You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well, who are you leaning about at the moment. In your materials, what examples are they giving you.

Rousseau and Iasiah Berlin, as well as others like Hobbes and Locke, are both prominent in this area. Are you brushing over social contract theory or just women's rights in relation to positive liberty and the Dec. of human rights?

You said 'With reference to examples' - it is hard to reference the examples they've given without seeing or knowing what examples they've given.

I've heard of Hobbes and Locke, thats about it.

This lesson is dull as anything if i didn't plan on failing one of the other modules i'd bail on this one. Thats how much commitment i've got for this course. Aceness.

The examples are what we've got to find, i think. I assumed he was on about the womens movement and the view political philosophers started with to how women have eventually got the right to vote and on equal terms. Adding a bit of waffle about how women voting isn't a universal thing and so on?

I don't understand much of the subject anyway and to make it worse I've had a chest infection for 4 weeks and only managed one lesson in this time, wonderful.

Ok where the fuck are my replies going?

3rd time....

Well, who are you leaning about at the moment. In your materials, what examples are they giving you.

Rousseau and Iasiah Berlin, as well as others like Hobbes and Locke, are both prominent in this area. Are you brushing over social contract theory or just women's rights in relation to positive liberty and the Dec. of human rights?

You said 'With reference to examples' - it is hard to reference the examples they've given without seeing or knowing what examples they've given.

This lesson is dull as anything if i didn't plan on failing one of the other modules i'd bail on this one. Thats how much commitment i've got for this course. Aceness.

The examples are what we've got to find, i think. I assumed he was on about the womens movement and the view political philosophers started with to how women have eventually got the right to vote and on equal terms. Adding a bit of waffle about how women voting isn't a universal thing and so on?

I don't understand much of the subject anyway and to make it worse I've had a chest infection for 4 weeks and only managed one lesson in this time, wonderful.

I'm so proud of the fact that my contribution to this thread ended it back then.

Melons; you should google Confucius - the transmitter who invented nothing.

"If the people be led by laws, and uniformity sought to be given them by punishments, they will try to avoid the punishment, but have no sense of shame. If they be led by virtue, and uniformity sought to be given them by the rules of propriety, they will have the sense of the shame, and moreover will become good."

Or one of my favourite quotes:

知錯能改,善莫大焉

I actually had that last one as one of my own living rules long before I knew he had already thought that. It's weird when you discover one of your "own" ideas like that is actually over 2500 years old.

Edit; forgot to mention he was the proponent of conservatism.

Edited by kop

Guest PurpleNose
Ok where the fuck are my replies going?

3rd time....

That's a hell of a chest infection!

Mind, you've got a hell of a chest...

That's a hell of a chest infection!

Mind, you've got a hell of a chest...

Touché

It's a viral thing, no antibiotics non of the cough meds don't work and taste like crap 6-12 weeks to run its course apparently.

I've also decided that pholcodine has an almost identical smell as the dentist gas from when i was a kid.

• 1 year later...
Sorry, be forewarned: I've been out on the booze since I last posted.

But I'm generally interested in left-wing political thought. I teach anarchism, Marxism, social ecology, etc.

I wouldn't know what to recommend. Depends what you're interested in. But if you want a couple of really good, solid, accessible (but in no way patronizing) introductions to the field, I recommend Jonathan Wolff Amazon.co.uk: An Introduction to Political Philosophy: Jonathan Wolff: Books and David Miller Amazon.co.uk: Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions): David Miller: Books.

For a top notch anthology of basic writings, go for Rosen and Wolff []Amazon.co.uk: Political Thought (Oxford Readers): Michael Rosen, Jonathan Wolff: Books.

If you want something more specific, let me know.

Nice one, i was wanting some recommenations myself.

I'd completely forgotten about this thread, though I find the word-count-failure story amusing.

But here's a more recent book that I highly recommend, for those who're interested in political philosophy: Political Philosophy Fundamentals of Philosophy Series: Amazon.co.uk: A. John Simmons: Books It's a little more challenging than the previous ones I mentioned (not verbose or obscure or whatever; just a little more sophisticated), but extremely good.

I'd completely forgotten about this thread, though I find the word-count-failure story amusing.

Bloody hell melons!

university_challenge.JPG

Tell me about it, what's infuriating (if i'd of give a shit at the time, it was only year one) is that i'd nailed it, with a massively feminist aspect non the less. He picked it up, checked out the word count and failed it, arse. Still the other module he took me for has just earned me massive brownie points with the contemporary debate lecturer.

• 1 year later...

Not trying to be a hater here but those first answers of FlatIron to Spy Bee on page 1 are pretty weak for someone opening a thread and inviting philosophical questions.

Ironically, he will most likely never read this/respond because so much time has flown by. Damn you, A-theory!

You won't find an "agreed upon" answer to that, other than the literal meaning which is "love of wisdom", but doesn't tell you much, really.

I like the three Kantian questions as a quasi definition. They should give everybody a basic idea of what philosophy is about. He says P. should try to give answers to the questions 1. What can we know? 2. What ought we to do? 3. What may we hope? (I replaced "I" with "we" here...)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Justice-Whats-Right-Thing-Do/dp/0141041331

I read this a little while back (and I was too lazy to put it on the GF Book Thread). It's a very easy to read guide to moral philosophy, which doesn't offer any simple answers and doesn't disappear up its own abstractions (the way I often fear that philosophy can).

I'd recommend it to anyone, because it's relevant to everyone.

"I should have"

Now we know the real reason you failed.

Meh, my last two essay results have been an A+ and an A-. If only i'd have known I needed to put a little bit of effort in eh?

That said, as a result of the above i just keep thinking i can throw any old shit in for the other half of those modules and still pass them... Win!

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant

Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar

Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya'

'Bout the raising of the wrist.

SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,

On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away;

Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,

Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: "I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;

A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!

• Upvote 1