we knew the exact fee. I was adding context. Chill Winston!

£15M is probably about what you'd expect for an England international , their captain and somebody that they desparately didn't want to lose. Let's be honest Randy Lerner's got a few bob so it's not like they're needing the money.

He's probably worth about £10m-£12m but if you add on the "english tax" and thge fact that they didn't want to sell then £15m seems about right. The other £3m add ons will be for show really- they'll be 200 appearances , winning the league or winning the Champions league - any of these things happen and he'll be worth it.

Another LFC fucked up transfer.

If you check the other threads there were quite a few on here trying to sell the others this great peice of business because we were getting 16m for Alonso and paying 13m for Barry ie making a 3m profit and swapping like for like now it transpires we will pay 19m for Barry and probably get 13m for Alonso now by my maths thats a 9m turn around in less than a month.

So were 9m worse off for a player who isnt even worthy of cleaning Xabi´s boots

19m when 20-25m get you Villa or defo Silva

The Gareth Barry saga may be reaching a finale but it may not the conclusion Aston Villa fans hoped for as Liverpool are reportedly preparing a bid of £15 million, plus a further £3 million in clauses.

Gareth Barry

The Villa captain’s agent, Alex Black, stated this week that Barry had informed Villa he desired Champions League football and Barry is said to have told Villa manager Martin O’Neill he wanted to leave during a telephone call.

That switched a green light for Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez to submit another bid after offers of £10 million and £12 million were rejected. Although Liverpool denied the bid yesterday, and Villa said there had been no change, it is understood the fresh bid is imminent.

The cash-only offer is believed to be closer to O’Neill’s own assessment of his captain’s worth, although some reports suggest Villa rate the player in the £20 million bracket. On Tuesday, Villa issued a statement confirming Barry’s wish was to leave.

Earlier this week, Liverpool announced losses of £33 million for last season and Benitez will not have the funds to bring in the players that will turn them from top-four finishers to genuine title contenders. The move for Barry will be financed by the sale of Xabi Alonso to Juventus.

Alonso has been given permission to move to the Turin giants, who are likely to pay the £16 million price in instalments.

In contrast, under chairman Randy Lerner and manager O’Neill, Villa are the Premiership club making the biggest strides and while O’Neill has been realistic enough to state that they are probably not top-four contenders at present, Villa have the potential to make a serious challenge in the next few years.

Benitez has made it repeatedly known that he is a big admirer of Barry, who has become an England regular. To reinforce his growing reputation, he scored his first goal for his country and wore the captain’s armband during the recent trip to Trinidad and Tobago.

Liverpool captain Steve Gerrard has also repeatedly voiced his opinion by stating he would love to team up with Barry at the heart of the Liverpool midfield.

Gerrard said recently: “Gareth will improve Liverpool. We can’t be disrespectful to Villa. He is still their player and we will see what happens. Naturally, they are going to try and keep hold of him, and rightly so because he is one of their star men.

"He has been a fantastic servant for them over many years. But, from a biased point of view, I want Gareth to become a Liverpool player. I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Gareth will certainly make us stronger.”

The completion of Barry’s move to Anfield will bring to a close a protracted period of speculation that has tested the patience of O’Neill and the Villa supporters, who have grown tired of the saga and Barry’s position as a terrace hero has diminished.

O’Neill has fought a valiant battle to keep his star player and initially launched a war of words with Benitez about Liverpool’s courting of Barry, and even accused the Merseysiders of showing a lack of respect.

However, the affair has proven once more that players have all the power and if they want to move, they can engineer a transfer.

If you check the other threads there were quite a few on here trying to sell the others this great peice of business because we were getting 16m for Alonso and paying 13m for Barry ie making a 3m profit and swapping like for like now it transpires we will pay 19m for Barry and probably get 13m for Alonso now by my maths thats a 9m turn around in less than a month.

Couldn't agree more.

Talk about childish hysterics on here. Rafa will ultimately be accountable for his decisions, but until then can we get behind him and get behind the club? Villa don't have to sell him and we have to pay top dollar to prise him away - and if we refused to do that, the exact same faces would be on here hysterically posting that we're bankrupt, smalltime, and have no ambition, etc.

The Gareth Barry saga may be reaching a finale but it may not the conclusion Aston Villa fans hoped for as Liverpool are reportedly preparing a bid of £15 million, plus a further £3 million in clauses.

Gareth Barry

The Villa captain’s agent, Alex Black, stated this week that Barry had informed Villa he desired Champions League football and Barry is said to have told Villa manager Martin O’Neill he wanted to leave during a telephone call.

That switched a green light for Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez to submit another bid after offers of £10 million and £12 million were rejected. Although Liverpool denied the bid yesterday, and Villa said there had been no change, it is understood the fresh bid is imminent.

The cash-only offer is believed to be closer to O’Neill’s own assessment of his captain’s worth, although some reports suggest Villa rate the player in the £20 million bracket. On Tuesday, Villa issued a statement confirming Barry’s wish was to leave.

Earlier this week, Liverpool announced losses of £33 million for last season and Benitez will not have the funds to bring in the players that will turn them from top-four finishers to genuine title contenders. The move for Barry will be financed by the sale of Xabi Alonso to Juventus.

Alonso has been given permission to move to the Turin giants, who are likely to pay the £16 million price in instalments.

In contrast, under chairman Randy Lerner and manager O’Neill, Villa are the Premiership club making the biggest strides and while O’Neill has been realistic enough to state that they are probably not top-four contenders at present, Villa have the potential to make a serious challenge in the next few years.

Benitez has made it repeatedly known that he is a big admirer of Barry, who has become an England regular. To reinforce his growing reputation, he scored his first goal for his country and wore the captain’s armband during the recent trip to Trinidad and Tobago.

Liverpool captain Steve Gerrard has also repeatedly voiced his opinion by stating he would love to team up with Barry at the heart of the Liverpool midfield.

Gerrard said recently: “Gareth will improve Liverpool. We can’t be disrespectful to Villa. He is still their player and we will see what happens. Naturally, they are going to try and keep hold of him, and rightly so because he is one of their star men.

"He has been a fantastic servant for them over many years. But, from a biased point of view, I want Gareth to become a Liverpool player. I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Gareth will certainly make us stronger.”

The completion of Barry’s move to Anfield will bring to a close a protracted period of speculation that has tested the patience of O’Neill and the Villa supporters, who have grown tired of the saga and Barry’s position as a terrace hero has diminished.

O’Neill has fought a valiant battle to keep his star player and initially launched a war of words with Benitez about Liverpool’s courting of Barry, and even accused the Merseysiders of showing a lack of respect.

However, the affair has proven once more that players have all the power and if they want to move, they can engineer a transfer.

If true its a 6m turnaround and not 9m I first posted but that turnaround alone pays for Doesna

We being arguing for weeks over a 1m for Dossena and then just cave in and lose 6m on Barry

Talk about childish hysterics on here. Rafa will ultimately be accountable for his decisions, but until then can we get behind him and get behind the club? Villa don't have to sell him and we have to pay top dollar to prise him away - and if we refused to do that, the exact same faces would be on here hysterically posting that we're bankrupt, smalltime, and have no ambition, etc.

Yes and No

Carrick and Hargreaves cost 18m, both no better than Barry IMO, you always have to pay top-whack for English players and that's why nobody bothers anymore.

I think he'll be a good signing, 15m plus no add ons would have been about right though. He'll be a good influence in the dressing room and a good foil for our attacking midfielders, he seems like a top lad and a grafter.

Debate the transfer by all means, Debate the players skill if you must but debate the 'alleged' transfer fee? Nah.................

Haha, this logic is ace.

the way I see it is this, rafa has bought (or in the process of buying) two attacking fullbacks with pace and their runs will need to be covered or we will be left exposed. I think rafa came to the conclusion xabi isn't mobile enough to do this so is selling and bringing in someone that is more mobile and more of a goal threat from set pieces.

since the very begining of rafa's reign central midfield has always been key and that is why he is prepared to pay the premium for barry's services.

is barry worth the money? if he makes a significant contribution to silverware then he will be worth it.

my personal opinion is I think it is a good piece of business, but then I'm please that rafa has identified the fullback positions so I'm not calling for rafa to hold back the barry money to use on wide midfeild because I think the wide midfielders we have on our books will do the business next year when properly supported by a high defensive line and attacking fullbacks.

barry will surprise many he has many strings in his bow and he is a leader and a winner, this time next year we'll be saying what an absolute steal he is I can almost gurantee it.