You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

Pennant is 25, not 27.

I actually prefer Bentley and Pennant to Milner, although i think he's pretty good. He comes across as a Rafa type signing, so you never know. He's got that grafter attitude that Benitez likes, and that's not a subtle way of saying no ability - i think he's decent.

Sorry about that thought Pennant was older than he actually is, guess it shows how long hes been around. Milner is similar in that he first played in the PL at a very young age and hes been around for 6 years yet hes still only 22. Think he has the record number of U21 caps.

Still think hed be a decent signing, i dont see Pennant being the answer to those right side problems i also think Pennant himself wont want to have another season where he only plays a handful of games so he might be looking to leave anyway.

Rash - calm down, mate. Count to ten. We now get that you don't rate Milner - and there are plenty of people in firm agreement with you. There's absolutely no need to place this particular bee in your not inconsiderable bonnet.

James Milner has only scored 2 league goals for Newcastle this season and wouldn't be an improvement on Kuyt or Pennant.

If we only have the funds to buy players like Milner and Degen then we might as well forget it and stick with the mediocre players that we currently have.

Milner will be signed only if the yanks stay, although there is a chance benitez will sign him to bascially tell supporters this is the type of player we will sign if they stay.

Hence my thread on "the players we will sign if the yanks stay"

Benitez is a fool if he does that. He should just keep dross like Voronin & co if he wants to prove a point rather than waste our money on yet more mediocrity.

I like Milner.

I don't dislike him, but is he really going to take us to the next level? Is he capable of scoring double figures in terms of league goals and creating a similar amount as well? Hard working, decent player but surely not good enough for a side with aspirations of challenging for a title.

We're already at 'that level'. Lost 2 in 18 games since we've changed system and Pennant obviously isnt working. He's a hard grafter. I'd welcome him.

I like the 4-2-3-1 formation and I think it suits the players that we have to play that way, but we have only scored 22 goals away from home in the league, whereas Arsenal have 36, Villa 35 and United 31. We need to find someone else who in addition to Torres and Gerrard and potentially Babel can get 12+ league goals a season, and can be a genuine threat for us in attack.

Milner is a good player, but not good enough for what we need. I'd rather keep Pennant, who in my opinion is better. Bentley would be a far better signing, but what really puzzles me is why we're going for right wingers when we really need someone to play on the left.

Milner is a good player, but not good enough for what we need. I'd rather keep Pennant, who in my opinion is better. Bentley would be a far better signing, but what really puzzles me is why we're going for right wingers when we really need someone to play on the left.

Agreed. The 3 players operating behind Torres should all be interchangeable and capable of switching positions during a game and must all be capable of scoring 10+ league goals a season.

We're already at 'that level'. Lost 2 in 18 games since we've changed system and Pennant obviously isnt working. He's a hard grafter. I'd welcome him.

I agree with the first part. I wouldn't get rid of Pennant personally, but if we do then we'd be better off getting rid of Kuyt as well and bringing in someone quality who can play the position properly, like Bentley. Can't see that happening though. If we're going to spend money on a replacement second choice right midfielder then we could do worse than Milner, although I quite like the look of that Adam Johnson at Middlesbrough as well.

I agree with the first part. I wouldn't get rid of Pennant personally, but if we do then we'd be better off getting rid of Kuyt as well and bringing in someone quality who can play the position properly, like Bentley. Can't see that happening though. If we're going to spend money on a replacement second choice right midfielder then we could do worse than Milner, although I quite like the look of that Adam Johnson at Middlesbrough as well.

To play the patient tactical games against top teams I'd have Kuyt before anyone as he usually is MOM. Pennant has shown glimpses of what he can do against the lesser teams but he doesnt go outside enough for me. This all could of course be Milners agent wanting a new contract.

We can never get enough mate... we collect full backs and centre midfielders to..

If there is truth in the article then it can only indicate that we're working with a very restricted budget based on sales as much as cash available. There really is no point in us getting rid of Pennant and brining in Milner (in fact, I'd say it's a backwards step, and I actually like Milner.)

Surely the sense in this signing (if we do sign him) has to be judged against the whole summers transfer activity rather than as a single transfer?

No it doesn't at all. We have players in his position who are already here and who are better than Milner. Kuyt, Benayoun and Pennant are all better than him.

I don't despair at all. Milner is better than Pennant, can play on the left or the right, can cross a ball and take a free kick, has excellent stamina and a good attitude, and (assuming he's available for a swap) won't cost us much.

Again, I can think of better, but he's an affordable upgrade in my opinion...

Surely the sense in this signing (if we do sign him) has to be judged against the whole summers transfer activity rather than as a single transfer?

True, and it's the same with Barry, but even if we sold two out of our three current right midfielders we would not be improving by signign Milner. Good player though he is, he's not as good as what we currently have. He's the epitome of the kind of player Dave was talking about not long ago in the "Players you like but who aren't good enough for us" thread.