You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peep Show

I had it set to record on the box thing and some fucker turned the bastard thing off. Gutted. I don't know why we bother with the fucking thing to be honest, it just gets turned off whenever I leave stuff to record.

I missed it too, K. Get it on 4OD - on for 30 days I think...

• 5 weeks later...
How many series of Peep Show has there been and where can I get them for cheap?

Like AdamS, I have only watched this for 4 weeks now and it is brilliant.

You can get the first 4 seasons in a box set from HMV for 22 notes, I've got it myself. I think the early series are possibly better, so it's worth getting.

• 4 years later...

New series starts on Sunday at 10pm on Channel 4, so here was a bit of promotion Sam Bain did for it today on The Guardian website:

Peep Show's funniest moments - by the man who wrote them | Television & radio | The Guardian

Peep-Show-008.jpg

Peep Show's funniest moments - by the man who wrote them

The El Dude brothers are back. But what are the most memorable scenes from the last seven series? Writer Sam Bain picks his favourite lines and reveals some of the secrets behind the show

SERIES 1 PILOT

Jeremy: "He's normally back by now. Maybe he's dead? Oh, there he is, he's not dead after all."

This line was filmed for the pilot which was never broadcast. But it's always been a reminder to me of why writing voiceovers for Peep Show is so fun. The sort of appalling, throwaway thing you can think in half a second but would never ever say can happily be broadcast on television to thousands of people. (Or in this case, no people.)

SERIES 2, EPISODE 1: DANCE CLASS

Mark: "If there isn't a place here for people who stand against everything you believe in, well then what sort of a hippy free-for-all is this?"

Peep Show's not the sort of show that involves a huge amount of research, other than listening to your own insane thoughts more attentively and asking your friends for humiliating anecdotes. But for this episode, I, along with Jesse Armstrong, Olivia Colman and Iain Morris (our commissioning editor) went to a church hall in Brixton to research the "Rainbow Rhythms" dance class. Jesse and Olivia escaped early to the pub while Iain and I stayed to watch middle-aged women weep and hump the floor. Not the average way to bond with your boss, but definitely constructive.

SERIES 3, EPISODE 2: SECTIONING

Jeremy: "I'm just really not happy with Free The Paedos. Can't we call it something more normal like – the Swan And Tomato?"

Super Hans: "Yeah? Or, compromise ... The Swan And Paedo."

Super Hans is the kind of character who doesn't need his own voiceover because he says everything he thinks anyway. We wrote the part with Danny Dyer in mind and Russell Brand gave a memorable audition but Matt King is and will always be Super Hans. This bit of dialogue was a fun collaboration with producer Robert Popper. If you're bored of an afternoon I recommend trying to think of the worst possible name for a pub. I may even market this as a board game.

SERIES 4, EPISODE 5: HOLIDAY

Mark: "Jeremy. There are many things I would do to help you. But digging a hole in the wintry earth with my bare hands so that you can bury the corpse of a dog you killed is not one of them."

We were brainstorming around the idea of Jeremy hiding a dog he'd accidentally killed – credit is due to Jesse for suggesting he actually eat it. It's often the ideas that seem most ridiculous that end up on screen. Like the concept of a sitcom filmed entirely from the points of view of the main characters.

SERIES 5, EPISODE 1: BURGLING

Big Suze: "Mark, are you allowed to sit on random children?"

Mark: "He had my watch on. I want my Medal Of Honor back."

Jeremy: "At least stop sitting on him. You look like a dick."

There are quite a few real-life experiences that have made it into Peep Show. When I was working at a video shop in the mid-90s I apprehended, and sat on, a teenager attempting to steal a PlayStation. Much like Jeremy, my manager wasn't keen on my frankly childish approach to restraint and I was forced to let him go out of embarrassment. An explanation that didn't massively impress the two policemen who eventually turned up.

SERIES 6, EPISODE 6: DAS BOOT

Mark: "I can't find the biting point! I've lost the biting point!!!"

Jeremy: "Why are you indicating? Don't indicate! Just fucking go!"

Mark: "I need to alert other road users to my intentions!"

I always feel slightly guilty when David Mitchell and Robert Webb are forced to fend off the assumption that they are Mark and Jeremy; David and Robert being intelligent, sophisticated successes and Mark and Jeremy being immoral, feckless losers. However we did shamelessly borrow the fact that David Mitchell can't drive for this episode. It's a lesser-known fact that David also once pissed in a drawer at a credit control agency.

SERIES 7, EPISODE 5: SEASONAL BEATINGS

Dobby: "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Mark: "Like what?"

Dobby: "Like you're trying to fry my brain with your laser vision."

Post-wedding, we needed a new love interest for Mark and we were inspired by characters like Enid from Ghost World to have a go at a female geek. Thus Dobby was born. This Christmas episode is one of Isy Suttie's best in my opinion, although watching our vegetarian art director having to cook three massive turkeys took some of the fun out of it.

SERIES 8, EPISODE 1

Mark: "Soon Dobby will be moved in with me."

Jeremy: "And then you can keep her in your cellar like Fritzl?"

Mark: "No. God. Why bring Fritzl into this?"

Jeremy: "It's just the twin human desires isn't it? To Fritzl the ones we love, or let them fly free. I'm just saying in general you're more of a Fritzl type."

Mark: "I am not Fritzl!"

Jeremy: "Touchy! Fritzl-type Mark. A Fritzl type."

This is a excerpt from the new series which definitely isn't a spoiler because it doesn't even appear – the scene got cut. Such is the harsh reality of the edit. They often tell screenwriters to "kill their darlings" but they can't stop them occasionally being resuscitated and printed in the Guardian. I will always love you, my dead darlings.

^^^

Agreed re Johnson. The bit that had me laughing the most is when Mark is ill & taking a shit and Johnson barges in "ARE YOU OK MARK? Is this normal poo'ing Mark? Doesn't sound normal. Doesn't.......smell......normal"

Can't be arsed to find the You Tube clip but that bit is genius.