You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

I think at this stage we should take a step back and let Barry kick up a fuss. The facts are this is a player thats said he wants to leave and a player with 2 years left on his contract. If Villa dont sell him this season and dont get him to extend his contract their going to have an unhappy player on their books for a season that will be transferred for maybe half what they can get now.

Personally id be prepared to call their bluff, let Barry know we'll be back in for him, keep Alonso for another season and sign him next year for probably half what he'll cost now.

By being stubborn about it Villa are almost forcing Barry to be more vocal about his situation which may end up costing them money on this deal.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we're basically offering what we're getting for Alonso which is £14m but I reckon Juve will want to pay some of that in clauses and therefore we want to pay some of Barry in clauses amd that is the sticking point, unless O'Neill reckons we will go higher

"I think that if it was United or Chelsea considering lashing £18 million in Barry, we would all be laughing our tits off."

in fairness i was scratching my head when Manure bought only Carrick in 2006 for £18m after finishing only 1 point ahead of us, everyone said Xabi's the better player but they've won 2 leagues since so i guess they viewed it as a great deal

Point taken and well made but.....

Even when United spunked that money on Carrick (I still don't think he's worth anything near that) they still had money in the kitty.

Rafa is being asked to spunk £18,000,000 out of £20,000,000 kitty on another central midfielder, one who is no better that what we've already got.

If that isn't fucking madness on a grand scale I think maybe it's time for me to give up as I've obviously got a screw loose.

Carrick obviously played his part but they won the title because of offensive players which is exactly what we need this summer.

I didn't mind Barry's arrival since he is more than a decent midfield player but considering we have to money to spend, I can't understand why we are looking to spend £18m on him.

I would rather keep Alonso and look to strengthen the other areas that are in need of improvement.[/quote]

But as I understand our current financial situation, this isn't an option is it? We only have that money if we sell Alonso, and if we selll Alonso, we need somebody to replace him. If we keep him then we don't have the 14m we'll get for him to spend elsewhere.

Personally, I think that selling Alonso is only worthwhile if we both get a decent replacement for him and have enough a little left over to invest elsewhere. If Villa want too much for him to allow for this then we should move on to somebody else or re-think the plans.

Even when United spunked that money on Carrick (I still don't think he's worth anything near that) they still had money in the kitty.

Aye. That is the key. They didn't just buy Carrick and Hargreaves - they bought Tevez, Nani and Anderson to go with them and all 3 played a massive part in them winning the 2 titles and the european cup.

If Rafa has £50m to play with, yes, Barry's signing makes sense considering Alonso's loss of form. If he has only £20m to play with and if he wants to spend £18m on Barry, fuck that.

Carrick obviously played his part but they won the title because of offensive players which is exactly what we need this summer.

I didn't mind Barry's arrival since he is more than a decent midfield player but considering we have to money to spend, I can't understand why we are looking to spend £18m on him.

I would rather keep Alonso and look to strengthen the other areas that are in need of improvement.[/quote]

But as I understand our current financial situation, this isn't an option is it? We only have that money if we sell Alonso, and if we selll Alonso, we need somebody to replace him. If we keep him then we don't have the 14m we'll get for him to spend elsewhere.

Personally, I think that selling Alonso is only worthwhile if we both get a decent replacement for him and have enough a little left over to invest elsewhere. If Villa want too much for him to allow for this then we should move on to somebody else or re-think the plans.

How does it make sense?

Rafa sell's Alonso to raise money, and then buy's his replacement for more than what he sold Alonso for?

Im confused

Point taken and well made but.....

Rafa is being asked to spunk £18,000,000 out of £20,000,000 kitty on another central midfielder, one who is no better that what we've already got.

If that isn't fucking madness on a grand scale I think maybe it's time for me to give up as I've obviously got a screw loose.

they only bought Carrick that year for £18m i think (maybe they made some minor signings) that is all, maybe he had more of a kitty but he didnt want to spend it or was waiting for the right players, for example I remember they waited for Hargreaves for a year?

the difference is Rafa wouldnt wait for Hargreaves or defer his kitty he'd sign someone else to have the extra body

As it stands, it looks as though we will get £14m for Alonso but spend in excess of £15m for Barry.

Guest thePoet
they only bought Carrick that year for £18m i think (maybe they made some minor signings) that is all, maybe he had more of a kitty but he didnt want to spend it or was waiting for the right players, for example I remember they waited for Hargreaves for a year?

the difference is Rafa wouldnt wait for Hargreaves or defer his kitty he'd sign someone else to have the extra body

thats true- Nani/Anderson/Hargreaves/Tevez were all bought a year after Carrick, right?

Aye. That is the key. They not just bought Carrick and Hargreaves - they bought Tevez, Nani and Anderson to go with them and all 3 played a massive part in them winning the 2 titles and the european cup.

not they didn't. they only bought carrick that summer and won the league. their net spend was practically nil after sales.

Aye. That is the key. They not just bought Carrick and Hargreaves - they bought Tevez, Nani and Anderson to go with them and all 3 played a massive part in them winning the 2 titles and the european cup.

If Rafa has £50m to play with, yes, Barry's signing makes sense considering Alonso's loss of form. If he has only £20m to play with and if he wants to spend £18m on Barry, fuck that.

Tevez, Nani and Anderson came last year not the year before, they only signed Carrick in 06 after finishing 1 point ahead of us, they then went on to topping Chelski who just spent a fortune again

You know why Hargreaves/Nani/Anderson/Tevez played such an important part? They didn't lose large amounts of Quality across the pitch when they rotated.

The games that Ronaldo/Rooney didn't play, they lost. THey games that one of them didn't play... they didn't do very well.

We have the same situation with Torres/Gerrard. We can't afford to play without them(like Utd with R/R) but when we rotate Pennant for Kuyt or Voronin or Yossi for Babel or Crouch for Torres. We just can't cope with the dip in our overall skill.

We need a strong left sided cover(I still think Downing would be perfect for this) and a strong striker to play for Torres(Nemeth might be ready but he may not be strong enough yet) and someone who can produce on the right when Kuyt isn't there.

Babel can cover for Torres but this will further our need for left sided players. Yossi isn't great off the left. I wouldn't trust Pennant with a potato gun let alone one of our flanks' first team duties. etc. etc.

We need a stronger bench.

How does it make sense?

Rafa sell's Alonso to raise money, and then buy's his replacement for more than what he sold Alonso for?

Im confused

maybe he thinks barry is 'miles better' than alonso?

or he wouldn't bother would he.

In the summer of 2006, after buying Vidic in the January, they only added Carrick and Kuszczak and went onto win the league I'm not trying to imply that we will go onto win the league just that Ferguson brought in Hargreaves, Nani and Tevez and Anderson a full 12 months after buying Carrick, having won the league.

You know why Hargreaves/Nani/Anderson/Tevez played such an important part? They didn't lose large amounts of Quality across the pitch when they rotated.

The games that Ronaldo/Rooney didn't play, they lost. THey games that one of them didn't play... they didn't do very well.

what about the 06/07 season when they didnt have Hargreaves/Nani/Anderson/Tevez?

they still won the league

what does it matter if barry costs more than what we get for alonso as long as rafa gets the player he wants?

we're not accountants, and the transfer market is not an exact science. it's all about demand and what a club is prepared to pay.

if the specualtion is true obviously. might just be a lot of bluster about nothing and we get him for 14 million.

Because he cannot operate in our formation, he's slower than Sami, he has less strength than Yossi, more attitude than Pennant, less motivational drive than Anelka...

Need I go on? Having talent and skill does not a good footballer make.

:sniff:

No but it's a fucking good start!

And you must be having me on! More attitude than Pennant, less motivational drive than Anelka, are you fucking kidding me? Mind you, if I'd been treated like shite by the football management version of General Franco, and dropped for absolute toss like Kuyt and Voronin, I think my attitude would suffer!!

And I note, his attitude was that bad that on the odd occasions he actually got a game towards the end of the season, he usually fucking scored!

Dear me!!

How does it make sense?

Im confused

Sorry, I articulated my point very poorly there. What I was trying to say was that we should in no way sell Alonso if his replacement is not a) an improvement on him; and/or b) allows for a good quality, cheapish, replacement, and for some of the money made on Alonso to be spent strengthening other parts of the team

At first, this seemed what the Barry option might be. If Villa are wanting as much as is being reported, though, it makes no sense whatsoever, unless one sees Barry as an improvement on Alonso and worth the extra outlay.

Personally, I do not. If we sold Xabi for 16, picked up Barry for 10, and used the 6m to put towards another player who improves the first XI, then I can see the arguement for it.

This doesn't look very likely though, so I am hoping that the club withdraws from any further discussion unless Villa reduce their asking price.

As it stands, it looks as though we will get £14m for Alonso but spend in excess of £15m for Barry.

Well, one hopes that the club sees sense and moves on from looking at signing Gareth Barry.

I know his name is Mr Ross because he wrote in the fanzine!

I called our manager a daft little fuck because I think he is one!

That's really uncalled for. You may disapprove of his transfer policy/targets, but is there really any need for that?

Guest thePoet
you have to factor in wages to these thnigs aswell. 80 grand a weeek for example over 5 years or whatever, is another massive chunk of your outlay.

The wages of those going out and those coming in aren't going to be amazingly different. I hate when people mention wages when talking about transfer fee's.

you have to factor in wages to these thnigs aswell. 80 grand a week for example over 5 years or whatever, is another massive chunk of your outlay.

Of course, Mo, but people only care to see the transfer fee. Wages will be the biggest area of expenditure in a football club. Degen was free, Ballack was free. Massive difference in expenditure caused by wages.