You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ever worked as a volunteer?

windass

I used to help out at a social club for teenagers and young adults with special needs. I loved that.

I ran a drop-in for local residents (sort of like a CAB type set-up) and was secretary of our Resident's Association.

I did volunteer work until fairly recently at a women's centre. I only stopped because I hadn't been well and had loads on. Every week I say I'm going to go back next week.

Our Dirkus did his Millennium Volunteer Award a few years back. He was all chuffed with himself when they told him the awards were being presented by a celebrity. We all went to the ceremony at the Marriott and looked on with hearts filled with pride and love, as he took his award off Thomas Gravesen. He shook his hand and everything. I was a witness. How I laughed.

Did 100 hours at Fazakerley Hospital to get an insight about nursing.

Decided at the end of it that nursing wasn't for me.

Was glad I did it though plus it looks good on your C.V.

Bloody community service. They should've thrown the key away you rascal!!

Yep. Took some unemployed yoofs climbing and potholing in Yorkshire many years ago with the Prince's Trust. Reason why they were unemployed is cause they were fucking scum. Never again.

i laughed at your comments.dont know why! :P

Did about 1000 hours of volunteer work at a retirement home when I was 17-18. Changing bed pans, serving food, chatting with the folks whose families had dumped them off, and only come and visit for their birthdays, if that. Some of the best days of my life were spent there. The stories they had we wonderful, and the look you'd get from them told you how important it was that you were there with them.

Samaritans for 6 months ( pretty much got booted out! ) and 2 mental health charities - 1 month and 2 months respectively ( I was a bit nuts ). Now working for the last one. All good.

Pretty much my line, i volunteered for a charity, working with mums who have Post Natal Depression and/or Puerpal Psychosis, that charity folded, and another was set up.

Love the job, but its bloody hard work mentally.

Did about 1000 hours of volunteer work at a retirement home when I was 17-18. Changing bed pans, serving food, chatting with the folks whose families had dumped them off, and only come and visit for their birthdays, if that. Some of the best days of my life were spent there. The stories they had we wonderful, and the look you'd get from them told you how important it was that you were there with them.

Fucking good on yer.

Good stuff lad. Hate the shit that happens in a lot of nursing homes. Getting better but still a long way to go in the UK before it's all at a reasonable standard. My mum volunteers in a hospice too. Top stuff. Major rep-rep for you sir!

My dad does it for the local Asian community, they all pretend they are in Politics, like a pretend Parliament where they vote an Executive Comittee etc. That's the highlight of the year, the rest of the year they help nobody and do fuck all.