You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amy Winehouse...

Kopite

I was gonna say! That was a very good album.

Saw her live in 2007 I think it was. She was six months into her junkie days and skinny as fuck but still absolute class. People sometimes get blinkered by anything modern being better than anything old. Most recent (last 15 years) music has been shite but there are a few gems in there. Her talent was one.

It all went downhill after Be Here Now.

• Upvote 1

She was a Brit School karaoke warbler who found she could write decent songs, made a load of money then overindulged in stuff she already was partial to.  

That said, if Winehouse and Adele had swapped addictions early on, the world would probably be a better place right now.

• Upvote 2

I think she was very average, Brit School, mundane, soul by numbers, chopped liver.

I'm not really interested in what goes on in people's private lives, it's the music that matters at the end of the day & when you put her Marc Ronson produced Motown pastiche-type stuff up against the greats like Aretha Franklin or Ella Fitzgerald then it sounds like a little girl on a Karaoke machine at a Christmas party in comparison.

• Upvote 2

I think she was very average, Brit School, mundane, soul by numbers, chopped liver.

I'm not really interested in what goes on in people's private lives, it's the music that matters at the end of the day & when you put her Marc Ronson produced Motown pastiche-type stuff up against the greats like Aretha Franklin or Ella Fitzgerald then it sounds like a little girl on a Karaoke machine at a Christmas party in comparison.

Sorry mate but you could not be more wrong.

Hugely talented, massive voice, lovely girl vulnerable and  surrounded by wankers.

Hugely talented, massive voice, lovely girl vulnerable and  surrounded by wankers.

I fail to see what the last three points have to do with anything I've said but am always happy to disagree on the music, it would we boring if we all liked the same stuff.

I fail to see what the last three points have to do with anything I've said but am always happy to disagree on the music, it would we boring if we all liked the same stuff.

Happy to disagree mate.

You said Brit school, soul by numbers.

She was the complete opposite of that.

That is what killed her. She loved music. Not fame. She died because it was about celebrity not singing anymore.

Hugely talented, massive voice, lovely girl vulnerable and surrounded by wankers.

I think your talent and voice comments are beyond dispute; not sure on the lovely girl bit but she was certainly vulnerable and preyed upon by cunts.

. She died because it was about celebrity not singing anymore.

Ermm.,, you may be giving her a bit too much credit here - she was a a wee bit unbalanced far before she was famous.

I put her in the same category as Josh Stone and Alanis Morrisette - attractive gals who can sing pretty well and have a couple stories to tell.

As a singer though, she is not at the level Sharon Jones is now if you want a contemporary.

Ermm.,, you may be giving her a bit too much credit here - she was a a wee bit unbalanced far before she was famous.

I put her in the same category as Josh Stone and Alanis Morrisette - attractive gals who can sing pretty well and have a couple stories to tell.

As a singer though, she is not at the level Sharon Jones is now if you want a contemporary.

Sharon Jones benefits from age as all great soul and jazz singers do. However, Amy Winehouse undoubtedly had a truly great voice that's comparable at the same age with any of the greats. The problem with the sorts of comparisons that are made with her (Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, etc) is that these women are bone fide legends whose body of work was vast and had decades to establish itself. Furthermore, they all worked with some of the greatest musicians and writers of all time.

That does not change the fact that Amy Winehouse was an incredible singer though - and she was a great writer too. Her lyrics are fucking superb; coruscating doesn't begin to do them justice, especially on Frank. However, it's her voice that stands out for me. I've no idea how you can lump her in with Joss Stone and (bizarre comparison) Alanis Morissette. Emotionally, they are so inferior to her, it's laughable. Her scat also lifts her way beyond those two. 

I've listened to the great jazz and soul singers all my life and Amy easily fits into that category in terms of talent. Clearly the fact that she only wrote and recorded a few dozens songs makes it impossible for her ever to join those women in terms of impact, but there's no doubt whatsoever that she could really fucking sing. 

• Upvote 2

Sharon Jones benefits from age as all great soul and jazz singers do. However, Amy Winehouse undoubtedly had a truly great voice that's comparable at the same age with any of the greats. The problem with the sorts of comparisons that are made with her (Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, etc) is that these women are bone fide legends whose body of work was vast and had decades to establish itself. Furthermore, they all worked with some of the greatest musicians and writers of all time.

That does not change the fact that Amy Winehouse was an incredible singer though - and she was a great writer too. Her lyrics are fucking superb; coruscating doesn't begin to do them justice, especially on Frank. However, it's her voice that stands out for me. I've no idea how you can lump her in with Joss Stone and (bizarre comparison) Alanis Morissette. Emotionally, they are so inferior to her, it's laughable. Her scat also lifts her way beyond those two. 

I've listened to the great jazz and soul singers all my life and Amy easily fits into that category in terms of talent. Clearly the fact that she only wrote and recorded a few dozens songs makes it impossible for her ever to join those women in terms of impact, but there's no doubt whatsoever that she could really fucking sing. 

I agree she could sing. I see her as a pop singer tbh - use her best time - as Stig said in London in 07 is as good as she gets, on the Soul/R/B slant it is very derivative, right down to the outfits.

The comparison with Morrisette was in the few good stories she told. If you want to make the argument on the length of her career - how does she stack against Joplin? They both died at exactly the same age.

Yes she was. Easily. Stature as an artist is another matter, but vocally she was right up there. Most people know her voice from Back to Black with the soul/R&B stylings. Frank is a far better indication of her vocal talent though.