You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you call a bread roll round your way?

She Knows It

Is it...?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Is it...?

• A "barm", you barmpot.
    • A "batch", even in the singular.
    • A "roll", what is says on the tin.
    • A "teacake", even though it's free from currants.
    • Other. Specify or die.

As for what I think you were driving at here, the circular bread product commonly used to make butties is a muffin, ffs. Note: Anyone considering a reply that includes the words "chocolate chips" or "blueberry" can fuck right off, right now; as David Bowie said, this is not America.

A barm cake and a bap are interchangeable terms for a substandard (or imitation) muffin which is comprised largely of air and an entirely innapropriate vehicle for a tasty filling. Some bakeries reportedly hire flatulent old men (often paid below minimum wage) to inflate their barm cakes, using a grotesque series of valves and tubing.

Additionally "barm cake" is fairly fond term meaning "idiot", such as a grandmother may use to describe a local man who was kicked in the head by a horse whilst still a child.

I really wouldn't try ordering a couple of tuna baps round here, I may get lucky or arrested depending on the shop.

What are you on about RoboRiise? A muffin is one of those small flat round affairs used for eggs benedict and the like, that look like this:

09_04_8---Bacon-and-Egg-Muffin_web.jpg?&k=Bacon+and+Egg+Muffin

That's indisputable surely?

A big round bap that looks a bit like this (excuse the filling, it isn't one of mine), is called a bap.

brown%20bap.jpg

I agree with you on the roll shaped one being called a roll.

The above is allegedly an English breakfast muffin (according to Mcdonalds, at least). I'm talking about Lancashire oven bottom muffins, the finest of all circular bread products and roughly twice the overall size of that dainty little thing.

The one you've identified as a bap is indeed a bap (a granary bap unless I'm much mistaken; wrong as wrong can be with bacon but I'll let that one slide for now) - another piss-poor, air-filled and generally weak-assed substitute for a muffin, although closer to one than a barm cake. It's broadly akin to a teacake, although obviously not of the chocolate/marshmallow or currant varieties.

Basically, you've got muffins in one camp and you've got a whole host of similar, yet inferior competitors in the other. And the shitty little Mcdonalds thing.

Oh just nail your colours to the baked foodstuff mast. Why does it need multiple names. I'm talking about a common or garden round, soft bread roll. None of your fancy nudgers or batons. Just pick a name.

Fuckstick. I forgot "Bap".

So you did. You Bap.

Baps are the ones you put burgers in, rolls are the ones you put hotdogs in, or p'raps those small bread rolls you get in posh restaurants before your starter. Barm? Cakes? Stottie? De fook? A batch is a lot of something, not a name for a type of bread.

The above is allegedly an English breakfast muffin (according to Mcdonalds, at least). I'm talking about Lancashire oven bottom muffins, the finest of all circular bread products and roughly twice the overall size of that dainty little thing.

The one you've identified as a bap is indeed a bap (a granary bap unless I'm much mistaken; wrong as wrong can be with bacon but I'll let that one slide for now) - another piss-poor, air-filled and generally weak-assed substitute for a muffin, although closer to one than a barm cake. It's broadly akin to a teacake, although obviously not of the chocolate/marshmallow or currant varieties.

Basically, you've got muffins in one camp and you've got a whole host of similar, yet inferior competitors in the other. And the shitty little Mcdonalds thing.

I am not aware of this Lancashire oven bottom muffin of which you speak. Sounds good though.

I am not aware of this Lancashire oven bottom muffin of which you speak. Sounds good though.

If I only had a digital camera worth shit and not the poxy £2.50 keyring one that my mate brought me back from his holiday, I'd post up a piccy. I may do anyway, depending on my boredom levels later.*

Essentially, the difference between one of these fine fellows and the various circular impostors is bread density - far smaller bubbles of air in the bread itself and also no crusty outer layer to speak of, almost like a duvet for your filling of choice. Only circular. And made of bread.

*Although if I do, some philistine will doubtless suggest it's a teacake, owing to a superficial visual similarity.

(Edit - I'm not too surprised they haven't reached Melbourne yet though - judging by this thread, they've barely scratched the surface of Merseyside...)

• 3 years later...

Since someone mentioned it on the Beans on a fry up thread Bruce started, it is a barm.

Hate it in our work all the people from the Wirral call it a batch. It is a fucking BARM!

Found this on Wikipedia so it must be correct :

Bread roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

■Batch, Coventry/Nuneaton/Wirral term , a large soft floured roll from Shropshire.

Though it did say this beneath it :

■Bin lid, a large round soft white or brown roll common in Merseyside.

Nudger is also a term I hear in Liverpool for a baguette type thing :

■Nudger, a long soft white or brown roll similar to a large finger roll common in Liverpool.