You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rash, your agenda knows no bounds. Had you just called Gerrard a knobber for his quotes then fair do's however, you saw fit to shoehorn some pathetic attempt at stopping Barry joining Liverpool into the equation.

I've made no comment on Gerrard's interview, something you've obviously missed.

Anyway, fuck Lerner and fuck O'Neil.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Rafa told you that'll be his formation?

No, but judging by the inroads we've made using that formation, the progress we've made, the way that Rafa is looking to collect centre mids and fullbacks, I think it's easy to deduce that we will continue with it. There's more evidence to suggest that we will continue with 4-2-3-1 compared to a 4-4-2. Continue to moan away, it's a free world.

You're a braver man than me second-guessing Rafa. Btw, what am I moaning about?

If we were going back to 4-4-2 we'd probably need to buy a right winger , a left winger, two fullbacks and perhaps another striker. Pennant isn't good enough, Kewell has left (I know), Riise is probably gone too, as is Crouch. Whereas a 4-2-3-1 probably requires fewer and less costly recruits to make it work properly.

In reference to post #130 by Rashid.

I agree, but the signing of Degen (though uninspiring it may be), and the link to Dossena lead me to believe that Rafa is intending to stay with the formation that coincided with our best run of form...4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, whatever you want to call it. That's what I expect us to go with next season.

I agree. Would a £15m flank player or another centre mid advance us most? Imho the spine of the team is a good foundation already (another striker and fit Agger would be the cherry on top).

Bad state of affairs when we agree, maybe Villa will do us a favour and refuse to sell us Barry.

The thing is this summer there are a lot of quality wide or creative midfield players that could be bought for 15 to 20m

If we were going back to 4-4-2 we'd probably need to buy a right winger , a left winger, two fullbacks and perhaps another striker. Pennant isn't good enough, Kewell has left (I know), Riise is probably gone too, as is Crouch. Whereas a 4-2-3-1 probably requires fewer and less costly recruits to make it work properly.

I'm not saying he wont, I just dont understand some of the fixation with the word 'winger'. Ronaldo is often described thus, and was Mcmanaman, but that doesn't stop a manager deploying them whereever they can cause most damage.

Neither does Rafa strike me as the sort of planner that would seek a quick fix over one summer.

No, but judging by the inroads we've made using that formation, the progress we've made, the way that Rafa is looking to collect centre mids and fullbacks, I think it's easy to deduce that we will continue with it. There's more evidence to suggest that we will continue with 4-2-3-1 compared to a 4-4-2. Continue to moan away, it's a free world.

A player such as Ribery, Mancini or Quaresma would easily fit into Rafa´s new system and improve the team as well.

I can understand Rafa not wanting players like Quaresma or Mancini mainly for having concerns about them fighting for the team like Kuyt does. However players like Ashley Young would improve the team and you would know would fight for the team. those players are out there if Rafa wants them

I can understand Rafa not wanting players like Quaresma or Mancini mainly for having concerns about them fighting for the team like Kuyt does. However players like Ashley Young would improve the team and you would know would fight for the team. those players are out there if Rafa wants them

I rate Young but I don't think he will suit the 4-2-3-1 formation. He likes to stick to the byline and provide crosses.

I rate Young but I don't think he will suit the 4-2-3-1 formation. He likes to stick to the byline and provide crosses.

He's adapted his game recently to the point where O'neill is using him in a free-role. I think he could operate very well in any of the 3 attacking midfield positions.

The whole point here is some posters are trying to muddy the waters and say the reason Rafa doesnt want quality wide players is because of his new system and that blatantly not true as quality players can play in any system. Its the reverse of people arguing that Villa could play in our new system when its clear he is an out and out CF.

The bottom line is Rafa will be judged on his choices and if he doesnt address the issue of quality players upfront this summer he will probably pay for it with his job

Just to add under Mourinho Chelsea played a very similar system with Cole & Duff in the wide areas but didnt play as out and out wingers

The whole point here is some posters are trying to muddy the waters and say the reason Rafa doesnt want quality wide players is because of his new system and that blatantly not true as quality players can play in any system. Its the reverse of people arguing that Villa could play in our new system when its clear he is an out and out CF.

The bottom line is Rafa will be judged on his choices and if he doesnt address the issue of quality players upfront this summer he will probably pay for it with his job

Just to add under Mourinho Chelsea played a very similar system with Cole & Duff in the wide areas but didnt play as out and out wingers

You just did the exact same thing, by suggesting that Villa could only play in Torres' position. Of all the players people have complained about over the last 2 weeks, Villa has the most quality. So I see no reason why he couldn't adapt to play in either the left or right forward positions.

By the way, you make an excellent point about Chelsea, then ruin it by pointing out Cole, who is not even close to an out an out winger, which has been discussed several times on this board.

I very much doubt that anyone disagrees. The question is, "Is Xabi moe effective in the EPL?" Alas, I think not :(

Is Barry? If the answer is no, why aren't we after Ashley Young. He's the one we should be signing from Villa, even if it would cost us £20 million. He's a class player for the future and a lot better an option than Barry.

You just did the exact same thing, by suggesting that Villa could only play in Torres' position. Of all the players people have complained about over the last 2 weeks, Villa has the most quality. So I see no reason why he couldn't adapt to play in either the left or right forward positions.

By the way, you make an excellent point about Chelsea, then ruin it by pointing out Cole, who is not even close to an out an out winger, which has been discussed several times on this board.

Thats the point I was trying to make though

Those are the points I am trying to make though in that you cant argue for Villa to be played in a wide position instead of a stiker then dismiss the idea of wide players signing because they dont fit the new system and Cole is an example of the other way round.

These posters go on about not been wingers but Babel holds a fairly wide position in the new system and then cuts inside etc etc

This is all a rather pointless argument the bottom line is we need to be investing in Quality in the wide areas and quality players can play in any system.