You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women and football

WaltonRed

The best comment from a woman about football I've heard is a few years ago when we were in sixth form. Me and my mates were all talking about footy in the common room and one of my mates' birds was with us. You could tell that she was dying to talk and say something but knew fuck all about the subject so you could she was frustrated. Anyway, there was a brief pause and she piped up and said "hey, err... do you know who's a good football team?"

We all asked who and she turned round and said, "that errrm... err... errrm... that AC Madrid lot."

Fucking cracking shout that.

Many women don't care about the game and Mrs G is one of those. She will probably sit down for the final if we make it though, since she can appreciate the magnitude of that. But she does not understand why I attach such importance to it all.

That said, lots of women know the game well. I see Cath popped in earlier and might come back later. I hope this doesn't sound smarmy (thanks RiS for reminding me of this word in your thread) as it is difficult to say on a forum without it being misconstrued, but here goes: Cath clearly knows her football more than many on here. Just my humble opinion, like.

My girlfriend always says stuff like "It's only a game" after we lose, which is probably in the top five worst things you can say to a bloke if their team has just lost.

That's a criminal act in our house, but the wife wouldn't be that stupid to say 'its only a game'.

Can't think of anything worse though after your team loses, what are your other 4 DC??

I know about 5 who understand and love the game and are Reds....

maybe the only 5 on the planet though ;)

As well as Cath (I think Cath knows her stuff, footywise. Others will disagree, of course), I know 3 like the 5 you have mentioned. Unless we know some of the same people, that makes 8.

Mrs. Stouffer is a Carlisle fan, draw your own conclusions.

You have my condolences.

My missus isn't too bad really, she isn't a huge fan but likes watching Liverpool and knows what she's talking about when it comes to us.

That's a criminal act in our house, but the wife wouldn't be that stupid to say 'its only a game'.

Can't think of anything worse though after your team loses, what are your other 4 DC??

Well, football related and in no particular order:

"At least they tried"

"But it was a good goal"

"You can't win them all"

"There's no need to get so angry about it"

Or something along those lines.

My nan tends to ring me when we score and after we win or lose, she seems to know quite lot about it but i think this has only come on recently as she NEVER used to talk about it, although when the semi was on Tuesday she would rather watch eastenders and listen to it on the radio at same time, baffling truly is, i love my nan.

Well, football related and in no particular order:

"At least they tried"

"But it was a good goal"

"You can't win them all"

"There's no need to get so angry about it"

Or something along those lines.

Or another womens favourite...

When you are shouting at the tele

"They cant here you y'know"

FUCK. OFF

Cheers G & Gaz. I do think women have a different perception of football than men. My generation of women didn't grow up playing football. A few of us tomboys might've had a kick around in the park but that's it. I think this gives us a lack of technical knowledge. I've watched games since 77 and I still don't comprehend how some of the footballers on here talk about the game. This is changing though as more women play football now.

Women don't get any peer pressure to be football fans. Men are supposed to know what's happening with certain teams. Woman who have that sort of knowledge are looked upon as social freaks. It's often so much easier to get into the "It's only a game" attitude. It's almost expected.

Woman have had a huge influence on the game. (Ref.) It was only the influence of a bunch of paranoid males, called the FA, that killed the women's game.

Me and my bird have had some memorable fights over football. it's about all we do fight about. Her family are all mancs and she's a manc sympathiser which pisses me off. Last night she said she like Rooney and I nearly planted her one. also she hates it when i'm buzzing after we win, for example after the arsenal game she was in a bitch of a mood when i got home! she's jealous of liverpool!!

My girlfriend is a big footy, to the extent that for my birthday two years ago she took my to Barcelona for three nights to coincide with the Barca-Atletico Madrid game which we attended and I got to see Torres first hand before he signed!

I missed out on the Bayern-Zenit game because my wife slipped down the stairs (the first step is full of ice from a faulty eavestrough) and then slid down the ice pack where the stairs end where she then careened into the '98 Jeep Cherokee. She had to take the day off because whe wrenched he back and bruised her shoulder in the fall.

Because I found this rather amusing she said there was no way I was watching fucking football unless I shovelled steps into the snow. She watched some soap opera- now what is the point of that?

What am I? A fucking Sherpa?

I haven't managed to slip all winter.