You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can always remember coming out of mass as a kid with Nanny Crowley and there being a woman with a collection plate for SPUC. 

My Nan refused to put a penny in and tersely said “and you should know better”. 

It always stuck with me as that side of the family were strict Irish Catholic’s and I’d never seen her not put at least a few quid in even back in the mid 80’s when a few quid was actually worth something.  

• 2 weeks later...

We’re going to end up going down the route of the US (like we do in a lot of things) unless some measures are brought in to stop things like this now. 

It’s an issue that isn’t radicalised over here now but it could easily be. Same as Brexit, hardly anyone was arsed or mentioned the EU ten years ago apart from a fringe of Tory headbangers and the Express and Mail and now it dominates discourse. The stuff above can do the same with abortion. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 14:51, Seasons said:

Screenshot_20191011-135456_Photos.jpg

These are getting too comfortable here now. 

www.facebook.com/CentreForBioEthicalReformUK/posts/10156723504121134

Wrote to the council about this and finally got a response: 

"I can confirm that Liverpool City Council are aware of the campaign group Centre for Bio Ethical Reform UK (CBR UK) and the views and feelings held by some people in respect of their recent activities. The City Council have reviewed this matter in an attempt to ascertain the legality of the demonstration and to answer the question as to what, if any, action the Liverpool City Council could take to prevent a recurrence. I have also liaised with Merseyside Police regarding this matter.

With regards to the activities carried out in the city centre I am aware that prior to the demonstrations the organisation CBR UK wrote to Merseyside Police informing them that they 'will be holding a public educational display in Liverpool City Centre and our work involves educating the public about what abortion does to the unborn child. We typically show photographs of living and aborted embryos and foetuses and peacefully engage the public in conversation if they are willing.'  The notifications ask that Merseyside Police abide by its obligation to allow their lawful protest and further outlined how they intended to conduct themselves and carry out the protest.

The demonstrations take the form of displaying images (photographs) in order to 'educate' the public. I understand that there is no amplification of sound and nor was there any obstruction of the highway. I also understand that the group CBR UK place notification boards on the approaches to the display notifying people of the presence of the images.

Firstly, this organisation would appear to be carrying out a lawful demonstration, exercising their right to freedom of expression and freedom of assembly and association under Articles 10 and 11 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

It would appear that they have adopted this approach in other towns and cities. In their notifications to Merseyside Police they make reference to a case brought against them by Sussex Police following a number of similar demonstrations in Brighton. In this case two persons were arrested and appeared before Brighton Magistrates Court for the offence of displaying any writing, sign or other visible representation which was threatening, abusive or insulting within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby, contrary to Section 5(1) and (6) of the Public Order Act 1986. For this offence to be committed it is necessary for the prosecution to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, both aspects of the offence namely that the material displayed was 'threatening, abusive or insulting' and that a person who hears or sees it 'is likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress'.

After a three day trial in which a number of people gave evidence of how they were upset and distressed by the images displayed in Brighton the District Judge found the defendants 'Not Guilty' of the offence. In his decision the District Judge made reference to and took guidance from the case of Brutus v Cozens (1973) that decided the term 'insulting' is to be given its ordinary meaning with the same approach being taken in respect of the words 'threatening' and 'abusive'. Thus whilst the District Judge accepted that witnesses were upset and distressed he was not satisfied that the images were 'threatening, abusive or insulting'.

As a consequence of this decision CBR UK brought a civil claim against Sussex Police that led to the Royal Courts of Justice finding against Sussex Police and ordering the Chief Constable to pay £40,000 in compensation to CBR UK, together with legal costs. CBR UK rely on this case and the subsequent successful civil claim. They produce it to any relevant person.

As previously stated the organisation has a right to protest and assemble and is exercising those rights. As it is their legal right, albeit qualified ones, they are able to exercise them on public spaces and we, as the City Council, have no power to impose any conditions. This can only be done by a senior police officer and only in exceptional circumstances.

In respect of the more targetted demonstrations that may be held at certain locations outside of the city centre it is my understanding that Merseyside Police adopt a different approach to policing them and do have a police presence whilst still facilitating the groups rights to freedom of assembly and expression.

In summary, the demonstration, no matter however distasteful some persons may find it, would appear to be lawful. Whilst I fully understand and sympathise with people who have alternative views to CBR UK and their supporters there is very little, if anything, that Liverpool City Council can legitimately do.

However, this position is one that is constantly under review and suffice it to say that the City Council will continue to liaise with Merseyside Police and consider all possible options at its disposal when dealing with similar matters in the future.

I apologise for the lengthy email but felt it necessary to be able to demonstrate to you the difficulties faced by the City Council in dealing with this issue. Once again, thank you for your enquiry to Liverpool City Council.

I trust this information is of assistance to you, however if you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to progress your complaint to Stage 2 of the Have Your Say Process. You must detail in writing why you remain dissatisfied to the Service Improvement Manager, at Cunard Building, Pier Head, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1DS or be email to commserviceaccess@liverpool.gov.uk"

• Upvote 1