You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Big Jim has moved above wife beater Giggseh in the Premier league appearance table. 20 games behind Gaz Baz now, hope he gets to beat him.

Don't see why not. He'll be in better shape than most Premier League players when he's in his mid fifties. 

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Dicko said:

He's got his badges.

He'll do.

Better than some of the beauts that've been mentioned anyway.

If there isn’t a perfect fit available, which it seems there isn’t. I wouldn’t be totally against this. 

Obviously it’s a risk, but so are all the candidates being currently linked. 

He’d need time, but there’s a future Liverpool manager in there. Next season would be a massive throw of the dice but he who dares…

2 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

Thought some of the shouts like Emery were mental but then see this. There are risks but giving the job to people who have managed before is way less of one than someone who hasn't. 

Moaning bastard.

5 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

Thought some of the shouts like Emery were mental but then see this. There are risks but giving the job to people who have managed before is way less of one than someone who hasn't. 

It's almost like 1985 never happened.

12 hours ago, Dicko said:

It's almost like 1985 never happened.

And all the other examples in recent years of teams appointing former players with no qualifications that haven't gone well? One example in our history from 40 years ago doesn't make it worthwhile. I get that Klopp is Klopp and nobody can replace him but we need a good manager to follow him not a stab in the dark. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

And all the other examples in recent years of teams appointing former players with no qualifications that haven't gone well? One example in our history from 40 years ago doesn't make it worthwhile.

Really?

Not that I want Milner anywhere near the club, but thats basically bollocks. 

Guardiola, Zidane, Enrique, Arteta, Alonso, etc, etc

7 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

And all the other examples in recent years of teams appointing former players with no qualifications that haven't gone well? One example in our history from 40 years ago doesn't make it worthwhile. I get that Klopp is Klopp and nobody can replace him but we need a good manager to follow him not a stab in the dark. 

Bob Paisley was a world class manager when he was appointed.

Except he was a coach who didn't even want the job.

Beckenbauer's first job was West Germany.

He got to two world cup finals winning one.

58 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Bob Paisley was a world class manager when he was appointed.

Except he was a coach who didn't even want the job.

Beckenbauer's first job was West Germany.

He got to two world cup finals winning one.

International management and club management are world's apart. Now the demands of being a top class manager are immense. People think just getting coaching qualifications is the end of the job requirements when it's barely the start. Psychology,sports massage,sports injuries,player development,diet and nutrition,stats knowledge,talent identification,etc etc are all things a top class coach needs knowledge of alongside football knowhow. There are likely other things I can't even think of at the moment. A player just ending his career will have very little of this yet. Our job demands one of the best candidates available.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

International management and club management are world's apart. Now the demands of being a top class manager are immense. People think just getting coaching qualifications is the end of the job requirements when it's barely the start. Psychology,sports massage,sports injuries,player development,diet and nutrition,stats knowledge,talent identification,etc etc are all things a top class coach needs knowledge of alongside football knowhow. There are likely other things I can't even think of at the moment. A player just ending his career will have very little of this yet. Our job demands one of the best candidates available.

Xabi Alonso now and Kenny back then prove it can be done.

And while I've got my tongue in my cheek with Milner looking at the names we're linked with I'd rather try something left field that might not work than something safe that you know definitely won't.