You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

8 hours ago, CapeRed said:

As fit as he is he was 2 or 3 yards off the pace last night. I think it is fine to use him as a late sub but not a starter . Would like him to be offered a position on the coaching staff.

Agree with this. Think the game passed him by a lot given Benfica were always going to go a bit eyeballs out in this.

But, I think Milner was a better choice than slinging young Curtis into the firing line, as it were.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree with this. Think the game passed him by a lot given Benfica were always going to go a bit eyeballs out in this.

But, I think Milner was a better choice than slinging young Curtis into the firing line, as it were.

Funnily enough,I'd have started Curtis last night and brought Milner on later. Playing both Henderson and Milner was not a good idea given how quick Benfica were.

• 3 weeks later...

Milner’s worth around the club is constantly referenced. His professionalism and attitude is clearly seen as key by Klopp.  That, with his undoubted football ability, as seen this weekend, makes a deal obvious. Yes, he won’t be starting against any of the top 6 these days, but he still has great worth in early cup rounds, especially guiding kids in the game. 

Also, it just feels right having Milner at the club. Get him signed. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Would deffo keep him as a coach, he needs to be around the dressing room, can't see us offering him any kind of playing deal though, he's 137 years old.

Of course he’ll get a playing deal? He can still come on late in games against lessor PL teams and start again lower league oppo in cups. 

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Would deffo keep him as a coach, he needs to be around the dressing room, can't see us offering him any kind of playing deal though, he's 137 years old.

So long as lifey is burning toast, Milner should be burning the opposition.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Of course he’ll get a playing deal? He can still come on late in games against lessor PL teams and start again lower league oppo in cups. 

Yeah I think he should but can't see them giving him one, they're pretty frugal the owners, we saw it with Gini. 

42 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

You’re cheating on us by going “elsewhere”?

I'm shocked and appalled by this Suzy. 

I’m sorry. It wasn’t another forum but an Lfc page on the book of faces. I can’t find it anywhere else though so looks like wishful thinking.

I actually thought it was mentioned on the commentary yesterday we'd offered him a new deal or at least were in talks, which I think is sort of the same - it's a starting point that both sides think there's value in another year. If milner stays, we need to be ruthless with Chamberlain. Get him out of the club and replace him with a talented young midfielder. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I actually thought it was mentioned on the commentary yesterday we'd offered him a new deal or at least were in talks, which I think is sort of the same - it's a starting point that both sides think there's value in another year. If milner stays, we need to be ruthless with Chamberlain. Get him out of the club and replace him with a talented young midfielder. 

Yeah, that’s the move isn’t it. Carvalho looks like he may have the tools to grow into right forward cover, but AOC moved on and a midfielder in the vein of Bellingham or the lad from Monaco would be a big step in the right direction for the midfield.

1 minute ago, Dr Nowt said:

Yeah, that’s the move isn’t it. Carvalho looks like he may have the tools to grow into right forward cover, but AOC moved on and a midfielder in the vein of Bellingham or the lad from Monaco would be a big step in the right direction for the midfield.

Yeah..I think we need someone who's ready to go. We've already 2 big projects in Elliot and Jones, I don't think we need a 3rd. I don't know enough about Bellingham (in fact haven't thought much of him on the rare occasion I've seen him) or tchouameni - but providing klopp thinks they're ready to compete in this midfield and be able to fill either 8 role, I'm good with that. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah..I think we need someone who's ready to go. We've already 2 big projects in Elliot and Jones, I don't think we need a 3rd. 

My thoughts exactly. No doubt the profile they’re looking at is someone Klopp thinks is ready for a starting role now but can still develop further. 

• Upvote 1

Klopp implied he'd been offered one in the post match and said it was up to him now.

I see people are still questioning his ability on the pitch. That's been the same since Klopp got here.

I also see some people still think Gini wasn't offered a contract, didn't go chasing one final pay day, and that Klopp actually wanted to keep him only for FSG to refuse.

That's fantastic fiction right there.

• Upvote 2