You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

XP SP3

Not so far. It's just a cumulative batch of security updates. It seems to slightly improve the performance of XP, but it's a bit of a case of evolution not revolution.

I'm all for XP evolution as Vista seems to be dying on its arse.

I'm all for XP evolution as Vista seems to be dying on its arse.

Hear hear.

I help out a friends computer shop from time to time, spec out new systems for them and help build them of an evening over a few tins of beer kind of thing, and no-one has been asking for Vista on their new PCs at all. No-one.

The current trend is people asking for laptops with XP. Now, cheap(er) lappys with XP on from the suppliers is a rare thing, they all seem to come with Vista Basic/Home on them.

So, what we've been doing is charging them the little extra (£45 or so at wholesale cost) for XP Home (which most of them don't mind, seeing as they can't find a new XP lappy anywhere else at any price), installing it for them and leaving them the Vista recovery disks/product key that was supplied with the lappy on for them for when/if they choose to "upgrade" in the future.

Hear hear.

I help out a friends computer shop from time to time, spec out new systems for them and help build them of an evening over a few tins of beer kind of thing, and no-one has been asking for Vista on their new PCs at all. No-one.

The current trend is people asking for laptops with XP. Now, cheap(er) lappys with XP on from the suppliers is a rare thing, they all seem to come with Vista Basic/Home on them.

So, what we've been doing is charging them the little extra (£45 or so at wholesale cost) for XP Home (which most of them don't mind, seeing as they can't find a new XP lappy anywhere else at any price), installing it for them and leaving them the Vista recovery disks/product key that was supplied with the lappy on for them for when/if they choose to "upgrade" in the future.

Mrs RiS has Vista on her laptop and it is shit sandwich. It irritates the fuck out of me.

I've had Vista for a year now, and apart from shite drivers from Creative for my X-Fi Soundblaster (which is now fixed) I've had no problems at all.

What specifically are people bitching about with regards to Vista?

I don't like the new explorer window. I admit I haven't given it much time but I find navigating really unintuitive.

I hate the new explorer interface too and the way it stores user profiles when a computer is connected to a domain. It's actually quite nice looking and runs at a reasonable speed, but in business you need something with a better server environment behind it and more backwards compatibility with older software and hardware. As a home user it would probably be fine for me, but as a business user, it's a pain in the cock.

Make sure you only download the version released from Microsoft via their website.

A few torrents were released which were an old build which wasnt to be released and has a tendancy to fuck your pc up due to resetting a lot.

not sure if it was SP2 or 3, but I installed one of the cunts & they utterly, utterly fucked up my computer. to the extent that I now have mac so I don't have to deal with it anymore. some may think this was an over-reaction, but they would be wrong.