You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

Who'd be better in our team - James Milner or Dirk Kuyt? I'm not especially a fan of either player. Both are grafters with a great attitude and plenty of aggression, but Milner has more mobility, while Kuyt (I think) scores more goals.

• 10 years later...

A couple of years ago I was desperate for this guy to be able to walk away from us with something to show for his efforts.

CL winner, Supercup winner, World Club Cup winner, and now PL winner. Not bad, not bad at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

48 minutes ago, Anubis said:

A couple of years ago I was desperate for this guy to be able to walk away from us with something to show for his efforts.

CL winner, Supercup winner, World Club Cup winner, and now PL winner. Not bad, not bad at all.

I was underwhelmed when he signed him on a massive wage (at the time) but what a signing, gives everything on the pitch and his influence on the rest of the squad is monumental.

• Upvote 3

I hope there is some amnesty on this thread because this has turned into a confession.

When he signed. I was disappointed really. I felt he was  kinda cumbersome. Neither a winger nor a decent CM -  but somewhere in between. 

I recognised he had energy and experience but I didn't think he was gonna make much difference.

I was so badly wrong. He is a massive personality and dependable in all areas in the pitch.  I love him.

I am so made up up that he has been rewarded for his decision to join us. 

Guest Alex_K

This thread is 11 years old. Speaks to the longevity of the man; he'd already had quality stints at Leeds and Newcastle before this rolled around. Comparisons to Joe Cole signing (of which there were some at the time) were always off because their playing styles were so different.

Look back over the last page and there's a few comparisons with Kuyt; that's probably not too far off but Milner had a lot more technical ability than Kuyt ever did, was more adaptable & aged better too. Get the feeling Kuyt would have been a fine "mentality monster" under Klopp too in a squad that compensated for his deficiencies.

There are about 10 or so other players who have won the Premier League with two clubs.  Most of them won their second title because a big spending club wanted to buy the title: City bought loads of Goons, Carlos Tevez and Riyadh Mahrez; United bought Henning Berg (stop sniggering); Chelsea have got form with Ashley Cole, Nico Anelka and Riyadh Mahrez.  There are also a couple of aberrations: Mark Schwarzer (sat on his ares in two title winning squads, without playing a single game) and Robert Huth (Stoke-level lump in two title-winning squads, the second of which won the title almost by accident).

I think Big Games James is the first to move from Premier League winners to a team that was building towards a title.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Look back over the last page and there's a few comparisons with Kuyt; that's probably not too far off but Milner had a lot more technical ability than Kuyt ever did, was more adaptable & aged better too. Get the feeling Kuyt would have been a fine "mentality monster" under Klopp too in a squad that compensated for his deficiencies.

A 92nd-minute penalty to win the match... I'd be perfectly relaxed with either Dirk or Millie, to be honest.

Guest Alex_K
8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think Big Games James is the first to move from Premier League winners to a team that was building towards a title.

He's arguably the most exemplary professional in PL history. By the time he's finished with us it'll be 20 years at the highest level. And those aren't in Gareth Barry "couple of years at a top team 20 years in mediocrity" years, they're title winning/dynasty building years across multiple clubs as you say. The Villa & Newcastle teams he was in were pretty fine sides too by their historic standards.

The only British players that vie with him really in the longevity stakes are Giggs/Scholes and Milner wasn't gifted the fortune of starting alongside a generational-batch of other top talents at a stable club like United.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...