You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fish and Chips

Section_31

18 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've just had fish n chips n scraps with loads of salt and vinegar.

The fish was the size of a cricket bat and was flipping majestic and glorious.

I'd never heard of scraps until Tony posted a video of that fat Yorkshire fucker on youtube the other day.

When I was a lad in the fifties there was bread and butter on the table with every meal.
Before all the food safety laws and fish and chips were actually wrapped in  newspaper, we always used to collect newspapers and take to the local chippies to  swap for the batter bits out of the fryer.

• Upvote 1

For a drunken bet I ate this pickled egg which had been in this murky fucking jar in the Jacksons pub for what seemed like decades.

I like eggs and love vinegar and I was already pissed as a fart so the egg went down easy and I won the bet.

Walking down to the next pub and BOOOOOM, my arse fell out and I shit myself.

What a fucking fool.

• Upvote 9

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Remmie knows. 

What I don't know much about is Gravy on chips, we don't get that down here and will give it a whirl next time I'm up north. Don't think I have ever had it. Also keen on Poutine. 

Problem in both cases is getting the vegetarian version

10 minutes ago, Remmie said:

What I don't know much about is Gravy on chips, we don't get that down here and will give it a whirl next time I'm up north. Don't think I have ever had it. Also keen on Poutine. 

I’ve never had Poutine. I’ve been known to take a flask of my own gravy to eat-in chippies.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Remmie said:

*shakes head* You disappoint me.

When I was a kid we often had fish and chips on a Saturday lunchtime. I used to like going with my dad and standing in the queue, whilst warming my hand and maybe even the side of my face on the counter.

My ritual when we got home was to walk slowly up and down the hall until mine was plated up. It was the only way I could manage the excitement, hunger and anticipation. I always had fish, chips and mushy peas with two slices of buttered white bread. 

It was essential to get them down quickly before my mum, who had declared herself ‘not hungry’ when the order was made, started hovering. 

I miss those days. Hope my kids take positive memories of our fish and chip family meals into their adulthood the way I have into mine. 

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

There used to be a good one on the A64 just off the A1M heading towards Scarborough just outside York slightly set back on the left.

Last time we were there it was just fish and chips. The haddock was fantastic, bloody big as well and the chips were always good.

A few years ago now like.

Wackers used to be good in the town centre as well, that's a sit in place.

I think I know which one you mean. Just after the Highwayman Café?

24 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

I think I know which one you mean. Just after the Highwayman Café?

Which one?

The one on the A64 is just outside York heading towards Scarborough on the left. It has its own car park and as far as I can remember there are no other buildings there.

Wackers is in Scarborough town centre, right at the top of the hill by the shopping centre.

If you stand at the top of the hill, it's on your right.

It was really nice last time we were there, but that was a while ago.

It wasn't too cheap though from what I can remember.

Edit,  The one on the A64 is called Thompsons. It's an eat in or take away.

3 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I meant to say I am keen on trying Poutine, but never have unfortunately, what's your problem with Poutine? 

Poutine is proper good, but you need the proper 'squeaky' cheese curds.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

It was essential to get them down quickly before my mum, who had declared herself ‘not hungry’ when the order was made, started hovering. 

Bastards to a man these but to be fair I could have had 5 teas in a row if I walk past someone with chippy chips I want one 

• Upvote 1

On 20/05/2021 at 14:55, Carvalho Diablo said:

Peter Mandelson: "This avocado dip is delightful"

The bloke serving him in Verrall's chippy: "Those are mushy peas you posh cunt."

True story.

Not true according to the lying, slimy prick himself;

“But the guacamole story is not true I’m afraid. Great story, but not true.

“The story actually applies - as I explain in the book - to an American student helping out in the Knowsley North by-election in 1986, who walked into the fish and chip shop, pointed to the mushy peas and said I’ll have some of your guacamole as well thanks.

“Now, mainly, but not only thanks to Neil Kinnock, who thought it was hilarious, the joke was applied to me.

“I worked for the Labour party from 1985 to 1991 as the campaign director and at my leaving do he solemnly presented me with a large piece of fish and chips and mushy peas wrapped in the Daily Mirror, and said enjoy the guacamole.

“And from that moment on the story was transferred to me.”

On 20/05/2021 at 14:21, sir roger said:

Had a posh lady from HO visit our bank branch in Kirkby in the 80's , and to be 'part of the gang ' she came around with us to the chippy by the market. She was given her fish and chips and she said ' I would rather have liked some salt and vinegar '. The young lady  serving , who had more tattoos than Popeye just jerked her thumb towards the end of the counter and said ' Gerrit your fucking self '.

I have never heard it called the market in Kirkby, it was always the towny. 

I remember that chippy, end of a row just by the stalls, my nan used to take me shopping with her and as a treat I'd get a toy car from one of the stalls and a fishcake from that chippy.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Which one?

The one on the A64 is just outside York heading towards Scarborough on the left. It has its own car park and as far as I can remember there are no other buildings there.

Wackers is in Scarborough town centre, right at the top of the hill by the shopping centre.

If you stand at the top of the hill, it's on your right.

It was really nice last time we were there, but that was a while ago.

It wasn't too cheap though from what I can remember.

Edit,  The one on the A64 is called Thompsons. It's an eat in or take away.

Yeah, Thompsons. Thank you for reminding me of the name. I keep wanting to try it but the wife just wants to get to Scarborough hahaha.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I have never heard it called the market in Kirkby, it was always the towny. 

Always thought the towny was the whole town centre.

Was trying to differentiate  between the chippy by the market and the one around the front by the bus stops.

We called the latter one ' The rats ' because of the various stories re hygiene failures , and the one by the market ' The wrestlers ' as a result of the size and scariness of the young ladies serving.

• Upvote 1