You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everyone knows Country Music sucks.

Flying Pig

Steve Earle is one of my favourite artists & his album ' Washington Square Serenade' from a few years back is probably in my top 5 of all time.

Add in the fact that he has married 7 times, done jail time, appeared in and provided tunes in 'The Wire', named his first son after Townes Van Zandt & has been one of the most outspoken politically left-wing musicians in the USA for many years ( raising FBI interest at stages ) and you suspect he might be a interesting guy to have a pint with.

A legend just for the "I'll stand on Dylans coffee table and tell him that" comment about Townes Van Zandts being the better songwriter.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really good Bruce.

Van Zandt is phenomenal! Such a waste of talent, well if spending your life chasing wine, women and song could be considered a waste?

The documentary mentioned above is fantastic and explains a lot of his flaws and why he never really 'made it'.

He lived in Stockport for a short while as well after touring local pubs and just stayed, that's the kind of person he was.

Van Zandt is phenomenal! Such a waste of talent, well if spending your life chasing wine, women and song could be considered a waste?

The documentary mentioned above is fantastic and explains a lot of his flaws and why he never really 'made it'.

He lived in Stockport for a short while as well after touring local pubs and just stayed, that's the kind of person he was.

Will check that documentary out. He lived the life alright didn't he? Sad that he died so young. Would make a great move some day don't ya think?

[YOUTUBE]l-ij_iTQt2w[/YOUTUBE]

Great singer songwriter

Johnny Cash did a great cover of that on one of his American Recordings.

I've always liked a bit of Country - you'll find a lot of crap in the genre but the good stuff is really good. Love a bit of Western too.

A country cover by the countries greatest ever band - good ole boys makin noise.

WARNING - Not for the faint of heart or those that think Country comes in a cowboy hat. Note: Chet Atkins made a special trip to see this.

[YOUTUBE]1u8UmdH_CM4[/YOUTUBE]

Jumping out from the Country bag - one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Introduced by the great Delbert McClinton.

[YOUTUBE]YICM0VIguSg[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry for hijacking this thread but it is in my blood, this guy helped me alot when I was younger - I promise this will be my last.

First clip summarizes the overall tenor of the opinions on here I think - you only need to see the first 55 seconds and the interviewer is clueless the whole time.

[YOUTUBE]Xu_JFPVzITM[/YOUTUBE]

And you thought they were kidding.

[YOUTUBE]OdrgXsluCQM[/YOUTUBE]

If you want to check out one of the greatest unheard of band of the sixties - Big Al's first band.

WARNING: not at all country.

[YOUTUBE]hc4hIC_PhaY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by TheHowieLama

From my posts in here it would seem I like the mainstream country - but I have been a fan for a few years of an alternative country (as well as other genres) band called Lambchop. Always seem to get rave reviews in the USA but not met many fans of them over there. Here's some tunes, would love to see them in the UK:

[YOUTUBE]r3dCGeuOfE0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZVk5KalTrwU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HOy8_Dw5xW8[/YOUTUBE]