You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brighter than many reds too:

"For what its worth Liverpool have a good spine to their team which is better than ours but down both flanks they are mediocre."

View topic - Speculation: The Barry Transfer Saga (merged) :: VillaTalk ::

Brighter than many reds too:

"For what its worth Liverpool have a good spine to their team which is better than ours but down both flanks they are mediocre."

View topic - Speculation: The Barry Transfer Saga (merged) :: VillaTalk ::

Spot on. Which is why I don't see why we are chasing Barry, unless he's meant to be a left winger or maybe left back, while Dossena may be our back up if the Barry deal doesn't go through.

To my mind Xabi Alonso is a better player than Gareth Barry, and even if Benitez thinks he isn't there's surely nothing in it so what on Earth's the point? Is he ever going to address the problems on our flanks? this is were we need to focus all our efforts on improving imo.

To my mind Xabi Alonso is a better player than Gareth Barry, and even if Benitez thinks he isn't there's surely nothing in it so what on Earth's the point? Is he ever going to address the problems on our flanks? this is were we need to focus all our efforts on improving imo.

Exactly buy a cheap option like Albelda or Stankovic for CM and buy quality for the flanks, If Rafa fucks up this summer it will be his last.

I very much doubt that anyone disagrees. The question is, "Is Xabi moe effective in the EPL?" Alas, I think not :(

a lot of them reckon we can't afford him and he will go for 18-20m +

Could you imagine the fans on here if John Terry came out and said the same thing about Gerrard

they did didn't they? I seem to remember a lot of "I can play with Gerrard" declarations from Lampard

Exactly buy a cheap option like Albelda or Stankovic for CM and buy quality for the flanks, If Rafa fucks up this summer it will be his last.

Seems to me that Rafa has decided that, primarily, the width will come from the FBs hence Dossena and Degen being the first players he has been going after.

Given that I think the only other widish play he's been looking at is Riera and I think he'll be deployed all along the 3 of the 4231.

Be real, with the money available it would be alomost impossible for us to keep up with Manure and Chelski.

Deluded twats. I hate Villa.

Think there reacting pretty well to be honest

Some us have very short memories of what we went through with Gerrard and Chelsea Bollox

Gerrards comments were totally out of order and Villa should report us to the FA, I would if I were them

Some us have very short memories of what we went through with Gerrard and Chelsea Bollox

Gerrards comments were totally out of order and Villa should report us to the FA, I would if I were them

Bit extreme, given Fergie got off with what he did. But I know where you are coming from and SG needs to learn when to shut his mouth.

controversial but i generally agree, the failure to buy effective wide players over his tenure will cost him dearly unless Babel explodes

They've reacted fairly well to the comments from Gerrard to be fair to them, but that's not why I was calling them deluded. Alot of the posters on Villa talk seem to think that they will finish ahead of us next season. Ignoring the fact that they finished closer to the bottom of the table than us.

The comments from Gerrard are a disgrace and similiar to what we lambasted Lampard for 4 years ago. Gerrard obviously knows Barry wants to come as he is good mates with him and he even alluded to Barry making the "first team stronger" so he is desperate for his mate to join. Which is all fair enough but it is disrespectful to Villa and to their fans. If I was Randy Lerner and I had his money, I'd tell Barry he can go but not to Liverpool due to the way LFC have behaved.

Fuck off Villa. Your deluded long ball twunt of a manager brought this into the public domain, not us. Everything has gone on from there.

I find this really, really hard to say, because Xabi Alonso is a fantastic footballer, and one of my favourite players, but as has been said, when was the last time you came out of a game thinking "Alonso was untouchable out there?"

It has to be against the shite when Gerrard got sent off. He did play very well against Arsenal in the league at Anfield this season (there were actually two teams on the pitch, despite the media hype) before he went off with his metatarsel again. He's such a good player but I'm starting to think we'd be better off with Barry.

It's not a forward step if we do replace Xabi with Barry, but it sure ain't a backward step either.

Your wish would be granted then wouldn't it softlad?

REP for use of the word "softlad" one of my all time favourite put downs.

I agree. Would a £15m flank player or another centre mid advance us most? Imho the spine of the team is a good foundation already (another striker and fit Agger would be the cherry on top).

It's not a forward step if we do replace Xabi with Barry, but it sure ain't a backward step either.

100% correct mate. Which is why I'd prefer to keep Alonso so the team remains stable. Or else with half the team changed we will be going on about players settling down and us being out of the league title race by October while they do so.

If Alonso does go though then Barry would be a good replacement.

Why blow a shed load of money a winger when they won't be used much in a 4-2-3-1? If we were going to adopt 4-4-2 then I would be shouting really loudly for a winger but with a 4-2-3-1 it can use inside forwards or players of the Rosicky and Hleb mould, neither of which are wingers in the conventional sense. As long as the fullbacks we buy are top notch, we should be okay. If we had money splashing around then I'd like us to look for a better player than Dirk and a sub striker. Any player we do buy for the right and left will probably get games but I don't think they will play most games but when Rafa shakes things up here and there, like he does.

Why blow a shed load of money a winger when they won't be used much in a 4-2-3-1? If we were going to adopt 4-4-2 then I would be shouting really loudly for a winger but with a 4-2-3-1 it can use inside forwards or players of the Rosicky and Hleb mould, neither of which are wingers in the conventional sense. As long as the fullbacks we buy are top notch, we should be okay. If we had money splashing around then I'd like us to look for a better player than Dirk and a sub striker. Any player we do buy for the right and left will probably get games but I don't think they will play most games but when Rafa shakes things up here and there, like he does.

I don't think it's the winger people are crying fro Dave, I think every one wants a matchwinner who is an attacking midfield player. Be that Ronaldhino, Deco, Quaresma, or Milner.